Question Is it Possible to Overdo it? :)

Kanuni

The seat has to be firm, and the belt needs to be "as tight as possible" in US and Swedish seats, right? When I am installing it I am really using my strength and I am a power lifter, so I know that I am not only stronger than moms here :) , but probably than most of their husbands. :p I am not saying this to brag or anything, I am just wondering if it is possible to overdo it, by maybe streching the harness or the tether straps, or is human strength simply not enough to make any damage to them even if you had Ronnie Coleman install your carseats for you?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Some engineers say yes, others say no. The seat was designed to take crash forces, which are unlikely for even you to be able to recreate.

However, it doesn't need to be that tight. You need less than 1" of movement at the belt path, the tether needs to have the slack removed (if you're talking rear facing you can actually damage the seat by having the tether too tight), and the harness needs to be tight enough so you can't pinch anything. That's it. No need to go beyond.

I love when someone tells me (usually a small mother) that it took two 300 pound firemen to get their seat in, and I go and replicate it (I'm a size six) with ease. It's not about size and strength with carseats, normally, it's about technique. Usually when I've had someone absolutely wrenching a carseat in, the biggest issue is we can't remove it from a car anymore.

Wendy

Cryssy Jane

Usually when I've had someone absolutely wrenching a carseat in, the biggest issue is we can't remove it from a car anymore.

Sorry had to laugh at this one, as this was my first experience as a tech. This gentleman had the seat in so tight that it took 4 people to be able to wrangle it loose.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I actually cracked the base on my Britax Marathon by installing it too tight before I became a tech. If less than 1" of movement is good then NO movement must be better RIGHT??? Not so much. Thankfully Britax replaced the seat for me, or it could have been a $200+ mistake!

Less than 1" of movement side to side, and front to back is acceptable. You test this by giving the seat a "firm" (but not bone crushing) ;) handshake AT THE BELT PATH with your non-dominant hand. You may get movement at the head of a Rear-facing seat and that is OK, you only check at the belt path :D

jjordan

When they test the seats they test them with a certain amount of tension on the seat belt or LATCH strap. If you put the same amount of tension when you're installing the seat, it will likely have a little (less than 1") movement. So if you want to replicate the installation the way it was tested, then don't knock yourself out getting it in there super super tight.

Kat_Momof3

as long as you are checking (not just pulling and pulling and then fighting for even more strap way after it would likely be rock solid already) to see if it's solid yet after you have removed obvious slack, I don't think it's an issue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC