What is a reasonable DOM on a brand new seat?

mommyof3tx

I just ordered a combi coccoro from diapers.com and it came today and it's DOM is 2/09?? Over 2yrs old already??? Is that common for it to be THAT old?

ADS

mommyof3tx

I did get it on sale, they had it on for $165.99 instead of the original $199.99...but then I was able to apply a coupon code so actually paid $141. So yeah a good deal but don't know if it was that good of a deal, I had planned to use it for at least 2yrs, longer if baby fits longer so by the time I resold it it would be close to expired

jjordan

That's pretty bad. I'd give them a call and see if you can get a further discount. What is the total life of the seat? If you basically lost (for example) 25% of the usable life, then you could ask for a 25% discount from what you paid and see what they say.

mommyof3tx

I was thinking it was 6yrs but just looked in the manual and it's 7yrs...so it has 5yrs left. Ehh I guess it's not as bad as I was thinking, I was thinking 1/3 of it's life was already gone. But still really wish I had known before buying it that it was so old. I really expected much newer from a place like diapers.com seeing they are a pretty popular site

katiesmommy

I did get it on sale, they had it on for $165.99 instead of the original $199.99...but then I was able to apply a coupon code so actually paid $141. So yeah a good deal but don't know if it was that good of a deal, I had planned to use it for at least 2yrs, longer if baby fits longer so by the time I resold it it would be close to expired

Okay, so super super technical for a moment. If you take the $200 and divide it by the 6 years (assuming) it's good for it comes up to $33 per year. You got $58 off. So technically it was a really good deal for only having 1 year off the life.

However, that said if you're not happy with that or you think it won't last the amount of time you need it for, call them.

ETA: Oops posted at the same time.

mommyof3tx

If you do it by the actual 7yrs it is it comes out to $145 for the 5 yrs it has left so I guess it's not that bad. But I only got that because I had an additional code. I know I won't use it for 5yrs so it has enough life for us but I really wish I had known beforehand...probably would have still bought it but it wouldn't have been such a surprise you know? I don't expect to buy something and it be over 2yrs old already.

Kobain's Mommy

I got one from Target.com for $160. It was a 10/10 and I got the seat mid April. I was going to order from diapers.com but was afraid since I'd seen a few on here with DOM issues from them. IIRC another poster bought a CCO from diapers.com and had an almost 2 year old seat. I wonder if that was the seat she returned.

mommyof3tx

Oh really? I hadn't heard anything about it before. My DH did say the box was almost fully opened when it was delivered. But all tags are attached so I'm guessing it's brand new, surely it's brand new. But mine is a cool mint

Kobain's Mommy

I would still call. Worst case you keep it and pay what you currently paid. Or they may end up crediting you something back because you've lost 2 years on the seat.

KristinJ

I would call for sure. THey should have at least let you know before ordering. For example, I just ordered a Radian in champagne color. THey had in parenthesis that it was a 2010 model. The other option was Granite- and they had no date information on that one so I assumed that seat was a current DOM.

I ordered champagne anyway b/c i wanted the color and the price was awesome. I would think for a two year old seat, they should have it listed that that's what you're getting- otherwise you're thinking you're getting a NEW seat for that price. not fair.

mamom

When my radian was over 1 year old diapers.com offered a refund or to replace the seat. They have GREAT customer service.

mommyof3tx

At this point I'm not too happy with their CS...but I'm on hold for a supervisor so we'll see. The girl I talked to a minute ago said they have no way of seeing what the DOM is (it's printed on the side of the box right under the color which they have to look at to be sure they are getting the right one) and my only option is to return for a full refund....which I don't want to do seeing I bought the seat for a reason. She said if I sent it in for an exchange I could get the same DOM they can't guarantee anything newer.

T4K

I would try an even exchange...then if you get something with a DOM just as bad, then return it for full refund.

mommyof3tx

Well I definitely want the seat and I'm having a hard time finding my color other places because it's just been discontinued so I don't want to return it. I was thinking of just exchanging it and hoping for a better date but this week my BP has suddenly spiked and I'm 35.5wks pregnant so it's possible they will decide to take him at any time so now I'm worried we won't have a seat if I send this back and wait for them to get it and send a new one. I think I'm just going to keep it, I really wish I had known before ordering, but I do want the seat so guess I'll just deal with it

I spoke with the supervisor, she is calling Combi to find out when they stopped manufacturing them

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC