quick question about a 3-across (kind of)

aeormsby

We are driving from Colorado to Las Vegas and need to bring an extra carseat with to deliver to my sister there. I think the safest way to get the seat there is to strap it in the back seat between my kids 2 seats. Is that a problem at all? The center seat (Myride) isn't installed tight, just strapped in to keep it from becoming a projectile. I moved our 2 MA's as close to the doors as I could and installed with seatbelts (they are also tethered). The Myride is kind of sitting in front of them, overlapping a little.

This shouldn't be a problem right?

Some pics for reference...
100_3135.JPG

100_3138.JPG

100_3136.JPG

It overlaps more on DD's seat than on DS's. At first I didn't like the thought of it next to her head, but it's really the same as an adult sitting next to a seat, right?

The kids are excited to actually have cupholders for the drive too (they'll be sad on the way home when it's not there).

ADS

dneul

I can't tell what your driving exactly (looks like a pickup with a camper shell?). If it is a pickup with a shell, can you stick it in the back can use the latch straps and secure it to the bed itself? I would think that would be a safer option then having a seat taking up space in between a seat. I don't like the way it is sitting on top of the seats. Can you install it rear facing so that it doesn't sit on top of the seats?

Jillybeans5

I would think it would be fine as long as it isn't so loose that it is flopping around, but I'll let a tech chime in for the official word.;)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I was thinking yes, then I thought again. It would move more in a crash, so I am wondering, for a side impact, would it hit a kid? So, I would install in tighter.

aeormsby

Center is a lap belt only, so it's locked. I'll try to get it tighter, it's pretty tight already. It's hard to get a good angle to tighten since I'm doing it after the other seats are tight.

It is a truck with a shell. The back is going to be FULL of stuff since we will be camping for part of the trip. We try our best to keep the level of 'stuff' low enough to still see out the back (we also have a space pod on top of the topper, we seem to take a lot of stuff camping since we've had kids ;)).

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I don't have any other suggestions other than what everyone else already said, but I just want to say have a good trip, it was great meeting you and your sister and your sweet little niece! :) :)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Pull the cover off the cup hold, on the lap belt tail side. Pull the tail through there.

aeormsby

Pull the cover off the cup hold, on the lap belt tail side. Pull the tail through there.

Ah, open belt path for the back? I hadn't even thought of that, although I do it all the time for RF seats.

Emma - It was great to meet you too. I can't wait to get this installed for my DNi, I'll send you some pictures!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC