We are moving to......................

MsFacetious

Minnesota. :eek:

Yeah, I know that wasn't even on the list. Lol.

It's 95% sure unless something big happens in the next couple of months. We will be about an hour south of Minneapolis.

Anyone in that area???

ADS

MsFacetious

The kids will be thrilled that Frosty is there... lmao... I guess we will have true Christmas'! Should probably look into 4 wheel drive....

Because that's where the job is. :) LOL. Could move without the money... but I thought it might be a nice touch. You know food and all that stuff is nice to have. :)

beeman

Apparently Minnesota gets all our ugly weather a day after we get it. Enjoy :evil grin: he he he.

sixboys

Hey I'm from Minnesota, where are you moving? An hour south means the Rochester area, where I lived for five years before coming to Ohio in 2005. In fact, we're heading back to St. Paul next summer. We've been away from "home" for seven years now, and we're looking forward to going back.

Yes, winters are tough - but they haven't been too bad the last few years - and the summers there are so awesome, it totally makes up for the winter!

As for four wheel drive, not a necessity, but certainly helpful! Just stay away from rear wheel drive trucks, they are not so good in a fresh dumping of snow! :)

Splash

I wish I was still there! I lived in Burnsville for several years while going to college (about half an hour south of the cities) and would LOVE to move back. I miss it so much, but AJ says we're here for good.
What city? Minnesota is... awesome. I loved it, big time.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We lived in Minneapolis for a year after we got married. DH was interning down there. They have the most beautiful fall colours... I've never seen leaves go red on trees before. We really liked living down there.

cmm7

Minnesota is one place I would LOVE to live for a bit. If it ever happens I'll make sure to contact you if I'm in the area!

(but don't count on it happening anytime soon... maybe in about 10 years...)

MsFacetious

We haven't decided for sure on a city yet. I'm still looking around at prices and school stuff. I would absolutely homeschool in Utah, I will not send my kids to the schools here.

I'm still looking into school districts. I'm not opposed to commuting if it means better school districts. But right now the Waseca area is where I've found the best deals on apartments.

Too bad 4wheel isn't required... I was looking forward to taking over BF's Tahoe. Lol. :)

I will let you know when it's for sure, we will have a 100% answer by the end of June at the latest. :)

Splash

I taught in MN (where I taught first) and then moved to FL and was horrified by the schools down here (which I shouldn't have been, since I grew up here!). The schools in MN really are wonderful. I would not hesitate for a moment sending my kid there is my only concern was the quality of the education he'd receive. And they still do (or did when I left, six years ago) half day kindergarten, which I think should be the law everywhere...

MN is very expensive, though. At least in the cities it was. Good luck finding a place!
And 4 wheel drive won't do anything for you. I hated all the idiots who would speed on by with all the ice on the roads, thinking that 4WD was going to protect them. It doesn't matter how many wheels you have power going to, if none of them can grip the road!

MsFacetious

My concern about the schools is only because I have kids with special needs. :)

Alot of schools automatically put kids with special needs in special ed for all of their classes. Or include them for all of their classes. I want my kids to be included in the classes they are at level in, but I want them to have the extra help in the classes they are not.

Here, that isn't doable. So I wouldn't send them. So that's my concern, whether I could say have them in regular classes for everything but Math, if Math was where they struggled. Make sense?

Splash

Hmmm.... I am pretty sure they would be mainstreamed. Definitely Sadi would be, and I assume Ali would be as well. I know the one high school that I briefly worked at had all the high functioning kids mainstreamed, and others in separate classes. But the "others" I am talking about were extremely disabled... unable to speak, in diapers, mentality of 5 year olds. I worked that class for a bit and was astounded by the fact that they were even IN a regular public school. Though it was mostly a physical therapy and day care class, there was some educating. But really, they were the profoundly retarded (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I just can't think of a better way to say it) and could not by any means have been mainstreamed. But I know that there were many kids mainstreamed, and though I never had a child with Downs in my class, I am almost positive that there was one child in the elementary school I was in that was in a standard class. I think she had ESE classes for a few things (but mostly for therapies... speech and occupational, and maybe for reading) but for the most part she was in the regular classes. This all runs together for me, I am trying to pinpoint this exact child in this exact school, to determine what her educational experience actually was, and I don't think I'm doing too good a job nailing down the details. But at SOME school that I was in in MN, I know for a fact that there was a child with DS mainstreamed into standard classes except for a few classes. There, that's all my tired old brain can remember.

If you want them mainstreamed, I don't see why they wouldn't be. I know Sadi would be, and pretty sure Ali would be as well.

MsFacetious

Don't worry, I'm not offended by terms when they are used clinically. Only when they are used as an insult. :) I feel a little better knowing that you know some kids have been mainstreamed... I'm looking into it further at the moment to see what I can find out.

Thank you. :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My concern about the schools is only because I have kids with special needs. :)

Alot of schools automatically put kids with special needs in special ed for all of their classes. Or include them for all of their classes. I want my kids to be included in the classes they are at level in, but I want them to have the extra help in the classes they are not.

LEGALLY, that is what every state/jurisdiction has to do. However, as I am sure you already know, a lot of schools do not do that. :thumbsdown:

LEGALLY, a student should be included in as many classes as possible (least restrictive environment), but should receive APPROPRIATE services INDIVIDUALLY chosen by the entire IEP team. I hope that happens for you!! :) :)

MsFacetious

Yeah, just not in the mood to do battle over it. :) If I have to I will but it gets ugly. Since I will be starting over anyways, a battle with schools is not something I am wanting to start with, unless it's what is best. At this point homeschooling may be best given all the changes, and to have a more flexible schedule for visiting family. We will see I guess. :)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I'll be visiting Minneapolis in August! Guessing you won't be there yet though! Good luck :)

sixboys

OOOOHH Waseca is gorgeous! It is a beautiful little town! I don't know anything about the schools there, but Splash is right when she says Minnesota has a pretty good public education system.

And regarding four wheel drive, I do think it is helpful to have in Minnesota - but not necessary. Four wheel drive can be great for when you are driving on heavy snow. Especially driving down the city streets that have not yet been plowed, or trying to turn off a cleared street and onto a snowed in street that has a three foot high snow wall leftover from when the plow went by.

If any of your vehicles is a rear wheel drive, or a low clearance car, you may want to consider selling/trading those in before heading the the Land of Lakes! But, you can get around just fine in a nice front wheel drive vehicle as well - you just may get stuck a little easier in a heavy snowfall.

lynsgirl

I miss MN! :crying: Dh and I grew up there (but in the northern part ;) and I :love: it there. The military has kept us on the East Coast for almost 10 years, with only visits home, so I haven't lived there since then, but obviously been back quite a bit. Cost of living varies with the area you're in, which I think is similar to any state. The Twin Cities area and surrounding suburbs are more expensive than the area where dh and I are from, but I don't know much about the COL in other parts of the state. Regardless, it's beautiful there and not nearly as scary as everyone jokes about :D .

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC