Question Driving for a Field trip

Lilsid

DD's first grade class is going on a last minute field trip. Her teacher asked parents to drive. I signed up so I can drive DD. I have an Odyssey so I have 4 extra seats for kids. DD's class is first, second, and third graders. DD goes to a Montessori school so its small and they can do these fun last minute trips.

Ok so DD rides in a Monterey and I am leaving it in my van for her. I want to bring my other 4 boosters for the other kids is this a good or bad idea? I feel that the kids in my van should ride with my rules and be in a seat. Yes they are all small enough to to ride in a booster. I have not asked the teacher if this is ok or not. DH said we should have all kids riding in our van properly restrained. My mother thinks I am a crack pot and I should just toss all the kids in the back with the third seat down and let them have some room on the floor. I am still picking my jaw up off the ground. I will deal with her later.

So bring boosters for all kids or not. I just don't know if my van can drive with kids just sitting in seat belts ;) It will kill me, but School sent a note home and it read to treat the parents vehicles like a school bus. :confused:

Does this make sense I am just a bit too involved in this to make a complete thought.

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Your DH is smart. :) I'd bring the boosters.

Also, it's probably not legal to treat your vehicle like a school bus. :rolleyes:

mommycat

Same here. In fact I cannot fathom how a parent could send their child in a vehicle without their OWN seat, but I know it happens, and if the parents do so then the kids are lucky you happen to have enough boosters to go around. What is the law there? Here, if I did that I would be liable for not ensuring everyone is properly restrained, which besides the safety aspect would mean $167.50 and 2 points off my licence. (I wonder if that would be counted per seat?)

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Bring the boosters. I did for a Cub Scout trip once. I took kids from age 8-10 and made them ALL sit in boosters. 2 of them said they had NEVER sat in one but they all fit well and seemed to like them (no one even questioned me).

Lilsid

Thank you all for reassuring me I should bring a van full of boosters. I thought I was doing the right thing now I know I am. I am bringing the boosters and the kids I have will ride in them. I will feel so much better about their safety.

christineka

Bring the boosters. I did for a Cub Scout trip once. I took kids from age 8-10 and made them ALL sit in boosters. 2 of them said they had NEVER sat in one but they all fit well and seemed to like them (no one even questioned me).

Good to know. We have an activity day trip planned. I've been stressing about transporting the girls.

Lilsid

I took a van full of boosters for the trip. Here is a pict the night before we left. I did not want to take a pic of all the kids and get in trouble with other parents.

074.jpg

077.jpg

Lilsid

Everyone happily jumped in and buckled up. Not one kid even thought twice it was great. I told the teacher before hand so she sent my DD and all the littlest kids with me.

Kat_Momof3

YAY!! what about the parents?? any of them say anything? or try to give you a seat (like a sensible one would have)

CarSeatSafetyMom

CPST Instructor
Lilsid,

You did the right thing. I am right there on this with you. If they ride with me, my rules! IF they don't pass a 5-Step test, then into a Booster.

One time, in another parent's car, we had to transport someone smaller than my son (who was in a booster). My DS could pass the 5-Step in the 3rd Row center of her car, so I gave his booster to the smaller child (who didn't pass the 5-step). Of course, I got the..."I don't use a Booster in my mom's car." But, the school/teacher was on my side and the mom wasn't there; so, in the seat he went.

Keep up the Great Job on Safety for everyone. :D

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Did you manage to get 3 across with boosters in the 3rd row? I have an Odyssey and am really struggling to find the right combination. I've moved on to using the jump seat but am not comfortable with how a booster fits in the jump seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC