Question RF Infant Seat safe in front seat of crew cab?

S

SafeForOurBaby

We have a GMC R3500 Crew Cab with full bench seats front and back and no airbags. Is there ANY difference in safety between putting our 4-month-old in her Graco SafeSeat in the middle of the front seat, versus having her in the middle of the back seat? We are first-time parents, and we honestly aren't sure. Please help us if you can! Thank you!

ADS
S

SafeForOurBaby

Thank you all for your help! Our girl is now nestled safely in the BACK seat of our truck! :)

tentoes

Regardless of airbags, kids are safer in the back seat as long as you can get a good install.

I don't mean this to be rude, just curious: but what about Sweden and their front-seat car seats? Is it only Swedish cars that are designed for kids in the front? I think it was Håkan (carseat.se) that said car manufacturers know there will *always* be at least one person in the front seat (driver), and that there's a large crumple-zone built into the front.

Pixels

Every study ever done has shown that kids are significantly safer in the back seat. All kids should remain in the back seat until they are old enough to drive, according to crash statistics.

Sweden is not North America. They have different vehicles, primarily a much newer fleet of vehicles. Their vehicles have different safety standards than ours do.

Yes, there is a crumple zone in front. But it isn't always enough. When there is intrusion, it is most likely to happen in the front. The farther you are from the point of impact, the better off you are. Front vs back doesn't matter for side impacts, so really we're only looking at frontal vs rear impacts. Frontal impacts are both much more common and much more severe than rear impacts.

I've driven with my DD in the "front" seat of a moving truck (no back seat, obviously). There was no airbag to worry about. She was riding in a Radian, one of the lowest profile seats available. She still significantly interfered with my view out the side window and to the side view mirror on that side, and I moved her out of that truck ASAP. So that's another consideration when you're talking about a child in a car seat in front, especially a rear facing seat. The seat likely blocks the driver's view, or interferes with the driver's ability to comfortably reach the controls, or both.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC