CA 40" RF rule?

hrice

I searched threads and didn't find one dedicated to this discussion.

I have a CA50 as a back up seat for when Peyton outgrows the TF in my car. When that happens he is likely to be near or at 40" tall. What is everyone's feelings on this. Disregard and follow the 1" rule? Or to the top of the headrest? I know we disregard height limits all the time but Dorel is adament about the 40" thing so what do we do? :confused:

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
There are several threads about this...let me link to mine.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

gsdguenter

Well, I guess you'd have to decide if you are willing to break the law. Essentially you would be if you used it passed the height limit. You wouldn't be following the manufacturer's guidelines. Therefore, you'd be using the seat incorrectly.

DD1 is 39 inches and DD2 34 inches so I don't have to worry about this quite yet. But, it is on my mind too. Kind of frustrating if you ask me!

It really seems like it'd be too easy to have a high rate of misuse with the general public, as I think most people have the 1 inch rule in their minds and won't even know to not use the seat after 40 inches, kwim.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A Dorel engineer told a CPST-I that there was overrotation over 40". I do understand the argument that 40" children are shaped differently, but I would not be comfortable going over 40" after that specific statement.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
carseatcoach said:
A Dorel engineer told a CPST-I that there was overrotation over 40". I do understand the argument that 40" children are shaped differently, but I would not be comfortable going over 40" after that specific statement.

A Dorel rep at Lifesavers also told me that the reason it has to be installed with the line parallel to the ground (vs more upright) for older kids is that the seat overrotated otherwise, too. Which makes no sense to me.

I really have to wonder if both statements are accurate or if they just throw out over-rotation as a way to get us off their backs.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I would think a more upright seat would be less prone to over rotation.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I really have to wonder if both statements are accurate or if they just throw out over-rotation as a way to get us off their backs.

I wouldn't be at all surprised, but it still leaves me feeling very uncomfortable about using the seat past 40".

Ninetales

I just don't know. I've asked them several times and they can't give me a better answer than "most parents don't know/can't figure out the one inch rule so 40" will ensure no one cuts it too close." (paraphrasing)

I just don't see how a 40" kid with long legs who's inches from the top is at more risk of overrotation than a 40" kid with a long torso who's near the top. If anything you'd think it would be the opposite.

My daughter isn't close to 40" yet, and if she follows the same curve, she could be well over three before hitting that, so right now I'm just hoping to avoid it at all.

Evolily

A Dorel rep at Lifesavers also told me that the reason it has to be installed with the line parallel to the ground (vs more upright) for older kids is that the seat overrotated otherwise, too. Which makes no sense to me.

My thought, also.

I understand how torso length can change crash dynamics RFing. I do not understand how leg length would. In fact, What does Dorel advise parents of kids with short legs and normal torsos to do (as happens on some not uncommon growth disorders?). I think it's BS, but I would never advise someone to use it over 40 inches.

sunnyday

Personally, I'm not willing to go past the 40'' limit. Right now DD is about 34" so she has a ways to go. I'm guessing she'll be at least 3y by the time she hits 40", and at that point I feel I'll be comfortable turing her forward.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Personally, I'm willing to use it to the 1 inch rule, which will mean my kids will probably be in the neighborhood of 45-48 inches tall before outgrowing the seat.

mamakc

I hate this part of CPS. When we are so adament to "READ THE MANUAL" and then the company puts this kind of crap in the manual and we don't know the WHY? The Why is so important. If the why is because they felt like they needed to put a height limit for some reason and they just pulled one out of their butts, then yes I'm totally fine with the 1" rule. If the why is because the mass of the childs' body at 40" (regardless of if the mass is in the torso or legs) causes the seat to fail, then of course I'm going to stop RF at 40".

My goal is to RF to 4. If I only make it to 3.5 I'm ok with that as well. DS is 35" right now at almost 2.5 so I think we'll be ok. I looked at a growth chart for boys & based on his percentiles he should be 40lbs & 40inches right around 4 years old lol. I guess we'll see...

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'm still undecided. I don't think DD is unsafe RFing at 40 inches, but I'm nit sure how far I am willing to push it. I'm frustrated with the seat--it's perfect except thus caveat (well and the angle thing :rolleyes:).

armywife12

I don't mind ignoring the height max. Caleb hit 40 lbs at 40-41 inches anyways so it didn't really matter. I've heard a few say they were told by safety first that they can disregard the limits so I'm not really sure who to believe on the matter.

Pixels

I know that the seat is safe below 40 inches. I don't know what will happen after 40 inches. I don't care to find out, personally. Not with my child. I'll find a different seat, or turn forward facing.

I have been trying to figure this out too, I guess we are not going to make it to age 4 rear facing after all.. I am very disappointed and trying to just come to terms with this too. he will more than likely be 3.5 when he turns now if he keeps up this growth pattern

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC