Outgrowing Marathon what next?

U

Unregistered

My son turned 3 in March. He is tall at 41 inches already. He is currently in a marathon as is his little brother. I have two questions, first, his ears are still about one inch from the top of the seat but his shoulders are only about 1/2 inch from being at/above the top slot. Does he outgrow it when his shoulders are above the top slot or his ears reach the top of the seat? Second, is there another seat out there that has more tourso height that would keep him harnessed longer? I am expecting our third so his Marathon would just go to the baby. I am not sure the marathon will even last him to 4 yrs old and I want to keep him harnessed as long as possible.
Just to add, he is 38#s and we drive a Town and Country.
Thanks!
Kate

ADS

ThreeBeans

He will outgrow the seat when his shoulders reach the top slot. At three and nearly out of the Marathon, really the only choice you have is the Britax Regent.

LuvBug

how much longer do you want to harness him? If you want to harness him as long as possible Id say get a regent.
He should still have another 6m to a year left in the marathon unless he has an all torso growth spurt suddenly.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Read the owners manual for your Marathon. For the new ones, on page 30 it says

IMPORTANT: Once the top slots become
necessary, the child may continue to use
the restraint until the top of the ears
become level with the top of the restraint
shell or child’s weight exceeds 65 pounds
(29.5 kg).

scatterbunny

Gypsy, what is the DOM of the seat that you are talking about? Because Britax said that they meant to remove that from the manuals when questioned about it. Over the phone they insist the seat is outgrown when shoulders go over top slots, period.

I would also go with a Regent. My dd is TALL for her age but didn't outgrow the MA until her 5th birthday, about 46 inches tall. She will fit in a Regent until she's 8.

After age 3ish, torso starts slowing down and legs start catching up.

ThreeBeans

Gypsy, what is the DOM of the seat that you are talking about? Because Britax said that they meant to remove that from the manuals when questioned about it. Over the phone they insist the seat is outgrown when shoulders go over top slots, period.

That's what Britax told me, too.

Bryana'sMomma

My dd is 5.5 years old, 43inches tall 50lbs. She fits in Marathon so your son should still fit. We're using the top slots and I'd say we have another year or so for us. My dd doesn't fit at all with a winter coat on though not enough harness to go around. So she covers up with a blanket in the winter. I'm debating on buying a Britax Regent myself.

scatterbunny

I also heard they would be changing the manual to reflect what they tell folks over the phone: shoulders over top slots=seat outgrown.

On the Britax website the link for the Husky manual is to a version PRIOR to the recall on the lapbelt-only install, it is the version that instructs on an installation method no longer approved, yet when a parent from this board called to point this out, customer service treated her like she had two heads and was speaking a foreign language. So there is an outdated Husky manual on the website instructing a potentially dangerous (recalled) installation. :( I guess I just don't have much faith in Britax's online instructions. I will go with what they say over the phone: no shoulders allowed over top slots, because that coincides with what I've been taught as a CPST: shoulders over slots when FF=spinal compression and is not allowed, except by Sunshine Kids with the Radian.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
My dd is 5.5 years old, 43inches tall 50lbs. She fits in Marathon so your son should still fit. We're using the top slots and I'd say we have another year or so for us. My dd doesn't fit at all with a winter coat on though not enough harness to go around. So she covers up with a blanket in the winter. I'm debating on buying a Britax Regent myself.

Coats shouldn't be worn under a harness anyways, so it's good that you use a blanket!

oxeye

Does anyone else think Britax should send out a letter to all the registered owners of their restraints stating their rule change regarding the top harness slots?

Most parents aren't going to call Britax to verify what is stated pretty clearly in the manual.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
My dd doesn't fit at all with a winter coat on though not enough harness to go around. So she covers up with a blanket in the winter.

Part of the reason she wouldn't fit w/ the coat is because she's not supposed to. It's simply not safe. And you wouldn't be here if you didn't want her to be safe, so the blanket is perfect! :D

To the OP: I would try the Regent.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC