what is this about the CA and rear facing height?

I thought you could rear face till the head was even with the top of the shell, now suddenly theyhave to be under 40 inches? I use a CA because Nolan is almost too tall for all the other rear facing convertibles on the market. This is very very bad news. my poor kid is never going to make it to 4 rear facing at this rate.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are many threads here on this topic. Do a quick search. It's not as simple as yes or no, since the manual says both, and we routinely ignore overall heights as seated height is more important. But search it here, there are many many threads on the topic.

Wendy

I always have ignored the height limits, but there is this sudden talk about it not actually being allowed at all now and they tested it or something, by some very knowledgeable people so I was worried,,, anyways I just got off the phone with dorel who assured me that it is all about torso vs leg length, that if he is 40 inchs and has shell above his head it is fine...so I am going with that.

Keeanh

The sticker on the side shows very clearly the top of the head even with the top of the shell. I'm just going to pretend my child has very short legs ;). Especially since the Canadian version says 36" :thumbsdown:.

SignCuer

If so, then it has to be pretty recent because I spoke with a Dorel rep back in Feb while I still had my CA, and he said it was fine to disregard the 40 inch rule since every child was proportionaely different. So ever since and I still will when I get my new CA later on, disregard it and not bat an eye. However as a CPST, I will of course explain it but tell them and let them decide.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC