RSTV expirations?

NancyV908

I understand that with a standard carseat there is possible degradation of plastic or other materials issues with selling something older, which I assume are irrelevant in my case. One is six years old, the other maybe 4 (can't remember). They're in excellent shape.

But are there any other reasons that they're outmoded in any way?

Thanks.

ADS

lovemybabies924

The rstv has plastic, it has harness webbing that can get weak, the flame retardant coating on the seat cover will age, plus a lot more!! We just have to trust the manufacturers guidelines :)

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd not personally sell one more than 6-8 years old, and I'd probably not use one more than 10-15 years old. :twocents:

Pixels

Safety standards change as we learn more about occupant protection. Test dummies are improved, regulations are changed. Parts get lost. I wouldn't use one older than 10 years and would recommend replacement, regardless of what the manufacturer says. At least one of the major organizations (NHTSA, maybe?) says no more than 10 years for any seat.

Kat_Momof3

I agree... I wouldn't sell one over 8yrs old... wouldn't use one over 10-15yrs old.... and I'd factor things into that... like how much the newer vests were different from mine... what changes had been made... and how did it look in terms of wear and tear.

basically, I think I'd treat it as I would a seatbelt or car... you'd have your car inspected every year and make sure your seatbelts in working order... and you'd replace your car after about that time or take it in for tune ups...

the rstv can't be given tune ups... so obviously it would at some point become unusable (though I could say that's true for some seatbelts... aka... lap-only belts).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Right, the 6-8 and the 10-15 would depend on things like how many times it's been washed, where it's been stored, etc.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC