What is supposed to happen during a car seat check?

Brianna

I went to one yesterday as part of a mini-carnival/ open house of the day care/ child fingerprinting/ id, etc. and I wasn't overly impressed. It was raining and there was nowhere to park out of the rain, so I'd like to give the police officers the benefit of the doubt, but they really didn't do much.

They had me fill out a form with my vehicle info and the kid's info, then they took down the model & serial numbers off the two car seats I brought with me. I had the Tribute RF in the center and the officer just checked for tightness. He unbuckled it, complimented me on my use of a tightly rolled towel, then put it back in himself. They left the MR alone, and didn't say anything else. IIRC, I should have been the last one to touch the seat. They didn't even check if J fit in the seat or if the harness was in the right slot

So I guess I'm asking if that is typical of a car seat check by the state police, or if there's more that should have happened?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't know if that's typical of THEM, but it's certainly not how it's supposed to be.

They should uninstall the seat completely, inspect it, make sure the harness is in the correct place, have YOU install it, make sure you have the straps/chest clip right, discuss next steps, etc.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Of course this changes somewhat due to circumstances, but my general formula is:

1: Introduce myself, give thanks for coming

2: paperwork, check off how seat and child came in. Compliment anything parent has done correctly. Mention concern over inappropriate seat choice or direction

3: Talk about airbags

4: point out tether and LATCH locations, check LATCH manual for specific details

5: Check vehicle manual for specific details

6: locate car seat manual, refer to as needed, make sure parent is aware of storage location

7: Remove seat from car, sympathize with parent over the amazing osmosis properties of Cheerios, offer Lysol wipes and discreetly turn my back as I check for missing or broken parts and recalls

8: discuss recalls, missing parts, adjust harness( showing parent how), go into more detail over direction

9: Reinstall seat

10: Have parent recreate install

11: Have parent buckle kiddo up, make corrections (if baby not born, use doll and go over all adjustments that they should expect to need as baby grows)

12: talk about when seat will be outgrown and what next step will be

13: warn against projectiles

14: Thank parents for coming, give them summary of seat limits and notes on check appointment (IE: tether anchor part number)

Brianna

Well I guess none of that made a huge difference for me because I had everything right according to what they did check, but it makes me wonder what important parts they missed with others who attended their check that haven't been on this forum.

Kobain's Mommy

The last one I went to was really quick, but the lady doing it knew I knew what I was doing (took her caregivers seat class). I mainly just needed pool noodles and the one CPST wanted to see DS.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC