Picking a seat based on the cover??? Help me!

lovemybabybug

A few months ago I came here to ask for help picking a seat. Ended up with the MR ( I was torn between MR and MA70, but hubby set a $150 budget for the seat).

Fast forward to today. I like the MR, don't love it. It works in my car, it works for my kid, I am ok with it...BUT, I LOVE THE COW!!!! I WANT A COW!!!! I think about it all the time!

Now the harness on my MR is fraying. Called Graco they offered a replacement or refund. Should I get the replacement? Or should a get a refund, save up some more money, wait for a great deal on a MA70 and get my moo seat? If I had the refund right now I could get it on diapers.com for $172, which really isn't bad at all. I can spring an extra $25.

Now I KNOW I will get more use out of the MR. I have put her in both, she has more shell height and leg room in the MR. I really like how much leg room the MR has ( her feet don't even touch the back seat yet). DD is a shrimp. She is 18m, 19 lbs 5 oz, 30 1/2 inches, 11 inch torso. Her waist is so tiny, she wears 6m shorts :D

Should I get a seat JUST because I love the cover so much? Are her legs gonna be crammed by the time she is 2 1/2, 3ish? I know that's not a safety concern, but she is not very fond of the car seat, she always yells she is stuck, and if the MA70 is gonna make her even more uncomfortable, maybe I should just skip it.

Help me!!!

Btw, she is using a Scenera as a temp seat. Not my fave, but I am ok with using it a bit longer.

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would not buy a seat just because of the cover. I choose seats based on their ease of use for me, their value (length of time that can be used) and their comfort for my child.

emy_lou

I dont think you should get a new seat ONLY cuz of the cover... But I kinda did it a few weeks ago :)

My older 2 girls had/HAVE the Graco Nauti's and my youngest had a Graco MR. It was ALWAYS a fight to get her in her seat. She wanted to be in sissy's seats. So I knew I was going to get another Nauti but, If I would have just went to walmart I could have gotten it for $150, But instead I spent almost $200 on it because I wanted the Cover (Julia)... Seems pretty silly but, I REALLY wanted that cover. LOL....

So anywho, I think you should pick a seat thats going to be good for your LO and then find a cover you love that fits it!!!

Good Luck!

lovemybabybug

Thanks ladies!

See, as of right now, both would work. They fit in my car, and DD fits in both bautifully. The only little thing bugging me is the leg room down the road. The MR has never ben a favorite really. The adjuster sucks, it's kind of high on the sides and I bump DD's head quite often. Also, it doesn't really fit well FF in my car, although she won't be turning anytime soon.

Spam

sounds like you're talking yourself into a cow ;) I have two cows and love them, even though the blvd70 probably isn't my favorite seat. I also have a mr and just adore the thing. I've bought seats just because I like the cover. If pumpkin is a girl, i really want a purple aton, but i have a perfectly good teutonia that i love but it's not purple :p

TerisBoys

Could you live with the MyRide until she turns FF, and then go for a Moo Frontier? Compromise of sorts :)

christineka

I recently bought a car seat due to the cover. I have small kids who can last in a britax convertible for a long time. (My 6 year old fits with room to spare in a marathon.) I also have a thing for buying car seats. I know that if at some time the marathon no longer fills a need, I'll sell it and buy something else.

jujumum

I'd also vote for getting a Frontier in cowmoo when the time comes instead.

For now, have you looked at the MR Cuddle cover? Replacement covers are usually around $40. It isn't cow, but it does have an animal print. Did graco offer to send you a new harness or new seat?

AnnieW625

I can honestly see both sides to this. I was all sold on getting my DD1 a Graco Nautilus in 2009 for my DH's car (she was just shy of 3 then; we didn't ERF) and DH who is a mechanical engineer was with me and part of the reason we chose the Britax Frontier was the quality of the fabrics and overall construction. He thought that the Frontier had better fabrics. We were using this seat to replace an outgrown Evenflo Triumph 5 and while we loved the mechanics and the ease of use of the Triumph the fabric hadn't held up as well as our Britax Marathon. So yes I have bought seats based on cover choices.

With all of that said though I don't think I would switch your daughter now from the My Ride if the seat fits her so well and she is used to it. My DD1 hated her Britax Marathon and much preferred her Evenflo Triumph 5 a lot more from the time she was 12 months to 2/1/2 yrs. old, she was just way more comfortable. I know the new MA 70 has changed, but before you buy a seat I would take her into the store and try her out in it first.

Also the price on the Marathon is now $223, so $178 after the 20% off discount.

KristinJ

If you love the cow mama....go for it! There's nothing wrong with the Marathon is a great seat that installs like a breeze- and sounds like you have a small one on your hands anyway. I hear ya on the leg room...but most kid tend to cross their legs anyway, right?

I say go for it :)

lovemybabybug

Could you live with the MyRide until she turns FF, and then go for a Moo Frontier? Compromise of sorts :)

Hmmmm, maybe :D

I stuck her in her friend's BLVD today and didn't like how she fit RF. She has to bend her legs already, while in the MR even with straight legs, her feet still don't touch the back seat. I am commitec to RF to at least 3, so I think in the long run, the MR will work better *sigh*

lovemybabybug

I'd also vote for getting a Frontier in cowmoo when the time comes instead.

For now, have you looked at the MR Cuddle cover? Replacement covers are usually around $40. It isn't cow, but it does have an animal print. Did graco offer to send you a new harness or new seat?

They are gonna replace the whole seat, but told me to keep my cover set, as they can't promise they will send me the same. Now I am really hoping they will send me a different one, so I have two to switch back and forth. I haven't really paid attention to cuddles, I know it has pink on it, but that's about it.

Kel

I'm in the same place as you, and DH is getting tired of it, lol. Back and forth, back and forth, lol.

I have 5 kids. 1st 3 are boys 11,9 and 7. Then a girl 4, she got a pink MA when she out grew her pink bucket, lol. Now my new little man is 12mos and in a MR Streamer cover. I wanted the cow soooo bad the entire time I was preg., but I loved the cup/toy holders on the MR. He fits so good in it. It's a great seat. BUT it does not mooooow at me, lol! So I keep telling my self FR85,but I don't think I can wait that long, lol.

I try and try to get my DD to get the cow in the FR85, I told her it's a cow girl seat and it's what Jessie from Toy Story would use, lol. But nope, she said only pink for her.

Sorry I'm not much help, but i feel for you, lol.

Kobain's Mommy

I know it's a long way off for my DS but DH and I have talked already. I love the CowMooos that when DS is ready to FF we'll get him a Frontier in CowMoo for my vehicle and a red one for DH's truck. We already know a GN won't fit in the truck without over hang so DH is willing to pay more for 2 Frontiers since I want a cow and he doesn't.

christineka

What I have found out, though, is as kids get older they get picky about what they do and do not like. Some people don't let their kids choose covers, but I do as long as they are reasonably priced. I figured I'd get the cow now and when dd is old enough to vocally ask for her preference (right now it is obviously pink) I'll let her have the pink seat. (Or whatever it is then.) My dd2 decided she liked plush and said she'd have cow if it was the only plush I could get. She has purple and does not want anything else. My kids don't have the cow love.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC