Question Have 2 Radians in a Mazda5 - Need infant seat recommendations for third row - Combi Shuttle 33?

U

Unregistered

Help! We have 2 Radians RF in the second row of our 2010 Mazda5 and our having another baby soon. We were hoping to move the Radians to the 3rd row FF and then have the baby in an infant carrier in the 2nd row. We like the Combi Shuttle 33 because it has the highest height limit we could find and is supposed to be compact. After reading some of the threads on your site, I know understand the Radians won't fit FF in the 3rd row.

What should we do? Keep the Radians in the 2nd row and put an infant carrier in the 3rd? Will the Combi Shuttle fit in the 3rd row? If not, do you have any suggestions for other carriers that would fit? Or should we move the Radians RF to the 3rd row? Would an infant carrier still fit in the 2nd row?

We're also seeking suggestions for a 3rd row seat for the baby after it outgrows the carrier. Will anything work besides the Britax Frontier and the Graco Nautilus?

Thank you!

ADS
U

Unregistered

Our twins will be 16 months old when the new baby is born. So they can still still stay rear facing for a while in the Radians.

mommyfrog

I would not turn 16 month old babies around ff. Try the Radians in the third row. If they work back there, go with that plan. They will likely go over the top of the 2nd row seat a little, but the new baby will be rf too, so it won't interfere with anything.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd be shocked if you could get Radians in the third row.

I'd keep the Radians in the second row, move one side up one click (which is against Mazda's manual for carseat installations), and put a Combi Coccoro in the third row for the baby.

No way would I turn 16 month old babies forward facing. I've had four rear facers in my Mazda 5. I wouldn't sacrifice the safety of the older babies for the younger.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=163445

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I'm fine with keeping the Radians RF in the second row for the twins, but I really would like to use an infant carrier for the new baby for the portability. Any suggestions for which one would fit in the 3rd row? I like the Combi Shuttle because I heard it was pretty compact and has a high height limit. Our twins are really tall so we're assuming the new baby will be too.

If there aren't any carriers that fit I'll look seriously at the Coccoro like you recommended. Any chance we could fit a Boulevard or Marathon back there with the Radians in the second row? I like the higher weight/height limits on those two.

Thank you!

Pixels

I'd be shocked if you could get Radians in the third row.

I'd keep the Radians in the second row, move one side up one click (which is against Mazda's manual for carseat installations), and put a Combi Coccoro in the third row for the baby.

No way would I turn 16 month old babies forward facing. I've had four rear facers in my Mazda 5. I wouldn't sacrifice the safety of the older babies for the younger.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=163445

Wendy

Since Mazda says that moving the seats all the way back is required for safety, moving the second row seats up IS sacrificing the safety of the older babies for the younger.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Since Mazda says that moving the seats all the way back is required for safety, moving the second row seats up IS sacrificing the safety of the older babies for the younger.

Suggestions then please? You cannot fit anything, not a Coccoro, Britax, anything, for a newborn or even older child in the third row without the second row up one click (for Coccoro. More for another seat, a ton up for an infant seat). It's not an option to turn 16 month olds forward facing. So I'd look at moving one second row seat up one click, which is against the ambiguous wording in the manual, rather than turn someone forward facing. And I have. I leave my second row all the way back, except if I need to, then in good conscience in my own car, I move the second row up a click. I've heard other Mazda 5 owners are happy to disregard this all together. Or not count a booster as a carseat (in which case I would have one second row seat that could move as I wish at all times).

Wendy

Chely7425

Suggestions then please? You cannot fit anything, not a Coccoro, Britax, anything, for a newborn or even older child in the third row without the second row up one click (for Coccoro. More for another seat, a ton up for an infant seat). It's not an option to turn 16 month olds forward facing. So I'd look at moving one second row seat up one click, which is against the ambiguous wording in the manual, rather than turn someone forward facing. And I have. I leave my second row all the way back, except if I need to, then in good conscience in my own car, I move the second row up a click. I've heard other Mazda 5 owners are happy to disregard this all together. Or not count a booster as a carseat (in which case I would have one second row seat that could move as I wish at all times).

Wendy

I agree with this... I do not own a Mazda 5 but it was my kids who contributed to the 4 RFers in Wendy's. I have no problem moving the second row up a click or 2 to fit another seat back there. Also, 2 of my kids were the ones riding in the 2nd row moved up... between that or FF them I would move the seats any day.

U

Unregistered

Thanks ladies. I have no problem with putting one of the seats in the second row up a bit to fit the Coccoro in the third row. Looks like that's my only option.

Has anyone ever installed a Britax Marathon or Graco Nautilus in the 3rd FF? I'm thinking of options for once the baby outgrows the Coccoro.

Many thanks again for your replies!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd wait and see how old everyone is then. If you have 2.5 year old twins I'd still want to rear face them somehow, if possible. If the baby is two or 2.5 and the twins are four, I believe the Nautilus works well back there, but I wouldn't buy a Marathon to forward face kids in.

But just hang out and wait. In two years there may not be any Nautiluses and Marathons to buy. :) The carseat world is always changing.

Wendy

Pixels

Wendy

Turning 16 month olds forward facing is an option. It's not what we consider best practice, but it is a valid, legal option. To go against the vehicle manufacturer's clear instructions (nothing ambiguous about it) is both unsafe and illegal if you are in a proper use state.

Does the Radian fit RFing in the third row with the second row head restraint removed?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Nauti is a beautiful fit in the third row. The ProSport and Frontier 85 also fit well with a little more finagling.

The Frontier would not be an option since it has a two year minimum, and her twins will be 16 months old. So if a forward facing seat for the third row was necessary it would have to be a Nautilus or ProSport. But hopefully that'll be a few years from now, and who knows what we'll be recommending then.

Wendy

LuvMyCharlie

The Frontier would not be an option since it has a two year minimum, and her twins will be 16 months old. So if a forward facing seat for the third row was necessary it would have to be a Nautilus or ProSport. But hopefully that'll be a few years from now, and who knows what we'll be recommending then.

Wendy

Correct. However I was just basing that rec. on ' If the baby is two or 2.5 and the twins are four.' So you're right. A Frontier is not an option right now, but it may be for later, and it does fit nicely. I always try to keep what fits in the back of my head 'just in case.' ;)

Chely7425

Turning 16 month olds forward facing is an option. It's not what we consider best practice, but it is a valid, legal option. To go against the vehicle manufacturer's clear instructions (nothing ambiguous about it) is both unsafe and illegal if you are in a proper use state.

Does the Radian fit RFing in the third row with the second row head restraint removed?

No, it doesn't. No RF seats fit back there without the seats moving forward. We had the CCOs really upright (older babies/toddlers were in them) and still had to move the middle row up a few clicks.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus

Where exactly does Mazda say that moving the 2nd row seats all the way back is required for safety? My vehicle manual simply lists it, it does not specify whether it is for safety reasons or for convenience. It doesn't say anything at all about moving the vehicle seat once the carseat is installed.

Pixels

Where exactly does Mazda say that moving the 2nd row seats all the way back is required for safety? My vehicle manual simply lists it, it does not specify whether it is for safety reasons or for convenience. It doesn't say anything at all about moving the vehicle seat once the carseat is installed.

If you contact them, they will tell you that it is required for safety. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=162356

The manual doesn't say anything at all about unbuckling the seatbelt once the carseat is installed, either, but I wouldn't unbuckle it after being told to buckle it and think that is okay. You were told to put the second row seats all the way back for a reason, and not told that it's okay to move it after installation.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC