How do you keep a boostered kid from unbuckling their sibling on accident?

todzwife

I just had this happen today. :( We're still waiting on DD1's RNXTSL to dry so she's outboard in a turbo and DS is center in a backless harmony. I told him not to unbuckle, just to shimmy under the belt, but he forgot today and managed to unbuckle his baby sister's marathon (outboard drivers). I didn't even notice until we got home.:thumbsdown:
Other than using the "latch", is there a way to prevent this from happening again? He can't see the buckle stalks, so he has to guess which is his and which was his sisters...and he guessed wrong.

ADS

christineka

I put rough velcro on the car seat button and soft velcro on the booster button. (Except now both buckles are used for car seats.)

TerisBoys

A baby sock with the toe cut out will slip over the buckle giving a tactile reminder not to touch that one.

If you have sticky-back velcro, a small piece of the pokey side on the button of the seat you don't want unbuckled makes a good reminder too.

If those don't work, another option is to move him into the position that only has one seatbelt to unbuckle.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
When possible, I put the booster on the other side of the harnessed seat so their buckles don't cross.

todzwife

This isn't our usual set up, just a temp solution for the last couple of days while DD's RN cover dried. IT's dry now and I'm going to put it back together and get it reinstalled tonight.

mlohry

Really good ideas! My mom has unbuckled my DD a couple times in her car as the Scenera fits better in the middle and my mom likes to sit in the back with DD. My mom refuses to drive when my DD is in the car, she's too scared.

scoutingbear

Aluminum foil wrapped around the buckle stalk of the seat you don't want unbuckled...lots of it. No matter how many times A hits his sister's buckle, it won't come undone. Thanks to KQ for that! (Although, when we did the same thing in dh's car, he had a fit that we were trying to turn his car into a spaceship...we also had a tethered RF RN and he hadn't seen a seat RF tethered before either...and we had to "take apart his car" to do that as well.)

todzwife

Was just coming back to suggest this - it works well in a pinch if you don't have top-buttons on the buckles.

Ours are top buttons ;)

I managed to get the marathon in with the latch. Our anchors are SO far into the seat bite it is really hard, I have to do it completely blind.

The RN is put back together and I'll reinstall it tomorrow. I have a sad, sick little one in my lap.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC