Preemie Help....

U

Unregistered

Just wanted to get your opinions and/or possible leads.... I am due mid September with a surprise 6th baby. :) All of our kids have been early and weighed less than 5 pounds. My youngest came home after a month in the NICU weighing just over 4 lbs. And, they tend to be light weights into childhood. Anyway, just after finding out the news I came across a new SR35 for less than $75 and bought it knowing it would last for quite awhile, but recently realized the lower weight limit is 5 pounds, which will likely be more than what the little one will weigh at discharge. At this point $ will be an issue, so I want to make sure this little one is safe, but not spending needlessly either. Should I try and sell the SR35 now and look for a KF30, knowing I will probably be spending quite a bit more and not using it as long? Or, what about a carbed? Can they be used with a preemie that doesn't have other health problems that require them laying flat? I read that many NICUs lend them when available and thought I could maybe borrow one until the baby grows into my SR35. I wish I knew someone that had a KF22 or 30 that I could borrow, but I'm a big Graco infant seat fan, so everyone I know has gone with them too! Are there any other options? Thanks for any help.

ADS

T4K

Do you think the SR35 has some resale value, perhaps on Craigslist or something? If it's still brand new and never been used, I would try and return or resell and buy an SR30 (since you like Graco). SR30 has much lower top slots and is rated down to 4 lbs.

hrice

A car bed is a last resort for severely medically fragile babies (gastrosthesis, etc). So, no, you would not want to use one for your baby.

I would look into a Keyfit 30 or an Onboard 35 (make sure it is the 4# version) since they both have low bottom harness slots and a 4 pound minimum weight limit.

U

Unregistered

Ok... which would be your 1st 2nd and 3rd choices between the SR30, KF30, and Chaperone and why? I want to stay away from the Safety 1st products, never liked them and don't think I ever will. I bought the SR35 at Target in January, so I'm sure I won't be able to return it. Thanks for your responses.

Last edited by a moderator:

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ok... which would be your 1st 2nd and 3rd choices between the SR30, KF30, and Chaperone and why? I want to stay away from the Safety 1st products, never liked them and don't think I ever will. I bought the SR35 at Target in January, so I'm sure I won't be able to return it. Thanks for your responses.

KeyFit: fits all babies well, smooth harness adjuster, simple seat
Chaperone: fits small babies well
SR30: it's narrow, so it installs in narrow places, but a preemie's shoulders will most likely be below the bottom slots with a normal-short torso and if you follow the manual to a T, that's not allowed

U

Unregistered

Ok, one more question.... Eventhough I don't like them, I came across a "Safety 1st Comfort Carry Elite" that is on Safety 1st's website for $70 with free shipping. It states the weight limit starts at 4lbs but mentions nothing about harness height. If it fits well, I was thinking this may work until the little guy grows into the SR35? Is anyone familiar with this seat? Also, it looks like the seat itself can be secured with the seatbelt, but what about the base? It says it's secured using LATCH but doesn't look like it has any seatbelt paths. Is anyone familiar with this seat?

henrietta

Ok, one more question.... Eventhough I don't like them, I came across a "Safety 1st Comfort Carry Elite" that is on Safety 1st's website for $70 with free shipping. It states the weight limit starts at 4lbs but mentions nothing about harness height. If it fits well, I was thinking this may work until the little guy grows into the SR35? Is anyone familiar with this seat? Also, it looks like the seat itself can be secured with the seatbelt, but what about the base? It says it's secured using LATCH but doesn't look like it has any seatbelt paths. Is anyone familiar with this seat?

EVERY car seat on the market MUST be able to be installed w/a seatbelt. There are NONE that are LATCH only. All car seats now come able to be installed using either/or, so no worries there. The LATCH belt and seatbelt use the same belt path.

hths

henrietta

mygr8kiddos

To everyone that has read my post... (I was unregistered when I originally posted.) Thanks for taking the time to read and offer suggestions. Like I said in my OP, I'm a big Graco fan and will continue to be because of their OUTSTANDING customer support. I contacted them and originally inquired whether they have an infant insert like some of the other manufacturers', just to see what they said. I explained my situation and the rep did some checking and gave me a return authorization number to return my unused SR35, and they would issue me a check for the original MSRP of $149.99!!!! She apologized for not being able to offer an infant seat to fit my needs and would pass my situation on to research and development. I have always had nothing but wonderful experiences with them. Another situation I had was when my youngest, was about 9mo. My son nearly died after developing toxic shock syndrome. After a long few months, we realized that the seat fabric (Roxy from SS1) was causing an allergy what became infected. I called Graco to inquire about a replacement pad and explained why one was needed. They asked me to return the seat and extra base, had UPS pick up the items from my home, and issued me a check for the MSRP of the infant seat and extra base!!! So, if you ever have any issues with Graco, please contact them and see if they can help. If you don't hear an answer you like, it may take another call to get another rep, or asking for a supervisor, but it may be well worth it. And, on a side note I found a NEW Britax Chaperone on Craigslist for $150! I picked it up today and am relieved to have a safe infant seat for our new little guy!

T4K

mygr8kiddos said:
To everyone that has read my post... (I was unregistered when I originally posted.) Thanks for taking the time to read and offer suggestions. Like I said in my OP, I'm a big Graco fan and will continue to be because of their OUTSTANDING customer support. I contacted them and originally inquired whether they have an infant insert like some of the other manufacturers', just to see what they said. I explained my situation and the rep did some checking and gave me a return authorization number to return my unused SR35, and they would issue me a check for the original MSRP of $149.99!!!! She apologized for not being able to offer an infant seat to fit my needs and would pass my situation on to research and development. I have always had nothing but wonderful experiences with them. Another situation I had was when my youngest, was about 9mo. My son nearly died after developing toxic shock syndrome. After a long few months, we realized that the seat fabric (Roxy from SS1) was causing an allergy what became infected. I called Graco to inquire about a replacement pad and explained why one was needed. They asked me to return the seat and extra base, had UPS pick up the items from my home, and issued me a check for the MSRP of the infant seat and extra base!!! So, if you ever have any issues with Graco, please contact them and see if they can help. If you don't hear an answer you like, it may take another call to get another rep, or asking for a supervisor, but it may be well worth it. And, on a side note I found a NEW Britax Chaperone on Craigslist for $150! I picked it up today and am relieved to have a safe infant seat for our new little guy!

Great!

Was you chaperone new in box? I would make sure that it indeed is brand new.

Glad you have something for your new babe. I think there is a new post in chat with small twins leaving the hospital in a Chaperone.

On my iPhone...Probably NAK or PAK ;-)

mygr8kiddos

Yes, it was new in box. There were tags and I think the warranty card attached to the harness straps, and the manu date was 1/2011, so I'm pretty sure it was unused! I took it out of the box and played with it a little today.... WOW! The infant insert is amazing, and I LOVE the no rethread harness!

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
:2thumbsup: WTG Graco! It's good to hear about great customer service! Sometimes all we hear are the complaints. Hope you like the new Chaperone too :).

seguinfamily

Yes, it was new in box. There were tags and I think the warranty card attached to the harness straps, and the manu date was 1/2011, so I'm pretty sure it was unused! I took it out of the box and played with it a little today.... WOW! The infant insert is amazing, and I LOVE the no rethread harness!

Awesome! I know there are quite a few brand new Chaperone's floating around for sale because earlier this year you could get the Chaperone free if you bought their B-Ready stroller. So there are some great deals to be had on the Chaperone if you find the right person. :) : ): )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC