Motor home?

alake

We are planning on purchasing a new diesel pusher motor home, most likely in early 2012. My girls will be nearly five, and 6, and I am wondering what your idea of where to put car seats, and what seats would work good. Summer is currently just over 40 pounds, and gains about two pounds a year, so unless she hits a large growth spurt, she will be roughly 43 pounds. Leah is tiny. She is 28 pounds, and is forward facing, due to suffering motion sickness. We will be using the RV on a publicity trip, for my DH with his work, roughly three weeks. We are also going to be pulling a car behind it, so while he is working we can be doing our own thing. What kind of seats, where, and how are the logistics of this. We are going to be purchasing new seats for the girls, as we are moving to the States, we have two ordered, but may return them and get a couple of more. Ideas??

ADS

alake

Yes a fifth wheel could be an option. I will look into getting a fifth wheel. I had never really thought about that.

jnamommy

My understanding is that a fifth wheel is much, much safer. Carseats cannot be installed on any side facing sides (typical in a motorhome), and most motorhome seatbelts are only connected to the seat, not the frame. In addition, a motorhome is full or projectiles that will be flying around in a crash.

alake

My understanding is that a fifth wheel is much, much safer. Carseats cannot be installed on any side facing sides (typical in a motorhome), and most motorhome seatbelts are only connected to the seat, not the frame. In addition, a motorhome is full or projectiles that will be flying around in a crash.
Thank you for the information. I think am going to spend the afternoon looking online for a fifth wheel, and also look into getting a truck. This makes sense to me. I really couldn't think of the logistics of having two kids in car seats, knowing that there seats had to be on seats that faced forward.

alake

anyone have thoughts on Toy haulers. I was looking at fifth wheels, and this is what I was thinking. We are going to be gone for nearly a month, and the girls are going to want to bring many toys, including there bikes and what not. We are most likely done with having children, and the girl's would like the idea of a loft bed for them. They sleep well in the same bed, even though at home they don't. I am thinking that the garage area on the back end could be used as a play area for the girls while we travel. This will be used on more vacations than just this one. We will most likely take it home a couple of times and we are planning a trip in a couple years to go across the states.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes, a toy hauler would be fine, though unless you have a lot of work equipment or things like motorcycles, boats, ATVs, etc., it might be overkill. You can put bikes on a bike rack.

I would definitely look into a fifth wheel or travel trailer over a motorhome for the safety aspect. With a trailer you have more vehicle choices. With a fifth wheel you have to have a pickup, obviously.

Make sure you pick out your trailer/fifth wheel before you make your vehicle purchase, and be sure you get a vehicle with the proper tow rating for whatever trailer you get.

alake

Yes we may not need the toy hauler for this trip, but when we go home, we will be hauling many larger toys, my dirt bike, and most likely my DH`s motor bike, plus the girls items. I think this is what we are going to go with, and use it for the first time as a toy room.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
alake said:
Yes we may not need the toy hauler for this trip, but when we go home, we will be hauling many larger toys, my dirt bike, and most likely my DH`s motor bike, plus the girls items. I think this is what we are going to go with, and use it for the first time as a toy room.

In that case it sounds like a toy hauler might be just what you need.

tjham

My son has a Toy Hauler (Rampage) and they LOVE it! I was so worried when they talked about getting an RV. I asked them to look into a trailer of some kind and was thrilled when they found the TH. Now they have quads and dirt bikes and it has just worked out great!

ElfJewel

My mom has a toy hauler and it has a loft bed in the storage part. It comes down from the ceiling. I think hers is a smaller one but its still pretty nice. Something you can tow is better because you know the kids are safe in the car.

alake

the one that I like is a keystone Raptor, it has a balcony like extension on the back, so we can have a place to BBQ or just hang out. Now just to find a truck that I like that has the options that I like, the gentleman I contacted told me that I would need a bigger truck. We have a Chevy 1500 crew cab, and we are going to at least need a 2500, if not a 3500. The three week trip will be in city`s, I am not much about staying in hotel`s, so this is why we are looking at a fifth wheel, and also why we are looking at something with an indoor place for the girl`s to play. I am hoping to have Leah, who will be four on August 22 riding a two wheeler this summer. Summer just started riding one, and Leah is bound and determined to be riding one by her fourth birthday, and is making many strides in learning.

Last edited:

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
A tag-a-long bike might be good to have. Our youngest started riding a 2-wheeler at 3y last fall. She has trouble keeping up with everyone and prefers the tag-a-long for long distances.

I agree with a trailer/5th wheel over an RV. We had a trailer we pulled with our truck last year. Hoping for another next year.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC