True Fit Questions

jenfrogmom

My friend is looking to replace her xtsl. She really does not need a 40 lb. rf seat as her ds is about 24 lbs and will be 2 in Sept. Please tell me all I need to know about True Fits or TFP's. Pics would be great, too! Thanks so much!

ADS

sunnymw

I totally love the truefit!! The tfp has the anti rebound bar, the.others do not.

It has both rf and FF lock offs. The rf one can be a challenge to close at some angles. Lock off is mandatory, not optional.

Covers are amazingly padded and plush. Premium latch. Definitely a solid seat.

Can be installed as upright as 35 degrees. Tons of leg room. Tall harness height that fits older kids really well... I think 17"??

Sent from my HTC Evo using Car-Seat.Org... please excuse typos and autocorrect!!

ChristyH

We love our TF too! We have a regular TF not a premier but I wasn't really concerned with having the rebound bar.
I had my DD in a Radian but we really don't need the 40lb or 45lb limit since my tiny 3 yr old is just 25lbs with a short torso. I love how roomy it is, but it doesn't have a huge amount of leg room. The seat is wide enough though that my DD folds her legs easily and seems to be very comfortable that way.

Here is a picture of Lizzie in her seat.

042.jpg

041.jpg

NannyMom

I :love::love::love: my True Fit Premiere. Sofi's currently using it forward facing, but at 4.5yrs and 34 pounds, she still fits rear facing. It's really easy to install in most cars, a little less easy when at 45* for a newborn. I love how slightly reclined it is when forward facing, we don't get any head slump. The harness adjuster is easier to tighten than the Radian.

Also, the anti rebound bar on the TFP makes it easier to access the harness adjuster when rear facing.

AtownMom

Can anyone compare for me, or point me to a resource that can compare for me, pictorially and verbally, the Radian XTSL, the Marathon 70, and the True Fit Premier for fit and profile once installed?

I currently have a Radian XTSL for DS that I don't feel comfortable using right now. I LOVED that the seat was so roomy-DS's feet didn't even touch the back of my van's seat even if he pointed his toes! And I loved the low profile of the side of the seat when RF; so very easy to get him in and out. He was even starting to climb in and sit down all by himself like a 'big boy' for me before I took it out last week. BUT I took it out because of the issues with SL. I checked mine out and was not comfortable with out easily it loosened with just the flick of my pinky-as soon as DS would have decided for the first time to stick his foot over the edge he could have caught it with his heel and the whole thing would have loosened on me. I also did not like the seat because I cannot get a good install in my '04 Odyssey with the seatbelt RF and only FF in the back bench seat. Not in one of the middle buckets. Only my super great car seat geek friend of mine could and she even said it was a pain to do.

So now I have my MIL's Marathon 70 that I'm borrowing until I can raise funds for a new seat or until the LATCH issue is fixed on the radian (still waiting on the new replacement from the company), whichever comes first. I like the Marathon enough, but I'm not in love with it. The seat is shallow, DS already is bending and propping his legs and he's short. And it sits really high, he can't get up there himself and I feel like I really have to hoist him up. I do prefer the harness adjuster on the M70, however, it's much easier to adjust and then to tuck the tail down where DS can't reach it-it's a fascination of his to play with them. I loved how easy it was to get a good rock solid install on the M70 and I currently have a classic Marathon for DD so I know it'll be a breeze to that a good rock solid install FF as well. Plus, I'm kind of liking the Britax company more and more-kind of like a brand loyalty thing. They've always had stellar CS and now that I'm dealing with SK I can really see a difference.

So now I'm looking into the TFP. It seems like it might be an alternative to look at but without someplace here in town that has one I can go see in person I hate to purchase something and then run the risk of possibly having to send it back because I don't like it.

How does the TFP stack up to the Radian and the M70 as far as fit of ERF toddlers?

What about the profile of it RF? Does is sit high? Low?
Is the seat shallow or deep?

Are the sides of the seat hard for a little one to climb up and over? (My DS is very independent and although I always buckle him, he sometimes likes to crawl up to the seat himself and screams if I do it for him)

And the ARbar. I'm not familiar with them. How do they compare to the RF tethers of the Radian and the M70?

What about the ease of RF install using a seat belt? I've only ever gotten a good install using a seat belt with my Snugride and my classic Marathon (didn't try the M70 but assuming it's just like the classic). The Radian was impossible. What's this one like?

And it would be the greatest thing on earth if anyone has even married the seat with an Odyssey b/c that's the kind of van I have. I hear the Radians are especially picky with the Odysseys and that might be one of my problems. Anyone have experience with a TFP and an Odyssey?

I would love it if I could visually compare them but real-life experience from other moms is just as valuable.
I'm just a little gun-shy about this b/c the only seat I've ever bought not seeing it in person and trying it out in the van was the Radian and that ended in a complete flop. Don't want to make a similar mistake, KWIM?

sunnymw

I have never had all three at the same time but have had a classic Boulevard, a few radians, and a few true fits.

1. The truefit has slightly less leg room than the radian, a bunch more than britax

2. The truefit is slightly harder to install in some vehicles than britax, but miles easier than a radian

3. The truefit sits low on the seat instead of up on a base like a britax, but has very deep sides, which made me feel more secure. My kids had no issues climbing in and out.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Car-Seat.Org... please excuse typos and autocorrect!!

bella_1818

We got a Radian for the vehicle with sloped seats and a TFP for the vehicle with flat seats. Both seats worked great in their assigned vehicles.

If we switched them the TFP needed noodles to get an appropriate angle but took roughly the same amount of room as the Radian.

The Radian in the vehicle with flat seats just wasn't compatible. The front passenger seat had to be moved so far forward that it obstructed the drivers view out the side window.

Here are some Radian pictures with the vehicle with sloped seats http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/bella_1818/Radian XT vs 2004 Toyota Camry/

TrueFit in vehicle with flat seats:
http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/bella_1818/Truefit/

We got rid of the TrueFit after a total loss accident and replaced it with a Frontier since DS had already outgrown the seat RF. Here is the TFP after the accident:
http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/bella_1818/

Maggie

We love our True Fit recline. :D

If it's a local friend, I'd be more than happy to let her check mine out before she buys one. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC