Has anyone had Auto-Owners Insurance replace crashed seats? Please help.

KristinJ

I had three seats, a Nautilus, and two Roundabouts that were in a rear-end crash (all occupied). I meet the NSTSA requirements to replace all of them.

Aut0-Owners says they are considered personal property, despite being installed in the car and are refusing to pay for replacements. I did a search and found one person on here who said she had Auto-Owners replace...so PM'd her but that post was from 2007 so not sure if she's active here anymore.

They are acting like they've never heard of this before. Even my body shop guy was shocked that they won't pay...he said most all insurance companies he works with pays for replacements.

So, I'd like to try to fight them on it one more time...and wondering if anyone here has successfully had Auto-Owners pay for seats. If so- maybe you can give me your claim # and info so I can take that info to my rep?

shot in the dark, I know...but if anyone can help that would be GREAT!

Oh, we also live in Michigan...a no-fault state. So my insurance is responsible regardless.

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I am in NY which is also a no-fault state. Did the person admit to hitting you? When I got hit, that was all it took to get her insurance company (State Farm) to fully pay for the damage she did to my van. They called me and said, "we have our client fully at-fault by her admission and your damages will be covered in full". I never saw any kind of paperwork or bill.

State Farm did refuse to replace my seats. But they did send me a letter stating that they refused to replace them due to them feeling the accident wasn't severe enough (and I about 90% agree but just had that smidgen of doubt in my mind). I will keep that letter for future issue (hopefully will never need it but still).

Ask for a letter from them stating that they are refusing to replace the seats and that they will take full responsibility for care/costs if your children are injured or killed in a future crash in those compromised seats. That usually gets them to replace the seats as they don't want the liability.

HTH

KristinJ

Yes, she admitted it was her fault and that she was distracted and not watching where she was going. she was ticketed also.

so...should i call her insurance directly? She has Citizens.

cso1997

Michigan is a very strict no fault state. That I know of, there are no situations where the other insurance would pay. I would love to be corrected if that is wrong in Michigan. I have always been VERY annoyed that my insurance has to pay even when the other person is clearly at fault and ticketed. We have had two situations where the other driver was ticketed and admitted responsibility and OUR insurance paid each time. The only thing different about not being at fault is that we don't have to pay a deductible.

Please post if you get an answer about Auto-Owners. We have them and I hadn't ever thought about the seats. That would be really annoying if they didn't cover them.

Vdavis

From a legal stand point they may not have to replace the seats. First pull and read your policy declaration. In there it will state what they are required to cover. Also see in there what they consider personal property. If it specificly states car seats are personal property then you are out of luck. If it doesnt say anything about car seats specifically then you cam claim them as a saftey device and they will be required to cover it. If that is the case also make sure you not only call them also send a letter as the person answering the phone doest always care and this way it is sure to be on file.

Chris

We don't have the same ins or live in Michigan (I have Farm Bureau in SC) but they refused to cover my seats based on the same policy language ie personal property and custom furnishings. Carseats were not specifically included nor excluded. It ticks me off that they are not legally required to replace something that I am legally required to have in my vehicle to transport children. PLUS it is in their best financial interest to have my kids safely restrained.

Sorry to hear that you are getting jerked around. I would try asking for a letter where they accept liability, then call a lawyer if you are serious enough. (I was told State Farm didn't cover seats until they were sued and now they are good about getting them taken care off, at least in SC).

Good Luck!

SavsMom

I am in Florida, also a no-fault state and was rear ended about a month ago. The person who hit me admitted fault and was ticketed. His insurance company looked at my car, the ar seat manual stating the need for replacement, and cut me a check with no questions asked. I would call their insurance company and file a claim.

MommaWhitney

State Farm replaced my seats no questions asked. Actually I ran out and replaced the seats and they paid me exactly what they cost back. But thats my insurance and the lady hit me. Her insurance is Geico and they said they would but might want the crashed seats. They wont be reimbursing me and state farm till the end of my chiropractic care. I doubt they will fight it though... My dad is an injury lawyer and is handling my case plus Im a CPST and my DD who was in her seat had damage(the foam cracked)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC