Sunshine Kids has released a statement

ADS

Stelvis

If they knew about it in February, why did they tell me they never heard of it two months later? And why are they not sending out these new belts as replacements? People are getting replacements from '09 and '10. And, if they are still sticking by the story that they can't replicate the problem, then how do they know the belt will fix the problem? Things just aren't adding up for me.

AtownMom

I'm glad they plan to do something. I was going to try selling mine because I couldn't get a good install with the seatbelt in my '04 Odyssey. Maybe I will hold off and see if they send me a new latch and maybe it will be enough to be able to keep my seat?

Kat_Momof3

I agree with you, STELVIS, but at least it's not taking 10yrs like the big AO/AOE recall that happened last year after 10yrs in the courts... (I know, I'm being an optimist here)

Stelvis

Well, thank goodness for social media, or I bet this would drag on for 10 years....SKJP's problem is they've been acting like they can get away with this stuff in the age of instant communication, and it's just making people madder.

daycaremom2002

So, they have had a new, improved super latch since February, yet every call they received they either sent an old strap, or denied the problem. If the original strap wasn't a problem, why the new strap? If the new one is better, why not send that one out. If the new strap fixes the (nonexistent) problem, then recall the defective strap. The seats do not need recall, that we know of, so the cost should be fairly minimal.

I really don't understand this method of burying their heads in the sand. I didn't read that statement as saying that they were really going to do anything. IF you notice a problem, THEN you can call Susan and she will get you a new SL. So, has she been sending out the new strap this week to all of the concerned customers? I believe I saw at least 1 or 2 accounts that said they had received straps from 09.

I don't even own a radian. I don't have latch in my van. I am severely disappointed at the way Sunshine Kids has handled this whole thing.

Sent from my iPad

bnsnyde

I want the XTSL seat! But I have about 14 months before I need it. I am waiting for an improvement. :)

We have two older XT's that are perfect.
And seatbelt install is not an option for me for the new seat. It seems the middle seat of my 2011 Odyssey isn't a great candidate for seatbelt install of carseats. So Superlatch is my only hope, and the low profile of the Radian means the child can climb in/out. Anyways, the child will be over 40 lbs during the seat life.

Can't wait until something new comes out, if it does.

Stelvis

My replacements were from 10/09. But what if you don't notice a problem? Mine was in for a year before he kicked it down. What if I was in an accident between when he kicked it and I noticed it? And they still are not taking seats back if their strap doesn't fix the problem, and they still are asking people for proof of purchase before sending replacements in some cases....they have a long way to go in my book. They need to make ALL owners aware of this potential issue.

lanwenyi

I'm not impressed. I want a recall or advisory or something.

I can do a seatbelt install and am doing it, but others can't get a good one. I'm mortified by the time my child rode in that seat when it was loose and I had NO idea.

I'm terrified for the parents out there who KNOW they had a tight install, but have NO idea that it has loosened since then. Honestly, who tugs at the belt path EVERY time they put their kid in to make sure the LATCH strap is still tight?

Anyone know if they're still requiring proof of purchase? I registered both of my carseats, but I don't still have the receipts. I'll call for the new belts (if I can get to a phone before 5pm), but only if they aren't going to refuse to help me b/c I don't have the receipts anymore.

Also, what abt warranty? One of my seats is over a year old. Are they still going to give me problems about that?

Stelvis

Let us know what they say when you call them. It seems like sometimes they're asking for proof of purchase, other times not. I know they were able to figure out mine was out of warranty without my giving them POP, because that's when they basically told me that it was my problem, not theirs, and I was SOL. Although they had sent me two non-functioning SL belts by that point, as well as a condescending note from Russ telling me to just go ahead and install it tight this time...

cheerbop

OK, glad i read this as I was on the verge of ordering an XTSL from diapers.com

Would you suggest we wait to do that?

jasminegrl

well i hope that my super-latch isn't an issue when I move because my seat will certainly be out of warranty by then... its almost out of warranty now but there is no latch in Japanese vehicles so I've never even attempted to use it.

dawnp15

Do you think those video's they made were using the new latch straps? I think i remember in at least the second video the guy says "this is a brand new XTSL" That just kinda makes me wonder!

Cryssy Jane

Alright. Called this morning and talked to Susan directly. They're sending out a new latch strap, post feb, 2011, (and a longer crotch buckle) for free. I live super close (40 ish minute drive) so it usually takes 2-3 days to get something from them. She did not ask for pop, just the serial number on the seat. I was however awkwardly nice about the whole thing. She said that she appreciated that I could talk like an adult about the situation and even though my seat is out of warranty to call her directly if I have any further issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

hrice

Alright. Called this morning and talked to Susan directly. They're sending out a new latch strap, post feb, 2011, (and a longer crotch buckle) for free. I live super close (40 ish minute drive) so it usually takes 2-3 days to get something from them. She did not ask for pop, just the serial number on the seat. I was however awkwardly nice about the whole thing. She said that she appreciated that I could talk like an adult about the situation and even though my seat is out of warranty to call her directly if I have any further issues.

Why the longer crotch buckle? Just wondering. I need a replacement so that would be convenient.

Cryssy Jane

hrice said:
Why the longer crotch buckle? Just wondering. I need a replacement so that would be convenient.

O man is complaining his boy parts are squished because the buckle part hits right on his junk. So he complains the whole ride that his boy parts hurt.

hrice

O man is complaining his boy parts are squished because the buckle part hits right on his junk. So he complains the whole ride that his boy parts hurt.

Colton does the same thing. I guess I will ask too. He says "my pee pee hurts!" so I tug the buckle away a couple of times and he usually settle but after a while in the car he complains again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC