Had my first Graco Smartseat install...

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
OMG...it was AWFUL! :thumbsdown:

The super short LATCH strap and deep set anchors with very firm foam coming down over them made for a LOT of sweating and (under my breath) swearing. Can't be a two person job, because only one hand can fit in the belt path at a time. Can't move the base away from the vehicle seat back because the LATCH strap is so short. Ugh!

Once it was in it was solid, though. And the recline mechanism on the base is so nice.

But the poor dad was so disappointed to realize this wasn't what he'd envisioned, being able to remove the seat and put it in another base in another vehicle. It was SO heavy and hard to maneuver in and out of his vehicle.

Had to go with what he had, though. He'd thrown away the box, and at the time I was helping him install he was receiving updates from the mom who was at the hospital admitted for an elevated BP, several weeks prior to her due date. :(

ADS

Kat_Momof3

oh no!! can he get an infant seat that is inexpensive with short bottom slots (like the safety 1st comfy carry elite??)... cause I don't think baby will be fitting in the smart seat for awhile.

CTPDMom

I told him. I don't have an infant seat to lend. He did say they bought a different seat for mom's car (yeah, I didn't 't get why) but that it was IN her car and he didn't know what it was (not installed). I told him that when the dust settles after delivery to call me with the name of it. If it will be a better newbie fit I told him I can come right to the hospital to do it.

Bit I want Graco to lengthen that $@$@&$ LATCH strap!

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

PunkyMonkey

Ah that stinks, sounds like a PITA. A few of my friends are DYING to buy this seat and I have been very curious about them. I'll have to relay the info.... I always tell people who ask my opinion now that if they have it at BRU (which they do) even if you don't buy it there TRY IT OUT IN YOUR CAR FIRST!!!!! Now that I know returning car seats is a huge waste of resources I've been trying to encourage people to if at all possible try it out before buying it!

love-pink

Not sure what the local brus policy is for returns but at mine a box isnt needed. :) Just need a receipt or your rewards card.

CTPDMom

love-pink said:
Not sure what the local brus policy is for returns but at mine a box isnt needed. :) Just need a receipt or your rewards card.

I told him that too, that it couldn't hurt to try. I think he was too stressed to think clearly. Poor guy. He just felt like he couldn't go to the hospital until a seat was in.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

SignCuer

lovemybabies924 said:
could u not use the seatbelt? the seatbelt install was a dream for me!

Yeah, seatbelt is easier... personally never understood why they decided to invent LATCH except to make things easier. Seatbelt installs have many pros than LATCH installs.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, seatbelt is super-simple with the lockoff, I don't know that I'd argue with LATCH that long myself, lol.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, seatbelt is easier... personally never understood why they decided to invent LATCH except to make things easier. Seatbelt installs have many pros than LATCH installs.

Well, historically it was supposed to be rigid LATCH, so you just snap the seat in, like this... http://carseatblog.com/2276/carseat-quandry-part-ii/

But they allowed the US market to cheap out (oh how we love our $35 Sceneras :rolleyes:), and instead use a cheap, glorified lap belt with hooks.

Anyway, as for the Smart Seat, I do steer a lot of confused looking new parents away from it, they have to be told it's not a portable infant seat, and it's not too hard to make it look too hard, it's such a terrifying beast to snap onto the base correctly, I struggle and fiddle and it doesn't cooperate... Darn the marketing, though, the sign above it saying 5-100 pounds! gets 'em every time.

Pixels

I don't care what the other seat is, if it rear faces, it will be a better fit for a newborn. The SmartSeat will have the harness too high and off the shoulders and not tight enough. Other seats will only have one or two of those problems.

SignCuer

Well, historically it was supposed to be rigid LATCH, so you just snap the seat in, like this... http://carseatblog.com/2276/carseat-quandry-part-ii/

But they allowed the US market to cheap out (oh how we love our $35 Sceneras :rolleyes:), and instead use a cheap, glorified lap belt with hooks.

Anyway, as for the Smart Seat, I do steer a lot of confused looking new parents away from it, they have to be told it's not a portable infant seat, and it's not too hard to make it look too hard, it's such a terrifying beast to snap onto the base correctly, I struggle and fiddle and it doesn't cooperate... Darn the marketing, though, the sign above it saying 5-100 pounds! gets 'em every time.

Ah wow.... never knew that... Hopefully one day we'll get them here...

I'm one of those people who love her Sceneras!! I have 4 of them.. 2 35lb, 2 40lb RF ones... :D So easy to install, really simple to get 3 acrosses!

PunkyMonkey

Lol that video of the rigid latch made me cringe at my sore fingers and thought of how sweaty I was last night just switching out my rolled up towel with a pool noodle :-/ haha and I also wondered why LATCH was considered "easier"... In my car it involves a whole lot of finagling and hurt fingers. I will say though the button latch connectors on the recaro are MUCH much better than the clip on kind on the scenera and my snug rides.. Those were a whole extra mess of hurt fingers and broken nails!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC