My 3 across doesnt work as well as I want

hunypooh77

I have a 03 Explorer, we now have a turbo booster outboard drivers side, a classic MA ff in the center and a keyfit outboard passenger side. Problem is the keyfit handle (where it attaches to the seat) is up against the MA and you have to really reach across the seat and shove that side down hard to get it to lock in place. I didnt realise it wasnt locking in until yesterday when I went to remove it from the base for something and noticed that side was a bit loose...good thing baby isnt here yet and nobody rode in it like that.
Dd is almost out of her MA and will need a new seat by the end of summer at the latest I am guessing, is there anything that would be good ofr her that would fit better in the center?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Are you installing the kf with latch or seat belt?

Did you try with the handle down?

Chris

No firsthand experience, but the CA's are supposed to be relatively narrow. Of course you could try a radian...if you want to spend that much money on a seat that has a lot of question marks behind it currently. Good Luck!

I loved my KF by the way, the latch install was even easier than a britax (love that single pull strap). The seatbelt install is pretty easy too.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The Radian works beautifully in the older Explorers. So does the Complete Air. I have put both in our 2002 and with both the front seats are able to be all the way back. The center lap belt works great with both seats as well.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

canadiangie

I have a 03 explorer. A Radian works great in the middle.

My vehicle looks like this right now:

2nd row driver - KF
2nd row middle - RF RN
2nd row pass - hb TB

3rd row driver - frontier XT/85
3rd row pass - FF RN

I have also had the 2nd row set up with the Frontier where the TB normally is.

I've also had a MR65 and BV65 where the KF usually is.

hunypooh77

The handle on the KF is up, but I dont think it matters at all because the spot that is hitting the MA is where the handle is attached to the KF. Oh, and it is installed using latch. If my back seat was like the one in DHs truck it would be awesome, we have pretty much the same setup but its a Frontier 85 in the center instead and there is plenty of room between seats...
I just had dd at he dr yesterday for her checkup and she is 42 3/4 inches tall and weighs 44 pounds. I have tried her in the Radian 80 and she seemed to have more harness room than her MA but it was also sitting on the floor in the store so its hard to say. I am not opposed to getting her a seat that she can pass down to the baby, I'm just not sure how much time she will get out of it.
The turbo booster also doesnt work to well in the center, not enough room to buckle it easily and ds will complain that its hard to get to...

hunypooh77

I have a 03 explorer. A Radian works great in the middle.

My vehicle looks like this right now:

2nd row driver - KF
2nd row middle - RF RN
2nd row pass - hb TB

3rd row driver - frontier XT/85
3rd row pass - FF RN

I have also had the 2nd row set up with the Frontier where the TB normally is.

I've also had a MR65 and BV65 where the KF usually is.

Wow, thats a lot of seats in an Explorer! So you basically have the same setup as I do only the FK and turbobooster are switched and there is a Radian in the middle RF? I did like the radian but dds thighs were a little squeezed together because it is so narrow and I dont know just how much time she will get out of it...
So confusing now :confused:
Thank god I have a keyfit because when I tried any of the snugride seats they were hitting the MA just sitting in there and not installed, I thought the KF was going to be great because it didnt touch but then it wasnt installed either, not that it is installed it hits the MA...does that make sense?

canadiangie

Lol, it is a lot of seats. I'm full to capacity, and running low on sanity. :p

I think having a radian in the middle is your best bet. It basically enables me to do a 3 across with ease, and it allows me to tumble the pass (or driver) outboard seat to access the 3rd row kids.

I love having a 33/33/33 split in the 2nd row, and having TA's wherever I need them (5 total), lap/shoulder and head restraints in all positions. My explorer is far from fancy, but my goodness it's seat friendly. I will truly miss it when it's gone.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC