Flying... Layovers

abcd

We're still deciding which carseat to use for our upcoming travel, Radian XTSL or a Coccoro. We have an 18-mo old. My question right now is not carseat related.

I hope I can ask this question here. I'm trying to choose a flight. We're flying from the SE to Hawaii.

We can either choose 1 stop or 2 stops. Which would you recommend? Is it better to have more layovers?

For the layover, how long of a layover would you recommend? 1hr? 2hr? 3hr?

Thanks! :)

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I just did flights with an hour layover and longer would have been better. We had time to get off one plane, run to the next and get on. They would have benefited from some running around time.

And take the CCO. I took my CCO and an XTSL and was about ready to throw the Radian away. The CCO was a dream though ;)

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

vonfirmath

I'd do as few layovers as possible - -and at least a 2 hr layover (I'm too harried on a 1 hr layover in case of delays, etc)

But take a LOT of extra diapers. I usually carried 1 per hour I expect to be gone. And then tuck 1 or 2 extra in if I can find space.

My sister came up to see us with my nephew. And was on her last diaper when she finally landed in Seattle -- and airports don't sell diapers.

marjen

I like one decently long layover when I fly with our DD. 1 hour is too short...especially if there are unexpected delays. I like to have enough time to get off the plane (usually takes us longer with the car seat)...go to the bathroom...get a snack/meal...and get energy out. She has a backpack with a strap that we can hold...she runs all over the airport lol :) I'd do at least 2 hours. I also don't like more than 1 layover because it throws in more variables (delays/cancelled flights etc).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Normally we have done a single, longer layover, but I'm taking my girls this next week and will do 2 short stops (VA to HI--stopping in Detroit and LA or something). I hope it's long enough for us to go potty, at least (I know I can barely make it from plane to plane when it's just me, they'd better be ready to run, lol)

abcd

Thank you all for sharing your experience. :)

vonfirmath, thanks for the recommendation on bringing more diapers. I would hate to run out.

jnamommy

The less layovers, the better. Every layover means getting off the plane, lugging your stuff to the next gate, getting on the next plane, installing seats and arranging carryons again, etc. I like to get on and off as few times as possible :)

I would agree that a 1 hour layover is definitely not enough - not to unload, switch gates, bathroom stop, snacks, etc. You don't want to be harried and stressed in the airport.

Besides the diapers, don't forget an extra set of clothes for the kid(s) - in case of any diaper blowouts.

kalamos23

Beyond which, if you get delayed even slightly at one airport, your 1 hour could be only 20 or 30 minutes by the time you land and get off the plane... and it is NOT fun to try and run from one end of the airport to the other trying to meet your connecting flight...

Eclipsepearl

When flying with children, it's easier and wiser to avoid any connections. Non-stop is definitely the way to go with kids!

It's really grim to pull a sleeping child off the plane and every connection means possible delays and misconnects. Not to mention possible lost baggage...

Connecting often means adding flight time because you're changing the route. West Coast to Europe, stopping on the East Coast can add about 3 hours since it's so much further south than the nonstop route.

Also, with the new airport taxes, every time you pass through an airport, these often-heavy fees get lopped on to the price of your ticket. Only if you are flying on an award ticket does it pay to connect.

If you absolutely have no choice, be sure to leave at least 1 hour domestically, 2 hours internationally, especially arriving in N. America. For Customs and Immigration, you must do it at your "first port of entry" and that can take as long as 3 hours in high season.

If all else is equal, go for a long/short flight rather than chopping up the journey in half. If something goes wrong, you're then closer to either where you're coming from or where you're going. For Hawaii, get on that flight as close as possible. Alternate routes are tricky as those flight are full, full, full!

I recommend for international travel, that you connect outside the States. For example, if you have a choice of connecting to somewhere either via Chicago, or directly into Frankfurt, then connecting, go for Frankfurt. On your way back, you will only have to go through immigration and you wont have to reclaim your bags.

One factor in deciding is how often there are flights between the connection point and your final destination. I wont go through Amsterdam because there's only one flight between here and there. There are 5 from Frankfurt. Also what time of day. You really want to avoid the business crowd, returning from work in the late afternoon/early evening.

Have a great time in Hawaii (and stay away from Waikiki!) Great kid-friendly destination!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
When flying with children, it's easier and wiser to avoid any connections. Non-stop is definitely the way to go with kids!

For me I've found this depends on the time of travel and the kids. If it's an early morning or late night flight, I want it to be as long as possible. If it's daytime I don't mind breaking it up and giving them some time to run around and play, get a real meal, use the toilet (Laine doesn't like airplane bathrooms, and I've had to use our portable potty on our last flights).

It's really grim to pull a sleeping child off the plane and every connection means possible delays and misconnects. Not to mention possible lost baggage...

We don't check baggage, so no concern for us there. And with a Coccoro it's easy to pull off a sleeping child and not wake them. I attach Laine to my suitcase right in the aisle of the plane and pull her off asleep. I've gotten her to our next plane and reinstalled before she woke.

Loved the rest of your advice, thanks!!

Anyway, wanted to offer my two cents, since it's so vastly different from yours. I know you don't like carrying on luggage and filling the overhead bins, but we love having all of our stuff with us and not having worry of a missed flight or an unexpected overnight layover. I notice flight attendants carry on their luggage, and we take the same amount as they do. One suitcase each and then I have a backpack.

Wendy

KaiLing

At 18 months, call us crazy, but we preferred as many layovers as possible. We'd fly three flights across the US instead of Newark to SFO because the kid got to move around. It was tiring for us, but way better for him. And my last flight across the country was so bumpy the fasten seat belt light was on the entire time, which was pretty darn hard for bathroom breaks and getting toys out of luggage.

Now, when we went to Hawaii from the North East in march with a 2 year old it was 24 hours door to door and the poor child slept for an hour and a half, most of which was under a table in LAX during a loooong layover. I don't think we did that trip well, but I think that had to do with him not getting comfortable anywhere, really.

I have bought disposable diapers in the Newark airport. They were $2.50 each at the small place (a two pack for $5, this is a pretty standard item at bigger airports, I think), but we got delayed 24 hours going to Europe so I sought out the bigger pharmacy and got a 24 pack for some less horrific but still high price. (That trip was when I gave up traveling with disposable diapers and became the crazy lady with a back pack full of cotton diapers. Cause you can wash 'em in a sink.)

Chris

I too prefer layovers. to let the kids out to run. I haven't flown at night, or internationally, but on day flights, we like to break it up. I won't take anything with a layover under an hour, I really like it when they are about 1 1/2 hrs. Long enough to get out, get our bearings, play/run around, eat, and get to our next flight. Layovers that are longer than 2 hrs stress me out because then my kids are getting tired and bored and we either have to start walking all over the place for entertainment, or we have to try for a nap (I'd prefer to save that for the plane).

Most big airports have play areas now. My last flight I was very pregnant and I based my flights off of which airports had good play areas so that I could just sit and watch the kids without having to figure out how to entertain them.

I second the take lots of diapers and I would recommend 2 outfits if you have the space. Without fail, my kids in diapers have needed the spare, and sometimes the 2nd spare set. I have a cousin who flew from HI and her daughter had a MASSIVe blowout. It ended up all over kid and mom, and neither had spare clothes. The stench was so bad, despite her attempts to clean up in the bathroom, that other passengers gave her their clothes:thanx!:

luvsviola

For me, I'd rather have as few layovers as possible. Less loading/unloading, less chance your luggage and stroller get destroyed or lost, and a faster travel day. I always try to schedule EARLY morning or late at night so the kids will sleep, and will pay up to $75 a ticket more for direct flights. I take extra clothes and enough diapers that if my flight gets cancelled, I can be fine for 24 hours.

DahliaRW

If you can fly through O'Hare with a connection that is my FAVORITE! We schedule around 3 hours. They have a fantastic children't play area that the Chicago Children's Museum put together. It's a little mock airport. So we usually get off the plane, get something to eat, and then let the kids play for as long as possible before we go catch our next flight. We often will pay a tiny bit more to fly through O'Hare versus other airports because the play area is so great. But, where we fly there are no direct flights (SEA to PIT), so we have no choice but a layover.

Eclipsepearl

I actually take a bus 2 1/2 hours so I can avoid connecting with my kids. Sooooo much easier. Being on the plane overnight and then having to get off, change gates and get on another plane was really grim. The bus is better because we can sleep right away (no having to check-in, board, etc.)

As a Flight Attendant and among the expat community here, I have seen way too many connection horror stories to promote this. If you still want to connect (and by all means, if it saves you money, do it!) but avoid it in winter. I got stuck in Chicago overnight once in a snowstorm (SFO-BOS). It was before I flew for a living.

With 11 1/2 hours in the air, I don't want to add any extra time to that. Once, we had to stop in Iceland and it made the trip so much longer (and really, really confusing for my then 3 year old who kept asking where her grandparents were and why we weren't getting off). Another time, I had to connect through the East Coast and we arrived 8 hours later!

Stopping to let the children run around is not worth it IMHO. We were running to our next gate so there was no chance to eat or do anything else. Our incoming was delayed and we barely made it. It was stressful.

For those of you who try to avoid baggage charges by bringing everything on board, be aware that it wont make you popular with the crew. When you pack, be sure to separate the things you need for your flight vs. the things you're just bringing on board. That way, if a F/A or agent tells you that you have too much stuff, you can easily gate-check one of your bags without realizing you have things you need in it and it's gone. Also, you can stow that bag wherever you can and just keep the one with you that you will use.

BTW, you don't have to bring flight manuals, flash lights and all the extra things that the F/A's are required to have with them so comparing your amount of stuff to theirs' isn't really valid.

About the seat belt sign... If you are on the flight and your little one needs the restroom, get up and use it. I'm not talking about on landing or take-off or if it's really, really bumpy but some pilots just love keeping that light on :/ I flew coast-to-coast on a rival airline once and darned if it wasn't on the WHOLE TIME! It was hardly bumpy at any time! I was thinking "What's up with this?"

If you get up, you get up at your own risk. So if you bump your head while in the lav, you can't sue the airline. You were warned.

I personally, would rather take the minimal risk of being injured vs. my toddler having an accident. The crew has to tell you to take your seat or remind you that the seat belt sign is on. Tell them "I know I'm up at my own risk" or whatever. Be nice and let them know that you are in a desperate situation.

If you're not big into rule-breaking (bravo!) you can try negotiating. Ask them when it will be turned off. I've called the cockpit with a "That sign has been on for ages and we have some bursting bladders back here in economy" pitch and it's worked. Also "Passengers would like to take care of their needs. Any chance of turning it off anytime soon? What should I tell them?" Hopefully, the FA's are sick of it too!

I used to say "I have to keep reminding you of the seat belt sign!" as people would dive into the restrooms. I wasn't going to accost them and force them back into their seats. So do what you or your child needs to do.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC