1.5" clearance to RF in Radian?

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I noticed over on SKJP's Facebook page that they responded to a poster that a child needs 1.5" of shell above the head to RF in a Radian. Has anyone heard anything about this before?

During a webchat a few months ago, two of the customer service reps mentioned that as well. When I questioned the fact that there is no RF height rule in the manual and that 1.5" was greater than the general 1" rule, one rep told me to check the manual :)rolleyes:). Later, I saw she said 1" to someone else, so I assumed she was originally mistaken and fixed it. The other rep replied to me with something like kids would outgrow it by weight before height (although she said FF when I asked about RF, so who knows what she meant). In the end, I chalked it up to a mistake, particularly since one of the reps posted 1" later to someone else.

Now, I see it's on the Facebook page. Whether there's no seperate height restriction for RF (in the manual, the height restriction is tops of ears over the back of the seat/bigger than 53") or it's 1 inch or 1.5 inches, I'm not particularly concerned in my own case. I don't necessarily mind abiding by a 1.5 inch rule, because I'd be comfortable following the general 1" rule for a Radian, and I don't want to get up in arms about one and a quarter more centimeters or so, you know? But it's not in the manual and I haven't seen it anywhere else other than mentioned on FB and in the webchat a few months ago.

So I was just wondering if anyone else knows anything about it or has seen it elsewhere. (I'd question them on FB, but I don't have a FB account, plus I don't want to detract from the more serious SL strap issues.)

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
Wow! That's a good question. I've never heard that before. If it is indeed true, it needs to be in their manual. I don't trust SK to answer questions accurately anymore, so I'm not sure how we go about finding out what the "real" answer is.

christineka

I looked and you are right! Fortunately, it doesn't matter for my kids because they are super short, but still this is big news.

Stelvis

They told me once too that it was impossible for a child to outgrow a Radian by height before weight. Whatever.

Cryssy Jane

If it is indeed 1.5 then O outgrew it a while ago and I've still been using it. :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

luckyclov

REALLY? Well, it's not in the manual.

In fact, I'm pretty sure even the 1" rule isn't even in my ( 2010 DOM, 80SL) manuals. It just shows a picture stating that it's outgrown RF when the ears are level with the top of the shell (same for FF).

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
That's what's in my manual and in the manual online, as well. That's why I'm baffled by the 1.5" thing. I asked them if they were planning to update their manuals and notify users during the webchat, but that question didn't get a reply. I guess I just got the sense that it was some ill-informed customer service reps participating in the chat, so I let it go at the time. But now that I saw it again on the Facebook page, I decided it was time to ask c-s.org what was going on. :p

luckyclov

Yeah, that's what's in my manual as well.

And, for the record, I don't think I would ever allow my RF child to ride with any less than 1" of shell above their head, even if the manual apparently states that it's OK. But, now, apparently, the general 1" rule isn't even OK. Good grief, Charlie Brown. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I guess I just got the sense that it was some ill-informed customer service reps participating in the chat, so I let it go at the time. But now that I saw it again on the Facebook page, I decided it was time to ask c-s.org what was going on. :p

It wouldn't surprise me if it's the same people running the FB page.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC