News Toddler hit by drunk driver finally goes home

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
Not sure how national this news has been, but a little toddler here who essentially suffered an internal decapitation finally got to go home after seven months in our children's hospital.

Story here.

Also a nice SN setup pic in that article.

Can you imagine? It's amazing he even survived. Poor little guy :(

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Wow... sad story...

Well, looks like he was convicted as a juvenile and not an adult. Because he would be 18 when he got out.

IMO if you commit an adult crime, particularly one that kills or maims someone you should pay the adult penalty. That child has a life sentence because of that 17 year old's actions.

What seat is that in the picture?

scariestone

IMO if you commit an adult crime, particularly one that kills or maims someone you should pay the adult penalty. That child has a life sentence because of that 17 year old's actions.

ITA! I'm pretty sure I had steam coming out of my ears after I read 480 days. He was drunk driving AND drinking underage. Both of those things are supposed to carry a stiff penalty but put them together and he spends 16 months in jail? WTF? And because he was convicted as a juvenile, he won't have to reveal it on job applications or anything else so his life basically goes on as planned. Meanwhile this family is changed forever and their precious child will spend his life attached to medical equipment. Freaking ridiculous.

momtotwogirls

Poor baby! i read some of the comments too. i cant believe the 2nd one? i think she said that basically they should have let the baby die because the 3.5 mil in hospital bills he acquired could have saved multiple other people. Thats horrible to think about.

Kat_Momof3

perhaps if you forward that info to Joel's grandpa, he can contact them and they would be more open to info on rearfacing from him because of Joel having suffered similar injuries from a similar situation.

I'm just thinking that would be the best way to try to ensure they not only read the advice, but that it is given in the most delicate way and that they are most likely to follow it.

monstah

I'm going to make an assumption...

Since he is so medically fragile, it's likely he wont be travelling often at all and when he does, it will most likely be in an ambulance or special needs van. Having a convertible may be moot since riding on the stretcher is essentially riding RFing.
It's possible by the time he is strong enough to travel in a family car (if ever?) he will be past any US RF weight limit.

In any case, I am so absolutely heart broken for that little boy. Best wishes to him & his family. :(

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Poor baby! i read some of the comments too. i cant believe the 2nd one? i think she said that basically they should have let the baby die because the 3.5 mil in hospital bills he acquired could have saved multiple other people. Thats horrible to think about.

People say horrible things when they are hiding behind the anonymity of the internet. I try not to read comments on stories like this because of this.

momtotwogirls

People say horrible things when they are hiding behind the anonymity of the internet. I try not to read comments on stories like this because of this.

Yeah i stopped reading after that. its jsut horrible to think of, its ok to let this little boy die because he may not see or walk jsut so others can live. Not saying that they dont deserve to live, ykim?

emy_lou

That is so sad. I'm glad to hear of the help the family is receiving, and that the community is pitching in to help them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC