Graco now allows center LATCH

crunchierthanthou

When the vehicle allows, of course. Apparently it's for all seats, and retroactive. :dizzy:

I just saw this on the carseatlady.

http://thecarseatlady.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/gracocenterlatch/

GRACO’s POLICY ON THE USE OF THE LOWER ANCHORS TO SECURE A GRACO SEAT IN THE CENTER OF THE VEHICLE

Graco is now allowing all child restraints to be installed using non-standard LATCH spacing in the center position based on the following criteria:

- Distance between the two inboard LATCH anchors must be 11” or greater.

- The vehicle owner’s manual must permit the use of LATCH in the center seating position.

- A tight installation can be achieved per the child restraint instruction manual.

- There must not be any contact or obstructions that could damage the CRS straps and/or the vehicle safety belts.

This direction is retroactive to all Graco child restraints that may be installed using LATCH.

LATCH lower vehicle anchor points are defined as 11 inches from the center of one LATCH anchor to the center of another LATCH anchor.

If allowed by your Vehicle Owner’s Manual, the center seating position may be used if the anchor spacing is 11” or greater.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Has anyone seen it anywhere else? Maybe a press release? It's not that I don't believe the source (or I wouldn't have shared it in the first place), but I'm hoping to see it more than one place. ;) I poked around the gracobaby site, but didn't see anything.

mommycat

Interesting. That along with the overhang allowance for MR and Nauti and the MR feet not needing to touch down for FF installs would make Graco seats a lot more userfriendly!

christineka

At my first car seat check I checked a seat for a new dad. He had read both the vehicle and the snugride manuals. According to him, he was allowed to use center latch if the anchors were a certain distant apart. He got out his ruler, measure, and found his were not the right distance, so he chose a side install. I didn't read the manual because it was irrelevant since he wanted the seat on the side. If this guy read his manual correct, then graco has allowed center latch for at least a few months now. (The check was in March. I don't remember the dom of the seat, but it was brand new.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC