• I would use the 3pt.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • I would use the 5pt.

Votes: 76 95.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CRS

Senior Community Member
If you had the choice between a 3pt harnessed infant seat and a 5pt harness infant seat, what would your choice be and why? Is there any data/research/information to back up claims that 3pt harness infant seats may not be as safe as 5pt harnesses? What are your thoughts?

ADS

ThreeBeans

I would never put a child in a 3 point seat, especially not a newborn.

It's pretty clear that the the margins for side to side movement and thus spinal injury are greater.

CRS

Senior Community Member
I would never put a child in a 3 point seat, especially not a newborn.

It's pretty clear that the the margins for side to side movement and thus spinal injury are greater.

Not that I don't believe you, but do you have any links or data to back your thoughts? (would just like to learn/know a little more about 3 pt. VS 5 pt.). It's of particular interest to me as all European infant seats I have encountered, are 3 pt (we have a lot of them in my country).

chelle80

I will never use a 3pt again and that is because of my personal experiences.

My oldest was not even a year old when he climbed out of a 3pt(and yes he was strapped correctly) going 75MPH down the interstate.

Simplysomething

*looking for articles to back up my entirely unscientific opinion* :whistle: :D

Lol. My thoughts are...the three point just can't be as safe. I had a three point with ds1, his first infant seat. I don't remember if his second was a 3 or a 5. But with ds2, even though his infant seat was a designer 22, it was the 5 pt. Loved how much more...safe he seemed (and was, but really the fact that he seemed so much safer was a big deal).

skaterbabs

I would not use a 3-pt seat if there was an acceptible 5 pt alternative. The 3 point isn't nearly as secure, it's not the least bit unusual for the baby to tuck his feet up and get both on one side of the crotch buckle.

ThreeBeans

Ok, what I'm reading from a basic google search is that five points are safer because they distribute forces across the strongest part of the body equally...the shoulders and hips. In a side impact collision, not having the hips secured will cause the body to swing to the side (or out), which could cause spinal column damage.

Still haven't found reference to a specific study though...

Amaris

Somewhere there was a youtube video (yeah, I know, not scientific) of a little boy "escaping" from a 3 point harness.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The main purpose of seatbelts/harnesses are to keep us inside the vehicle.
They also serve to help prevent us from impacting the vehicle interior.
Further than that, they spread the crash forces out.

3 points means the child will have more crash force on those areas of the body that touch the harness -- a 5 point harness spread the crash forces out more :)

mommycat

The main purpose of seatbelts/harnesses are to keep us inside the vehicle.
They also serve to help prevent us from impacting the vehicle interior.
Further than that, they spread the crash forces out.

3 points means the child will have more crash force on those areas of the body that touch the harness -- a 5 point harness spread the crash forces out more :)

This.

I tried to come up with some info as well but didn't turn up anything in about 15 minutes using Google.

easterbun

Having used both, and even without considering the safety concerns, I'd hands down choose the 5-pt. It's easier to use (the 3pt I used had to go over DS's head!!), and much easier to adjus for a nice snug fit.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The biggest problem I have with a 3-point harness is that some babies can curl up their legs and slip out to the side.

i voted 5 pt as they spread the load more evenly over the infants body, im sure you know that already though and didnt want my 2 cents worth anyway.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
NZ Child Restraints, if you have a problem with another poster, do not respond to his/her posts. If you see something inappropriate, report it to the forum moderators (use the Red Triangle in the upper right hand corner of every post & response). Do not attempt to pick a fight with other posters.

To everyone else, please, let's keep this thread on topic! Thanks!

CRS

Senior Community Member
Thanks everyone for your posts! Like a lot of others, I'm having trouble finding specific info on this "issue" but I'll keep potting on and looking! Always good to know, just for interests sake if anything! And I, like everyone else would choose 5 point over 3 ANY DAY!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC