Question MT users-does this look right?

ADS

sailingdaddy

We were simply trying to figure out if he was a better fit in the 2nd to top or top slots since his shoulders were exactly even with the 2nd to top,...

I got that,

... and MT requires at or above.

except for in the highest position where they can continue to use the seat until they reach one of the other limiting factors; (manual p6)

1. Weight
2. childs eye-level becomes level with the top of the seat

but, most kids seem to outgrow it because their shoulders doesn't fit under the headrest

My point was that harness height is never the limiting factor. (Of course a very heavy and short child may hit #1 and a child with short torso and very long neck may hit #2, but it's important to point out that harness height does not constitute a limit of use, otherwise the MT would be outgrown far too quickly for many kids.

BR

/Marcus

LuvMyCharlie

I got that,

except for in the highest position where they can continue to use the seat until they reach one of the other limiting factors; (manual p6)

1. Weight
2. childs eye-level becomes level with the top of the seat

but, most kids seem to outgrow it because their shoulders doesn't fit under the headrest

My point was that harness height is never the limiting factor. (Of course a very heavy and short child may hit #1 and a child with short torso and very long neck may hit #2, but it's important to point out that harness height does not constitute a limit of use, otherwise the MT would be outgrown far too quickly for many kids.

BR

/Marcus

I'm aware of that, hence why that particular picture and the picture above it show the amount of growing room he has. And like you said, most kids 'outgrow' it when their shoulders no longer fit under the headrest. It was just to give a visual representation for MY child, not a hard fast 'rule.'

LuvMyCharlie

A couple of little sister getting in on the action. She'll be ten months old Saturday and is 19 lbs. and 29" tall.
5738481838_2b43449cbc.jpg

5737930083_0ce7d62c2c.jpg

Last edited:

KaiLing

How are you checking the harness tightness? He's now been in it once (thanks Amanda!) and was throwing a fit (poor tired guy), but should I pinch above the strap pads, back below his ears? Or just get it as tight as I can and call it a day?

Also, did you have success adjusting the head rest while installed?

Last edited:

KaiLing

And here is the room between the carseat and vehicle seat. They're not touching, I swear! There's at least a 1 cm. gap between them.

Last thing: My MT manual allows touching, not bracing. I think touching would be OK for Mazda too, right? I don't have it in front of me, but it warns against pressure as from a bag hung on the seat, not against touching.

LuvMyCharlie

How are you checking the harness tightness? He's now been in it once (thanks Amanda!) and was throwing a fit (poor tired guy), but should I pinch above the strap pads, back below his ears? Or just get it as tight as I can and call it a day?

Also, did you have success adjusting the head rest while installed?

I can adjust the headrest while installed but it takes a bit of finagling.

I'm just pulling the harness as tight as I can and then giving it one more good tug. Can't really do the pinch test with this one.

Last thing: My MT manual allows touching, not bracing. I think touching would be OK for Mazda too, right? I don't have it in front of me, but it warns against pressure as from a bag hung on the seat, not against touching.

I would think touching would be okay but what about once you put the weight of the child in the seat? It would be more than lightly touching, right?

Curious, what are the minimums for the seat? It looks like any child smaller, the harness wouldn't tighten because of the pads.

I believe it's 9 months and around 20 lbs.? I guess I should add a disclaimer to my pics, then. DD isn't using the seat but for reference, she's 19.5 lbs. and 9 months.

KaiLing

LuvMyCharlie said:
I'm just pulling the harness as tight as I can and then giving it one more good tug. Can't really do the pinch test with this one.

Yup, looks like that's the new policy over here, too. The pads make me nervous but ill get used to it. This means no secondary care giver is going to be buckling him in to this one without a full seminar on the MT. This is not a beginner's seat.

KaiLing

My front seat is back! My front seat is back! Happy dance! Amanda (Jourdysmom) checked it and thanks to her I'm doing the happy dance of the woman who can sit next to her husband in the car again.

(Sorry, I realize my glee is technically OT, but I'm just so pleased that the 5 person car can be a 4 person car again! It's so rare that I throw money at a problem and see the outcome so fast!)

mrandmrshaynes

Is it true that that the MT harness straps need to be above the child's shoulders when RF too? It says something about the straps having to be above the child's shoulders but doesn't specify about RF or FF for that. And I spoke to parent who has the seat and she said they have to be at or above at all times whither FF or RF. Can anyone clarify please??? :confused:

gsdguenter

Is it true that that the MT harness straps need to be above the child's shoulders when RF too? It says something about the straps having to be above the child's shoulders but doesn't specify about RF or FF for that. And I spoke to parent who has the seat and she said they have to be at or above at all times whither FF or RF. Can anyone clarify please??? :confused:

rfing in the MT the harness needs to be at or ABOVE the shoulders. Once they are on the top slot though it is okay for them to stay rfing in the seat even with their shoulders above the slots until the tips of their ears are level with the top of the seat.

mrandmrshaynes

Thank you for the information. Now my next question is how does this work in a crash. With normal RF and the straps being at or below it keeps the child from ridding up in the seat...so with them now ridding up in the seat of the MT how is this safe?

Sorry for the questions, I just really want to make sure of all these little bits of information before ordering two of them :)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
It rf 20-55#, ff 20-40#, and is a booster from 33-55#.

I don't remember reading the part in the manual about outgrowing it rfing and ok w/ the straps below the shoulders. I just remember it pointing out very emphatically to always have the straps above the shoulders. According to that Ilana could rf for a bit longer in it. She's right at the top slots but maybe an inch under the head wings judging by pics.

Pixels

Thank you for the information. Now my next question is how does this work in a crash. With normal RF and the straps being at or below it keeps the child from ridding up in the seat...so with them now ridding up in the seat of the MT how is this safe?

Sorry for the questions, I just really want to make sure of all these little bits of information before ordering two of them :)

The MT is much more upright than our RFing seats, so ramping up will be greatly reduced just from that. Leg prop means virtually no downward rotation, whereas our seats can go down to 70 degrees - almost flat. Also, there are still belts across the thighs, and if the child does manage to ramp up far enough, the straps are still attached above the shoulders. What's important is that the child is contained within the seat.

sailingdaddy

I don't remember reading the part in the manual about outgrowing it rfing and ok w/ the straps below the shoulders.

Page 6:

Lift the harness adjuster and move it up or down so that the harness strap
slots in the headrest are level with or just above your child’s shoulders.
When the headrest is in the correct position let go of the harness adjuster and ensure it has locked in to place.
Once you reach the top of the slots, your child may continue to use the seat until their eye-level becomes level with the top of the seat or their weight exceeds the following:
Rearward facing: 25kg
Forward facing: 18kg

/Marcus

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC