Britax Frontier 85... amazed: DS fits at 8 1/2

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
DS recently had a growth spurt and shot up a tad over the top slots of the Regent. While looking online at boosters, I got the idea to try him in DD's Frontier 85. I really didn't think it would make a difference. But - he fits with about 3/4 of an inch left! And he really likes it. Woo hoo!

So now we're doing the ol' carseat switcheroo in my Sienna. :love:

(FYI, he's a pretty tall kid for his age, too - tall and skinny. I guess it all comes down to that torso, huh?)

ADS

bella_1818

If you get a chance and don't mind, would you post a picture? My DS (almost 4) is getting close to needing to turn FF in his Radian, and I'm trying to decide if I should keep the Radian or get an additional Frontier 85 (he has one in DH's car). Does the frontier fit a big kid better than the radian?

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
If you get a chance and don't mind, would you post a picture? My DS (almost 4) is getting close to needing to turn FF in his Radian, and I'm trying to decide if I should keep the Radian or get an additional Frontier 85 (he has one in DH's car). Does the frontier fit a big kid better than the radian?

Sure, I'll get a picture. He outgrew the Radian about 2 years ago, I think. The Frontier 85 definitely has higher harness slots.

finn

Wow ds is 4 & only has one set of slots left! I'm really hoping he'll make it to 5, then I'll be ok with him going into a booster full time.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

ginny4

i could use to see a pic. my DD i think actually needs to be reharnessed & doesn't fit the regent. how long do you think it would take a 7yo to grow that 3/4inch?

Jessica61624

This is my 8 yr old brother....hes short Idk how tall he is.
IMAG0421.jpg

IMAG0422.jpg

christineka

Yeah, my 11 yo has outgrown the regent, but has a few inches left in the frontier85. Not that she needs a harnessed seat, though. She loved the regent and wanted to ride in it all the time.

luckyclov

At 8 1/2 years old and 50.25", my DS1 has *just* outgrown the FR85. He's been boostered fulltime for awhile, but just for "fun" I tried him in DD's FR85. I don't have a torso measurement, but it's longer than average.

8 1/2 years old, 50.25", 66-67 lbs in a FR85 installed in a captain's chair of an '11 Sienna. He's on the last harness slot.
P4200084.jpg

Here's a close-up of the last harness slot. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him riding harnessed.
P4200083.jpg

hunypooh77

last summer when dd got her frontier 85 ds sat in it (9 yo) and he still fit harnessed...not by much though, I was impressed

Kat_Momof3

not only is that awesome, but that's what I would have suggested anyway, because the frontier makes a fantastic booster (and if you want, it can be used with a slideguard clip)... AND it is THE TALLEST booster!

and for the one who has a child who may not make it to age 5-6... I just have to tell ya... Damian outgrew the Regent at 6.5... thank god that tall boy is leggy (doctor estimates his percentile for height at 150%)

remken

I need to try ds almost 8.5 in a frontier 85 again. When I tried him a couple of months ago it seemed like he actually had more room in his regent than the frontier. Just over the next to top slots in the regent and only about an inch in the frontier for grow room.

finn

Doh I just realized we have the old frontier not the 85 lol :)

if I had buckets of money would import an 85 for him but I don't so hopefully he'll make it to 5 in the old frontier then he can go into a booster full-time.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC