FF in middle of back seat or infant seat in middle?

U

Unregistered

My 2.5 year old son is FF on the passenger side as of now (and our 9 year old sits behind the driver). Baby #3 is due is July and I'm wondering if putter the Graco (I think it's a Graco My Ride?) convertible seat FF in the middle of my Pruis, baby #3's infant seat on the passenger side, and my 9 year old (when we have her) behind the driver would work? I've never heard of carseats in the middle seat before. Would it be best to have the infant seat in the middle with the 'older' kids on the outsides?

ADS

CarSeatSafetyMom

CPST Instructor
First car seats can be installed in any of the three back seat seating positions.

I believe you are asking what would be the BEST seat configuration for your 3 children in the back of your Prius.
You could put 9 yr. old behind Driver, 2.5 yr. old in My Ride in middle, and put infant seat behind passenger seat.
OR
You could put 9 yr. old behind Driver, infant seat in middle, and 2.5 yr. old in My Ride behind passenger seat.​

If you are used to using LATCH in the Outboard (next to doors) seating position, you most likely DON'T have LATCH in the Center position. You will just install the Car Seats with the seatbelt in the middle. Double check your Prius's Owner's Manual to be sure.

Also, Depending on the infant seat you have, they may or may not fit side by side. You may have to play with your configurations to find the one that works best! Good Luck.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, there's no LATCH in the center of a Toyota Prius.

The ideal (ignoring real life for a minute) would be the nine year old in a booster, the 2.5 year old in the middle forward facing (actually, the ideal would be a 2.5 year old rear facing), and the baby outboard. The baby is safer than the 2.5 year old because they'll be rear facing. The nine year old is likely safer because they have an ossified skeleton.

However, how they all fit is another question. If you can't get them to fit that way, whatever works best. It may be booster, convertible, infant seat or booster, infant seat, convertible.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC