Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

No tether possible in bolted floor location for Britax marathon...help?

We just picked up our new car this evening and went to install our Britax marathon rear-facing. Unfortunately, we quickly discovered that there is no chance to tether to anything bolted to the floor. The front seats are on sliders that are impossible to get underneath, so there's no chance to use the tether connector either. The seats have top-tether anchor points on the back, but from my understanding those are only for use forward-facing.

The only spot we've identified as a potential tether point for RFing is a metal crossbar underneath the seat itself (it's part of the seat though...not bolted to the floor and so slides with the seat when it gets moved - the 2nd row seating is also movable.

Here're the details - unfortunately my car isn't available in the US, so I doubt anyone will be able to give me specific instructions for the car itself...

Car: Seat Alhambra 2011
    Carseat: Britax Marathon or Britax Two-Way (we have both but have the problem that we can't ensure the Two-Way rests against the seat back of the front seat, and it also requires tethering...)

Thanks for any help!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

Re: No tether possible in bolted floor location for Britax marathon...help?

Can you post a picture of your front seat rails?

Also - you might PM AdventureDad about the Two-Way. I believe it has a different sort of RF tether setup/installation - he may be able to give more feedback.

In the meantime, RF tethering is NOT mandatory for the Marathon. It helps, but using the seat untethered will not put your child in harm's way.

You can tether the two way through the seat bite of the seat in front of it. There's a YouTube video. Let me see if i can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Crystal: CPST, DCP and BFF to:
    Hania: 3 months, rf in a nuna pipa
    Piper: 2 years, 26lbs rf in a monkey clek fllo
    Isabella: 4.5 years, 32lbs rf in a clek foonf
    Rocking out in a 2015 Subaru WRX and a 2006 Toyota Sienna

Good plan. I'll take pictures of the rails and the under-seat bar tomorrow.

Cryssy, what's a seat bite?

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

The warning about using a non-movable part is to make sure you don't connect to something that MAKES the seat move. Moving the vehicle seat forward or back can affect the tether even if you attach to a stationary rail.

The cross bar of the front seat is fine as long as it if the actual seat structure (big metal tubular bar) and not the upholstery rail (flat metal with fabric attached).

You can also wrap the adapter around a seat belt anchor, or the hinge of the front seat if the hinge is a part of the leg structure of the seat (as opposed to the spring frame like in older Dodge vans)
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

The seat bight is the more technical term/carseat jargon for the crease in the vehicle seat where the vehicle seatback and the vehicle seat cushion meet.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar