Question MT users-does this look right?

LuvMyCharlie

I've read and re-read the manual, as well as reading some past posts on here and I feel pretty confident I've got it right. BUT...I'd like a check please. Something to keep in mind: this is a Multitech II so I believe there are some differences. There is no green/red on the foot prop. Only this little piece that pops in and out and gives an audible click once locked.

The foot prop matches the angle in the back of the user manual exactly. Tethers are routed around the vehicle seat. Pardon my nasty floorboard and yes, I do plan to rubberband the excess tether once I'm sure this is right. ;)
5735068496_4fa45c2676.jpg

DS is 3 years, (almost) 11 months, 42 3/4" tall and 40 lbs. In these photos, the straps appear to be below his shoulders but they're literally sitting even with them. You can tell when he leans back into the seat. That said, I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to keep things how they are or if I want to bump him up to the top slots. Help?
5735069770_8e1deff1c4.jpg

5735065868_5f09b853fd.jpg

I do like how his head seems to be nicely contained within the headwings on this slots(2nd from top).
5735067140_4594e043c8.jpg

So what say you? I didn't take any pics of him on the top slots but I'll be more than happy to. :p

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It definitely looks like he's ALMOST ready for the next slots, but I think he's ok there for now. I don't know about the rest (don't have mine yet) but it looks good to me. :)

Pixels

I'd like to see him on the top slots. I think I will like it better there, but need to see it of course.

Is the seat bracing? Touching?

You need to update your siggy. :whistle:

LuvMyCharlie

I'd like to see him on the top slots. I think I will like it better there, but need to see it of course.

Is the seat bracing? Touching?

You need to update your siggy. :whistle:

I'll snap some pictures in the morning.

It's not allowed to brace, per carseat manual and per vehicle manual. There's about 2 cm. of space between the carseat and the vehicle seat. Maybe more, I dunno. But no, it's not touching.

And yeah, I know. Haven't gotten that far yet. ;)

LuvMyCharlie

I love it so far. Very intuitive, I think. He has quite a bit of growing room.

Does it look too upright to anyone else? I could just have googly eyes from fighting with the f$*&%#& Radian for so long. Is there any way I can get just the littlest bit more recline? The tethers are as tight as they can humanly be pulled. Both DH and I gave them a good workout this afternoon.

KaiLing

Questions: 1. You didn't remove the mat under the foot: did you have a bit of trouble getting the foot to hit properly and stay in the right place? I haven't had a kid in it except for fun yet, maybe it stays in place once there's a kid in there? I was going to try getting rid of the mat next, but Project MT is on hold until next week when jourdy'smom is going to come check it for me.

2. You went around the seat like in the manual, rather than around the slides even though car seat has advanced airbags and says no bracing? I took my Mazda manual's description of its butt-area weight sensors to mean that the loop around the seat was not a great idea. But maybe our manuals are written differently?

LuvMyCharlie

The mat didn't give me any problems. Before we tightened the tethers down hard enough I could knock the prop out of the 'alignment.' Now that the tethers have been tightened sufficiently, I'd probably have to kick it pretty hard for it to move.

As far as the airbags, I've played around with the sensors before. Does your car have the 'passenger airbag off' light? I've intentionally braced a Radian there before, hard enough to make that light come on. Then I took it out and just let it lean on the seat, and had someone sit in both the vehicle and carseats and the light stayed off. Sometimes if I put too many bags in the front seat the light will come on. But with just my normal purse, it stays off. Now with the tethers tightened, and someone in the passenger seat, the light continues to stay off which I take to mean the airbag is still active. I dunno. Parental decision, I guess?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The thing is that the light being off (meaning it's active) doesn't mean that in a crash it won't misinterpret that extra/different weight distribution in a way that changes the way/speed/whether the airbag deploys. Just to add that to your information to consider in making your parental decition. :)

KaiLing

As far as the airbags, I've played around with the sensors before. Does your car have the 'passenger airbag off' light? I've intentionally braced a Radian there before, hard enough to make that light come on. Then I took it out and just let it lean on the seat, and had someone sit in both the vehicle and carseats and the light stayed off. Sometimes if I put too many bags in the front seat the light will come on. But with just my normal purse, it stays off. Now with the tethers tightened, and someone in the passenger seat, the light continues to stay off which I take to mean the airbag is still active. I dunno. Parental decision, I guess?

Huh, haven't actually tried to trick it to figure out what's going on (though that's been the dog's seat for two freakin' years, thank you Radian). I'll aim for the slides, see what happens and go from there.

dianne9106

No advice, but I have never seen a seat like this in the US. I will have to look it up. Is it a European seat? I had never seen seats with a prop except when we were in England and Germany. It looks so safe!

LuvMyCharlie

Okay, here are the requested top slot pictures. :) Looking at these, now I think I like THIS better. :p
5736343959_c074f33305.jpg

5736894644_30cb0e558b.jpg

5736342843_5da619efab.jpg

Growing room. Hard to tell but that little grey sliver near the boostering belt guide is the top harness 'slot.'
5736342599_e9aaf473e2.jpg

I did a complete re-install and have the footprop all figured out, plus got it just a little more reclined(I think). Also, upon consideration of KQ's statement, decided to move my tethers to the seat rails. :thumbsup:
5736895794_3c9f3dcf06.jpg

And here is the room between the carseat and vehicle seat. They're not touching, I swear! There's at least a 1 cm. gap between them. The vehicle seat is at the same position as the driver's seat. Since DH and I use the same driving settings in my car, both of us will be comfortable in the passenger seat. :)
5736895514_20ebc901b5.jpg

KaiLing

And here is the room between the carseat and vehicle seat. They're not touching, I swear! There's at least a 1 cm. gap between them. The vehicle seat is at the same position as the driver's seat. Since DH and I use the same driving settings in my car, both of us will be comfortable in the passenger seat. :)

Hooray! That's good front seat news! Are y'all regularly sized people, like 5'6" and 6' or so? I'm obsessively reading about your MT while waiting to install mine.

(Also, did I mention that your kid has the cutest haircut and puka shells necklace combo? He's got such an adorable little surfer thing going on!)

sailingdaddy

It looks good, my comments:

1. AFAIK there is still a red/green indicatr on the new foot prop but it is moved to under the locking button. Yours is still red and it means the tethers are not tight enough.

2. Recline seems OK to me, this seat is meant to be more upright than what most US parents are used to, but if you ajust the tethers you will gain slightly more recline. Have someone push down hard on the seat while you pull them as tight as you possibly can.

3. I don't understand the picture/comment about growing room. Most kids outgrow the MT when their shoulders doesn't fit under the head wings (in the highest position of course), regardless of the harness.

Other than that it looks great, and I would also use the higher setting like in the last pictures.

/Marcus

Last edited:

LuvMyCharlie

Hooray! That's good front seat news! Are y'all regularly sized people, like 5'6" and 6' or so? I'm obsessively reading about your MT while waiting to install mine.

(Also, did I mention that your kid has the cutest haircut and puka shells necklace combo? He's got such an adorable little surfer thing going on!)

I'm 5'6" and DH is 6'1".

Thank you! I'm letting his hair grow out right now so it's not actually a 'cut.' We're moving to Guam in the fall so he'll fit right in with the surfer look. ;)

It looks good, my comments:

1. AFAIK there is still a red/green indicatr on the new foot prop but it is moved to under the locking button. Yours is still red and it means the tethers are not tight enough.

Found that. You'll see it's green in the second set of pics.

2. Recline seems OK to me, this seat is meant to be more upright than what most US parents are used to, but if you ajust the tethers you will gain slightly more recline. Have someone push down hard on the seat while you pull them as tight as you possibly can.

3. I donät understand the picture/comment about growing room. Most kids outgrow the MT when their shoulders doesnt fit under the head wings (in the highest position of course), regardless of the harness.

PP was curious about how much growth room he had. He's a bit longer than average in the torso so it's nice to compare how kids fit in different seat. We were simply trying to figure out if he was a better fit in the 2nd to top or top slots since his shoulders were exactly even with the 2nd to top, and MT requires at or above.

Other than that it looks great, and I would also use the higher setting like in the last pictures.

/Marcus

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC