Bummed :(

lovemybabies924

So I bought two fr85 and then found out they need to be tethered from 65 up... Honda stops at 40 *cry*

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

ADS

Dillipop

No vehicle manufacturer "approves" the use of tethers past 40, 48, 60 depending on make, except maybe the vehicles that have no stated limit. However, the tether is good. The theory is that even if the tether fails (which imo is unlikely), it still will do what it is supposed to do- reduce head excursion. I would have no problems using the tethers in a Honda to the full 85 pounds the frontier allows.

lovemybabies924

I'm just worried that hypothetically Dd or ds break a leg or whatever, and I have to pay all medical expenses because I didn't use the seat "correctly"

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

Baylor

That would not happen. Breaking a leg would have nothing to do with the seat being tethered. Tethering is something I do on all my seats no matter what the limit.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would tether it and not give it a second thought.

:yeahthat:

I tether my kids' FF seats over 40. We were in a major crash in a Honda with them tethered over 40. The tethers didn't fail. I'm really glad they were tethered.

Also, one of the kids tethered over 40 broke her leg. One had scratches and bruises and scrapes. There was also a kid in an illegal European seat. Their medical expenses were completely covered (well, the "medical expenses" for the kid in the illegal seat were a "well child visit." Seriously, that's what it says on the ER records! She was unharmed because she was rear-facing...) Anyway, they cover the expenses of kids who are paralyzed because their seats are misused. They're not going to worry about whether or not your seat was allowed to be tethered by your vehicle manufacturer in a crash.

skitle1802

Are you talking about the top tether or LATCH (the lower ones you use instead of the seatbelt)? I didn't know there were limits on top tethers, other than when using a 86Y harness.

Ah, I read the blog, you learn something new everyday!

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Are you talking about the top tether or LATCH (the lower ones you use instead of the seatbelt)? I didn't know there were limits on top tethers, other than when using a 86Y harness.

I'd not advise going over the lower anchor limits, even though I think they're conservative. But top tethers are a different matter. Yes, some manufacturers put a limit on them. Here's a post on it: http://carseatblog.com/9001/tether-...-one-important-area-of-child-occupant-safety/

monstah

I would tether it and not give it a second thought.

Absolutely. We used and top tethered a Frontier85 for my DS until he moved into a booster at 57 pounds. Our top tether "weight limit" was 48 pounds.

If you are able to use long belt path, some believe it helps act as additional TT support. But, even if you can only use short belt path, I would TT and not give it a second thought. :thumbsup:

BudgieStew

If it makes you feel better ALL FF car seats here in Canada are required to be TT and some of our seats go to 65LB harnessed.

And for the most part the body of the cars are the same in U.S/Canada and I'm willing to bet big money that the tether anchors are the same (although if anyone has any thing to add to this please go ahead) so I would have no problem using the TT after 40LB.

ericarizo

It's all good Stacy. They obviously put that limit for a reason. Since we are currently taking a CPST course we need to make sure we are doing it correctly so we do not misinform anyone when they come into a check because then we would be liable.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's all good Stacy. They obviously put that limit for a reason. Since we are currently taking a CPST course we need to make sure we are doing it correctly so we do not misinform anyone when they come into a check because then we would be liable.

Sometimes they don't have a GOOD reason for it. I feel strongly, and most of the other techs on this board do too, that the benefit of using a tether outweighs any "risk" that is involved in using "over the limit." I always mention the limit but then mention the reasons that I would tether anyway were it MY child, and I've never had a parent decline to tether. There's a great perspective on this in the front of the LATCH Manual you should read.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It's far more likely that a child will be injured from NOT tethering than from tethering over the "limit."

But it is important to note that SafeKids' stance is that the weight limit MUST BE FOLLOWED and that to assume 40 lbs if no other information is available.

Most of us here choose not to agree with SafeKids on this issue.

jujumum

But it is important to note that SafeKids' stance is that the weight limit MUST BE FOLLOWED and that to assume 40 lbs if no other information is available.

Most of us here choose not to agree with SafeKids on this issue.

I've been around a while, and this is the first thread I've seen with references to a weight limit on a top tether. I knew about the weight limit on the lower anchors of a typical 40lb limit.

Does your comment refer to Safekids assuming a 40lb max on the top tether, too? I'm pretty sure that MPV manuals are silent on both (top & lower).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I've been around a while, and this is the first thread I've seen with references to a weight limit on a top tether. I knew about the weight limit on the lower anchors of a typical 40lb limit.

Does your comment refer to Safekids assuming a 40lb max on the top tether, too? I'm pretty sure that MPV manuals are silent on both (top & lower).

Yes. Most vehicles have weight limits on the top tethers as well as the lower anchors. There might be a couple with no limit.

SafeKids' stance is that if you don't have access to a LATCH Manual, and if the vehicle manual doesn't state otherwise, you must assume a 40-lb limit.

(To be clear, I am NOT advocating lower anchor use past the weight limits. Just top tethers)

monstah

(To be clear, I am NOT advocating lower anchor use past the weight limits. Just top tethers)

:yeahthat: Never use the lower LATCH anchors past the weight limits. For forward facing, switch to seatbelt and top tether.
(reiterated for lurkers)

jujumum

Yes. Most vehicles have weight limits on the top tethers as well as the lower anchors. There might be a couple with no limit.

SafeKids' stance is that if you don't have access to a LATCH Manual, and if the vehicle manual doesn't state otherwise, you must assume a 40-lb limit.

Oh, I see. I'll need to look at our MPV manual again. I doubt it has a top tether limit. If it is silent, I'm going to continue to use the top tether.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC