At what point would you import?

andre149

I'm just curious about people's opinions :) At what point (age wise) would you import a seat to rf if your child maxed out US options (assuming no SN)? Personally, my cut off is 3 years. I would consider it for a 3yo, but definitely before 3 I would import.

ADS

hrice

I had a MT and sold it. :eek:

Colton is almost 3 (next month) and 30#. He has about 4 inches above his head in the XTSL. If he was to outgrow that seat before 4 (not going to happen) then I would import again.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
As I've posted before, I do not support importing seats. I'd do it if my kid hit 45# before age 2. If she was under 45#, I'd make a Radian work (probably with a seatbelt install). I would not import just because I liked other seats better.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
Personally- I refuse to turn my DD until she is at least 4 but I prefer to RF to 5. I was fine with my RF XTSL's but after I was rear-ended and one needed replacing I decided to just get a MT. I am not giving SKJP any more of my money at the moment and DD has outgrown everything else RF availble here in the US. So that was my limit, not having a trustworthy seat/company that would fit my child RF to at LEAST 4yo.

Pixels

Here are my personal limits:
Age four, the child gets to choose RF/FF.
Age three, I will not purchase another seat if my child outgrows what I currently own, but otherwise they are RF.
Age two, I will not import.
Under age two, I'd have to discuss with DH of course, but I would do anything I could to make it happen if possible.

KaiLing

I'm copying what I've said before, not because I think this forum is all about ME! but because I think we're an interesting border case:

I have a new Swedish seat. I bought it for two reasons:
1. my kid is the odd child that won't get to age 3 RF in a US seat. Right now, at 2y5m he only fits by height in the Radian (I have an XT) or possibly the complete air, which he's never been in. I can confirm that he outgrew the MyRide, the US Britaxes and the Scenera between his birthday and now. I expect him to hit 40 lbs before his 3rd birthday. My only option for increasing his time in a RF seat would be to buy a newer Radian for the 45 lbs limit. BUT
2. the Radian fits horribly in our small car (Mazda 3) and the idea of buying another $250 seat *exactly* the same size as the one we already have that eliminates the front seat (and potentially can't be used with LATCH) is ridiculous to me. So we used the tax refund on an expensive, technically illegal imported seat. It fits so much better in the car (European cars are pretty small, generally) and he'll get to use it RF until after his 5th birthday if he continues to follow the WHO growth curve.

I know we're not the average family, and the thought of a $500-600 car seat gives me heart palpatations (what if I'm in a fender bender when he's not even in the seat?! What if I drop it while installing it?!), even now that I've already bought it, but for me that's why the MT is better: fit of kid and fit of car.

luckyclov

If I didn't have an American option to RF my typical, "healthy" child to 3-3 1/2 years old and 35 lbs, then I'd import without hesitation.

As much as I want a MT, I have options here which will fullfil my personal RF goals and, likely, beyond.

Cryssy Jane

It's important to remember that ALL of KQ's children survived the crash, even the forward-facing ones.

I would likely not import a seat.

yes of course. I didn't have to import the TWE though, it was already state side (not that that makes it any different).

Mom2three

I don't really have a reason to import. I really like to try new seats and have quite a few, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to drop that kind of $ on a seat. My DD is FF now at 4yrs, but could RF for another 2 years maybe in the XTSL. My DS will be 2 in a month and I highly doubt he will outgrow our options in the US before he turns 4. If he does, I might consider importing. My goal is RF to 4 years.

gsdguenter

Probably not a very popular opinion, but it is just that, my opinion. Anyone and everyone is welcome to politely disagree :)

I would import, and did. I bought an MT from someone here. Heck, if I had a lot of $ I'd have three MTs, just because I want them.

I consider myself a citizen of the world, not the U.S. and I will do what is best for my family. Sure, U.S. seats fit my children, but if I want a foreign seat *I* think it is my prerogative to get one. My point it, there are regulations/laws set in place to keep people safe and orderly, but I refuse to follow laws blindly; just because. Yes, I realize this is not a popular opinion. Oh well, it is mine ;)

So, in short. When would I import? Whenever I wanted to.

Imagine if we lived in a world without boarders . . .

Okay, time to get off my soapbox lol

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I used to say 2.

Then I lost my baby. It wasn't car seat related but, well, it made me a lot more protective. I have giant children. It's now under 4 (under normal circumstances.)

But after our crash my oldest two are begging to RF again. Well. I want them to feel safe in the car. Right now it's screaming nearly every time we drive. E was previously grumping that she couldn't RF still, but now she REALLY REALLY panics. In our case, I kind of consider that a "special need" even though it's emotional, not physical. I do think that any properly used and installed seat is very safe, and that any child over 2 is still very safe in a properly used FF seat. BUT I think RF to 4 is safER.

I don't think it's necessary for most kids to use imported seats. Most kids can make it to 4 in what we have here. But there are exceptions and until the market is such that almost every child can RF to 4 or beyond, well, while I won't, as a tech, recommend anyone else do the same, I will make my own choices for my own family based on what I feel we need to do to keep our kids safe.

LuvMyCharlie

We just got our MT and DS turns four in a month. Why did I import? Because he wanted to ride RF again and I could barely cram him into a Radian height-wise. Would a Radian have been fine? Sure, except I hate the stupid seat and that's BEFORE all this SL crap started happening. How do I justify it? I have another child that I can pass the seat down to after he's done with it. So I guess my answer is...there is no limit for us.

Ninetales

Well, cost alone would be a huge factor for me. Unless something major were to happen to us financially, I would only consider importing until age three, provided I exhausted all other options.

Chely7425

Importing would be a huge strain on us financially, we would only import if one of our children outgrew US seats before 3.

AnnieW625

Right now I have a personal goal to rear face DD2 until she is 3 yrs. old. I also feel very safe with the options that we have here in the USA. If for some reason I want her to rear face in our cars past 3 then I'd most likely look at a Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC