moms on tv

amberose

How come there aren't any mothers on tv who actually use car seats correctly?? Every time i see a child on tv the car seat is being used improperly. For example, on The Real Housewives of Orange County, one of the women has a 10 month old and a 2 year old....and BOTH are FF!!!! :eek: It shocked me!! Also, on the shows 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom, none of the mothers know how to use a car seat. To me it is a bad influence because people usually do the things that they see on tv. Maybe it is just me, but is anyone else bothered by this?!!! :(

ADS

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
I can't stand it! If only people on tv did it correctly so America could see... I always thought John and Kate were pretty good other than early FF.

Sent from my EVO using Car-Seat.Org

sunnyday

I noticed early FF on Secret Life of the American Teenager too. Well, I guess the kid was technically 1, but still. (And yes, I watch that show! :p)

Ninetales

With such a high misuse rate it's not surprising, unfortunately, to see people on reality shows misusing seats. As far as not following best practice, I suppose for unscripted shows that falls under the rule that the crew doesn't interfere, assuming they even know. For scripted shows my guess is plain ignorance.

likes2shopalot

CPS Technician
I know. It bugged me last year watching Quints by Surprise and sure enough the first show this season shows the car door open and the seats are FF for those little babies but using the RF belt path.

lovemybabybug

Once on teen mom, Leah had a fight with corey, so she storming out, she throws the infant bucket in the back seat and drive away. I don't think there was a base. As she is driving, the camera is at her face and you can see the seat behind her rocking side to side. It drives me nuts when I see stuff like that on TV.

KaiLing

The scripted shows' misuse drives me crazy (I'm lookin' at YOU, Modern Family!). Wasn't there a big push to demonstrate proper seat belt use in sitcoms 15-20 years ago? Aren't child restraints the same thing?

lpperry

Sometimes I think they take the liberty to ff an infant just because the camera can see the baby and the drivers. I hate it though. I don't think I've seen one show where a child was properly restrained.

I do like the Geico commercial (I think) where the pig is riding in the car and he is in a booster!

Dorothy

A little off-topic, but I was so disappointed watching Idol the other night. The girl from Georgia was not wearing her seatbelt as they were zipping down the interstate. I realize they were probably in a limo where most people probably don't buckle up, but I thought it was irresponsible. And, to touch on another point a pp made, why does it matter if you can see the baby in the car shots in tv shows? So many times they use dolls or props to reference a baby in a scene instead of having the actual baby. Why can't they just do that in the cars, too? Such a simple way to be responsible and promote better practices in a way that would probably be most palatable to the general public.

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I always notice it too. Dh gets annoyed when i point it out :)

This!

DH always rolls his eyes when that commercial with the hockey playing triplets comes on because I always cringe and say something about how those boys should be in boosters and how DS will never be allowed to wear hockey gear in the car. The car seat usage in television, movies and commercials is atrocious.

Cryssy Jane

This!

DH always rolls his eyes when that commercial with the hockey playing triplets comes on because I always cringe and say something about how those boys should be in boosters and how DS will never be allowed to wear hockey gear in the car. The car seat usage in television, movies and commercials is atrocious.

Pops turns the channel when that comes on because he knows I'm going to complain about it.

hunypooh77

I notice it too, so irritating!! Does anyone watch House? This weeks episode has a 3 year old riding in the front seat in a seatbelt!!

baybedawl03

During 16 & pregnant and teenmom (when it was on) my sister and i are always texting back and forth about the carseats...and wait to see what the new babies are going to ride in.

bnsnyde

In the cartoon Caillou (he's 4), he rides FF in a backless booster. And his mom doesn't seem to buckle him or check him. And it looked like he rode in the FRONT seat of a pick-up truck with NO carseat with grandpa to the farm. His baby sister rides FF in a carseat. And one of the kids (forgot) has a funky shield thing I've never seen in the USA since my brother was a tot in the 80's. I think Cailou is supposed to be in Canada. Not sure.

And in my parenting magazine (one of the many) this month, there is an ad with a picture of 3 tiny kids in the back seat, NONE in boosters or carseats, just seatbelts. These kids are maybe 4 to 6. It's a total joke. The belts don't fit them right at all.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Ugh the MTV shows are the WORST. There was a follow up episode to one of the 16 & Pregnant couples last year where they got pregnant again and decided to have an abortion. They had their daughter... around 12 months I think... forward facing in a Evenflo Chase style FF seat with the seat belt run OVER the seat like a baseless infant seat install, it was terrifying.

There's a Chevy commercial that really upsets me too with a couple kids in the backseat that are probably 7 or 8 that clearly need boosters still in just seat belts. :/ At least Toyota and Graco make a point to have properly restrained kids in the Toyota commercials - I've never seen a RF kid though!

babyherder

I wish shows that use real people (as supposed to cartoons) would show proper use. Best practice would be awesome but proper use would be really really really good.

leighi123

I notice it too, so irritating!! Does anyone watch House? This weeks episode has a 3 year old riding in the front seat in a seatbelt!!

That really annoyed me, especially sense she was talking about him letting her watch a pirate TV show saying "who would do that?" A 3yr old in the front seat, no carseat, shoulder belt behind her is FAR worse than pirates on tv. sheesh.

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
There's a McDonald's commercial with a bunch of 3-4 year olds in a van in seat belts only.

Has anyone seen the movie Life as we know it? Little baby FF on her 1st birthday. throughout the hole movie the mis use broke my heart! Loose straps reclined for RF, just awful.

On a happy note, I was watching tv the other night and a car seat safety commercial came on talking about choosing proper seats for your child and how to install with less than one inch of movement. I was in shock!! They used a cartoon kid and he was FF but he was deffinitely older than 2.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC