saw my worst car seat install ever..

Baylor

Made me wan to cry..

Graco Bucket, turned forward with 3 yr old child in it, Not actually strapped in, Just sitting on it..

Then I looked to see if it was attached to the seat anywhere.. Nope.. He put the outboard seat belt through the handle and buckled it in.

I tried to tell him, He kept saying, " I know I know..."

I was just heart broken..

ADS

VoodooChile

I've seen that! Driving through the parking lot at work, a kid probably 4 or so, just sitting in an infant bucket. Part of me wondered if I'd hallucinated it or something b/c it just seemed so weird, like--who would do that??

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I've seen that too. I had a girl in one of my classes tell me that her son (turned 2 in December) rides without a carseat for quick drives. :eek: :(

christineka

On Sunday I saw a 7 year old boy sitting in the front seat while driving with his dad. That in and in itself isn't unusual, but mom is into car seats. There's a harnessed frontier in the rear-center seat for him to ride in. I don't understand people sometimes.

As for crazy installs, I'm starting to see them more often now that I get to work car seat checks.

Lenae

I saw an ETA fully reclined forward facing with the lap belt routed across the front of the base and the shoulder belt just sort of hanging across the front of the seat. I was surpised they used anything at all. Most people around here take their kids out of carseats once they can sit on their own (and therefore don't need the baby bucket to keep them contained without holding them). I have seen one MA that looked like it had a good install, but it was FF with the straps on the lowest slot, so whoever was in that seat wasn't very big.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
On Sunday I saw a 7 year old boy sitting in the front seat while driving with his dad. That in and in itself isn't unusual, but mom is into car seats. There's a harnessed frontier in the rear-center seat for him to ride in. I don't understand people sometimes.

One of the saddest statistics, to me, that I've read, is that over the years of SafetyBeltSafe running California's car seat violator alternative to ticket class, most of the people there were there not because they had no car seat, but because they had one, often in the car, and it was not being used. It's a head-scratcher until you realize that most people just don't get why it is important. In this case, sounds like mom has not got through to dad the message of WHY he needs to ALWAYS be in his car seat. :(

Um, I saw a state constable (or someone impersonating a constable in a constable car) with her 5 or 6 year old in the front seat, no seatbelt. Way to set an example!

Baylor

Can someone please expain my options when I see something like this? AS a concerned parent.. Is there anything really for me to do?

mommycat

Not a whole lot if they don't want to hear it, aside from calling 911 and reporting them. The sad part is the child would probably have been safer with a horribly fitting adult belt than sitting in an unrestrained FF bucket. :(

hrice

Not a whole lot if they don't want to hear it, aside from calling 911 and reporting them. The sad part is the child would probably have been safer with a horribly fitting adult belt than sitting in an unrestrained FF bucket. :(

:yeahthatsad:

Baylor

Are there any reporting services? I would love to see some of the tax dollars going to a seat belt safety line where the first step is someone that goes and helps install a proper seat.. second report would be a ticket third involves dcf.

I don't understand why this is one area that seems to have no enforcement.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Baylor said:
Are there any reporting services? I would love to see some of the tax dollars going to a seat belt safety line where the first step is someone that goes and helps install a proper seat.. second report would be a ticket third involves dcf.

I don't understand why this is one area that seems to have no enforcement.

Depends on the area.

Some places do have hotlines for reporting misuse, but it usually involves sending a packet of info to the house of whoever the car is registered to. They can't issue tickets without proof.

Calling the police can work depending on the situation and how seriously local law enforcement (or each individual cop) takes the situation.

Then you need to decide what warrants a 911 call, what warrants a non-emergency call, and what you let go.

Mysweethoneybee

Here in southwest Missouri I have seen little kids riding in police officers personal vehicles completely unrestrained. As in laying across the top of the back seats sort of thing. So I pretty much just hope that the kids in bad or no seats are really lucky kids. I have said things for facebook pictures, but not much comes of it. Other than expired seats which I see every day the worst car seat usage I saw was a girl about 4 or 5 years old. She was sitting in the front seat on a Cosco Scenera but the seat belt was across her like a booster seat. I looked again after the little girl got out because I thought maybe it was some highback booster I hadn't seen before but it was definitely the Scenera.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC