News 5 point harness helped save child in school bus rollover

Brianna

"The Sheriff's Department credits the use of seat belts by all of the parties involved for the minor nature of the injuries.

A representative from Carrier Coach tells us the bus driver yelled in advance before the bus flipped and the monitor apparently shielded the child to protect him. The child was also securely strapped into a booster harness."

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/12...ent-in-Clarence-Quick-Action-Prevents-Tragedy

I'm so glad everybody was OK, and this makes me wish all buses had 5 point harnesses!

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Good report overall, but I have to say I sincerely doubt the adult "shielding" the child had any part in preventing injuries.

sunnyday

I don't have sound on my comp right now so I couldn't listen to the video. Was the reason that particular bus had 5 point harnesses because it was a "short bus"?

Brianna

I think the bus may have been only for special needs children. In the article I think it mentioned that the child was disabled. I know not all of our buses have harnesses though.

Brianna

Good report overall, but I have to say I sincerely doubt the adult "shielding" the child had any part in preventing injuries.

I'm now wondering how the adult shielded the child if she in the seat behind the child, also in a seat belt.

Kat_Momof3

usually on a "short bus" there is a driver and there is an aide... sometimes more than one aide, depending on the needs of the kids in question.

so glad they all came out safe

Kat_Momof3

usually on a "short bus" there is a driver and there is an aide... sometimes more than one aide, depending on the needs of the kids in question.

so glad they all came out safe

Keeanh

That's great that the child was in a harness. I'm wondering, though, how the other adult was restrained, how they would have "shielded" the child, and from what??

bnsnyde

My daughter, 3, will go on the bus to preschool. (special ed. for speech).They said she'd get a seatbelt. I asked about a harness. They said those are for the autistic kids or those who might unbuckle. But I was welcome to have her in a harness if I wanted to. I said yes! I am so happy she'll get to have a 5 pt. harness.

But, I don't think the kindergarten kids get even a belt. And my son will be in that situation. They have some sort of restraint for special needs but that's all.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Add me to the "the adult shielding the child probably contributed to the child's 'minor injuries'" camp. Unless the child had medical equipment that was not carefully secured and the "shielding" was to prevent injury from, say, an oxygen tank.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC