Question MT users-does this look right?

lenats31

This is a photo of an ancient Volvo that collided head on with a tourist bus in Sweden in August last year. at app 60 mph speed for each vehicles

The farther in front seat, the mother in the backseat and a 5 year-old sibling were killed upon impact. A 10 year old girl - also seated in the backseat survived with very severe injuries.

The 1 year-old in a large swedish rearfacing seat installed on the frontseat on dash survived with very few minor scratches.

27s10-krocken-870__1248048l.jpg

As you can see, there is bare a car left there, and the tourist bus overturned.

the Swedish highways have these funny gaps where cars can easierly pass from the south lane to the north lane and vice versa.

Lena

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Yes! That's what I'm talking about. You don't want a person sitting in the front seat to meet an airbag that is being deployed at the force meant for a larger person.

Yes, this is the risk, however even the 1st generation airbags were only dangerous to children and child-sized adults. A family that needs to put a 4'9" person in the front seat is facing a very different scenario that the family that needs to put a 5'+ person there. IME, the people that are having this issue aren't the people with tiny front seat passengers anyway (since tiny passengers don't need the front seat back that far anyway). 90% of the time it's a 6'2" dad and a 5'10" mom in a Subaru.

different families = different risks = no one answer

Everybody on this thread is arguing different points and not stopping to look at the fact that is all comes back to this.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Hi Lismama,

being further away from point of impact means could easierly be changed to "further away from intrusion.

Yes, intrusion and passenger survival space are important, but only one factor. In addition, the farther you are from the point of impact, there is more structure to absorb energy and a potential for increased ride down time.

I believe that USA still has quite a large number of old cars on the roads. Europe has them too. Their chassis is softer than newer cars. What this means in real life crashes is that the old cars crumple more and the passenger compartment is more likely to be more intruded. Yet, with a soft and old chassis comes less crash loads on the child and the car seat

That is true in some cases. You can go back and find various vehicles in the USA that did well in IIHS offset tests and poorly in NHTSA frontal tests, usually indicating a chassis that was so stiff that it did well in intrusion but poorly for dummy kinematics. There are also vehicles at the opposite end of the spectrum like those you mention.

Most importantly, in the last couple decades, light trucks have accounted for about half of all passenger vehicle sales in the USA. Most of these are ladder-frame pickups and SUVs that have a relatively rigid structure. These vehicles are not only relatively stiff, but also relatively massive and prone to rollover. They also seem to remain in use a relatively long time. That is a substantial difference in the USA fleet compared to Western European nations I have visited.

In newer cars the crumble zone is greater because the chassis are stiffer in order to protect the adult occupants in the front seats better. passenger compartment intrusion is less likely to happen. Yet with a stiff chassis, the crash loads on the child and the car seats which often pose a real danger to the child have increased.

Right. The best new cars are a very fine balance of being stiff and designed well enough to resist intrusion, but also crumple well enough to reduce forces on the occupants. That is one benefit of having both a full frontal (NHTSA) crash test and an offset (IIHS) frontal crash test in the USA.

It is a fact that the less a child seat can move in a crash the more controlled the movement towards the point of impact will be, the less loads are passed on to the child. In other words you add ride down time to the crash as you let the car be the primary means of protecting the child.

Right, and the farther you are from the impact, the more energy absorbing chassis is between you and the impact. Also, because the back of the front seat can move more freely, relative to a rigid dash, it provides less coupling for a RF seat to the vehicle than you might expect.

A seat that is installed with a distance to the front seat or the dashboard (still legal in the US in cars with turn-off frontal airbags) moves uncontrolled to some extent and that adds crashloads on the child and the seat too - especially if the seat hits the structure in front of it. Ride down time is shortend. The front seat is a soft struvture that is more likely to move in a crash whereas a dashboard is stiff and holds the seat and the child better.

Right, and for that exact reason, since the front seat back is a soft stucture and moves in the same direction as the child restraint, it poses basically zero risk to an occupant in a rear-facing seat. Plus, as has been mentioned, rear-facing seats are quite forgiving of issues like this. Bracing or not bracing in the back seat is really likely to be a statistically insignificant improvement compared to simply having a rear-facing seat installed and used correctly in the back seat in the first place.

Another plus to frontseat installation (provided the airbag can be turned off) is better contact to a child that tends to become unsettled when seated in the backseat. front seat installation also adds legroom to the child in case you are using a European rearfacing seat such as the Multi-tech which is the car seat this thread is about. Thereby you are likely to get more rearfacing time for your child. For all these reasons.

A good point, though European seats that provide added legroom and a foot prop are not for sale in the USA or Canada and are rather pricey if imported. If you've researched the safety issues, understand the issues with importation, customs and local standards, purchased a model of this type and wish to brace it in the front seat when no active airbag is present and no restrictions are given in the manuals, then by all means do so. Your child will be extremely safe.

A rearfacing seat that is installed at an angel like 45 degrees with a little plus and minus, doesn´t have a supportleg and is not touching or braced on front seat or dash, has a greater downward rotation and the child in it rotates upwards towards the top of the seat. This would be a USA style rearfacing seat.

Right, at least a worst case installed one for a toddler or older child. Combined with a somewhat loose installation, it can rotate even more. Combined with a loose harness and ejection is a very real risk.

A rearfacing seat with a footprop that is also installed at less angle ie about 10 degree angle the downward rotation is vastly reduced and the rotation of the child mirrors that. The child moves INTO the seat and the seat moves away from the seatback. This would be a European style rearfacing seat such as the one in question here. The Britax Multi-Tech is a European rearfacing car seat with a supportleg and it is installed at an app 10 degree angle.

this guy explains this really well IMO. He has many many years of experience with car seats. He has a fantastic track record.

http://www.sikkerautostol.dk/2010/09/isofix-vs-bilseleseatbelt/

Hope this clears things up

Lena:)

Obviously, if we had the same vehicles, same child seats, same federal standards, same best practice polcies and other all the other factors present in Sweden, then this would be a moot conversation. But, the USA is quite different, as is true of Canada and many individual countries. That is exactly why it is generally a good idea to use seats approved for use in your own country and follow the given instructions. Of course, there are always exceptions based on specific circumstances.

Is this not a theoretical discussion at this point?
Which brings me to my main point; blanket recommendations are never appropriate in the CPS world because our job is to educate, not recommend. We are good techs when we learn and share the whys.

Yes, it is presumably understood to be theoretical to the participants. But, in a public forum like this one, it's easy for a parent to find a single post on a search engine and come away with bad advice. That last point is one of my main points, also:

I certainly agree about blanket recommendations, especially if they are contrary to the instructions. Always follow the instructions if possible. If there is an exception based on a specific circumstance, then research and make an informed choice. In the case of bracing a RF seat, that choice will usually be fine, but not in all cases.

lenats31

Obviously, if we had the same vehicles, same child seats, same federal standards, same best practice polcies and other all the other factors present in Sweden, then this would be a moot conversation.

I agree:). Also if you don´t ask the "Why" questions, we would be people who hang their head on a hook and install child seats thereafter, because we would be doing it without really knowing what we are doing. Personally when I´m installing seats phrases like "because it is not safe" and "because it is the safest way" simply DO NOT exsist onless they are used in connection with the REASONS.

Lena

Kanuni

This particular forum is international, yes, but the discussion at hand is about US cars. I was mostly referring to the board as a whole, as it's very rare to get questions from outside the US and Canada, and when we do, I think we do take into consideration the type of cars available in that country.

As for the other issue, I don't have anything on hand, nor can I really search right now, but if there's going to be intrusion into the passenger compartment, it's going to happen at the point of impact. Also energy dissipates the farther away it gets.

The question of this topic is about a SWEDISH seat. And since in the manual of this product, installing to the front seat (with disabled airbag) is allowed and considered safe, talking against front seat installation and saying "back seat is safer" as a generalization (at least for these types of carseats) is wrong IMO, that is all I am saying.

The main issue I am stating is that the instruction manuals should be followed as the primary source of information, regardless of the country.

I have no objection to that. But when different manuals from different countries differ, it is wrong to make a generalization based on one of them.

As I said before, if the harness is too loose to the point where ejection is possible, there may be essentially no force on it. The child can ramp forward and slip through the harness. That is a worst case scenario, yes, but I have seen that scenario many times at checkup events.

Certainly, rear-facing seats are more forgiving of many types of misuse than front-facing seats. His suggestion that a worst installed rear-facing seat was far safer than the best installed front-facing seat is where I took a major exception. Experiment on your own child if you absolutely must, but please don't pass it around here as a good suggestion for other parents unless you have some very good supporting evidence!

I don't think anyone here "suggested" a loose install for RF though. :)

Second guessing the manufacturer about why a warning exists is essentially allowing a child to be the crash test dummy. Is it a legal reason? Is it a safety reason? If you know the answer, by all means make the appropriate choice for your own child. Again, suggesting that another parent ignore a warning or instruction is entirely different, especially without concrete statistics or relevant studies that you can share as supporting evidence.

I will not second guess a manufacturer about why a warning exists, I only want to learn the REASON of a prohibition and whether they are there based on certain circumstances of a country (like having mostly old cars or cars without the chance of disabling an airbag in US). If I can't learn the reason, I will not second guess and not ignore the manual. I would never advise any friend from US with a US car & carseat to install their carseat in front anyway, due to the same prohibition.

I maintain that following manufacturer's instructions is important in any country.
Exactly! And that is why, if there is a part for "front seat installation" in the manual of a Swedish carseat, it is not right to talk against it just because instructions and manuals are different in another country. Maybe for USA, with older cars, types of carseats and general practises etc... talking against it is the right thing to do, but just think about let's say Americans living in Europe, using European cars and/or seats. There are some of them visiting these forums as well, no? Maybe, due to the advise given here which infact only applies to USA, they will not put one of their kids in front rear facing, but in back seat forward seating (due to not enough space having many kids for example) and this will effect the safety of the kid negatively.

Last edited:

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
I have no objection to that. But when different manuals from different countries differ, it is wrong to make a generalization based on one of them.

It may well be an unsafe generalization to apply one to the other, unless you know with 100% certainty that all the other possible variables are the same in both countries, such that the only difference at all is the change in printing in the manual.

I don't think anyone here "suggested" a loose install for RF though. :)

I would consider a "worst installed" RF seat to be loose, even extremely loose. It was more than a suggestion, it was a specific comparison with no supporting evidence and I disputed it.

I will not second guess a manufacturer about why a warning exists, I only want to learn the REASON of a prohibition and whether they are there based on certain circumstances of a country (like having mostly old cars or cars without the chance of disabling an airbag in US). If I can't learn the reason, I will not second guess and not ignore the manual. I would never advise any friend from US with a US car & carseat to install their carseat in front anyway, due to the same prohibition.

That is very reasonable.

Exactly! And that is why, if there is a part for "front seat installation" in the manual of a Swedish carseat, it is not right to talk against it just because instructions and manuals are different in another country.

I certainly did not talk against what is done in Sweden or anywhere else. Sweden has an impressive track record. My only comments have been that isolated variables and practices that are done there may not be appropriate for the USA or other countries, especially if they are contrary to instructions or best practice policies in that country. In fact, I've clearly stated that it is a good idea to follow the manuals and policies for your own country as the primary resource, unless there is a specific exception for some reason.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Kanuni said:
The question of this topic is about a SWEDISH seat. And since in the manual of this product, installing to the front seat (with disabled airbag) is allowed and considered safe, talking against front seat installation and saying "back seat is safer" as a generalization (at least for these types of carseats) is wrong IMO, that is all I am saying.

This thread has gone off on several different tangents. Yes, we are talking about a SWEDISH seat and how it installs in US cars. I'm not saying that rear-facing in the front seat is unsafe (presuming no airbag), but I'm not convinced it's safer than rear-facing in the back seat. That said, if a person has a vehicle and car seat that encourage rear-facing in the front seat, I wouldn't try to talk them out of it. I would certainly prefer rear-facing in the front seat (no airbag) to forward-facing in the back seat.

I'd say this thread is a perfect example of how importing a foreign seat is not as cut-and-dried as merely being a technicality.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC