a new seat destructive discovery

laudymama

So riding in the car this afternoon I hear a strange creaking sound coming from the backseat. When I could safely look back, I saw DS reaching above his head, grabbing the headwings of his Advocate with each tiny little hand and pulling at it forward and backward over and over again!! Of course once he discovered he could do this he would not stop. He was REALLY tugging at them. When we got home I inspected the seat and it looks fine, but I can't imagine he could continue to do this without eventually breaking or stressing something. I wiggled it slightly myself just to see how much it would give and he was definitely yanking on it very hard to get it to the point it made the creaking noises. Put this on top of me finally teaching him to climb into his own seat -he is getting WAY to heavy to lift over w/ my semi-bad back- only to discover he grabs the headwing to steady himself to get in, and I am terrified he is going to destroy our pricey seat!!! Anyone have either of these things happen? Any ideas??:confused:

ADS

HayleyCPST

This may seem obvious, but did you tell him "no, that's not ok. You are being destructive. We need to be gentle with this because it keeps you safe." something along those lines.
How old is he anyways?

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
That's what I hated about the old style head wings! That's the first thing kids grab to get them selves in the seat.

I don't know how to solve your problem other than to teach him where to grab, and making sure he knows rocking them like that is a no-no...

Sent from my EVO using Car-Seat.Org

bnsnyde

OMG! You described it perfectly. We have this seat. My son is 22 months and I cannot lift him in because I have a bad shoulder. He grabs those headwings. I can't stand how flimsy they are. What I do is, when he's going in and grabbing them, hold them steady trying to prevent damage. It's not ideal. Oh, and he's usually screaming and kicking, going in crooked, while I'm trying to pull the harness around him, while his feet are bracing the seat. It's awful!!!
The seat is so deep it makes it worse, plus no legroom.

When he sits in it nicely like a good little boy, I am so happy to see him safely tucked into his seat. Can I keep this up day after day? I guess I will b/c I spent $$$$ on this seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC