Which seat and which direction?

zactayaus

DH and I are leaving in 2 weeks to go to Missouri for a few days to see DS1 graduate from basic training.:D My mother will be here with the kids and has no plans on driving any where with them unless it's an emergency. I told her I'd install a seat for DS3 any way just in case. DS3 can be quite the handful these days and can have super human strength when he wants to be defiant (gotta love the terrible twos:rolleyes:). He's also on the big side weighing in at 30.5lbs and 36" at just turned 2yo (see how he fits in the MA in my siggy:eek:). So I want to do what would be easiest for everyone. I have an MR and a RA55 that I'm deciding between and I'm debating on putting it in the vehicle (an 04 chevy suburban) FFing. He's never been FFing a day in his life but I'm wondering if it would be easier for the grandparents if they did need to drive him somewhere.

So which seat and which direction would you choose?

Comments and input appreciated.

Thanks.:)

ADS

Jillybeans5

I think I would keep it RF. I'm not sure which seat though, whichever one is easier to get him into I guess. The reason I would choose RFing other than all of the obvious reasons we prefer RFing is that kids have a tendency to behave differently for others than they do for their parents. My kids and other kids I have watched tend not to fight others on the things that they fight their parents over. So odds are, if she does need to transport him he will probably cooperate way better for her than he typically does for mom & dad.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If he always rides RF'ing, I'd install it RF'ing also. And I would put in whatever seat is easiest for your mom to use in HER car. Which seat has better access to the adjustor? Which tightens more easily? And I would leave the harness very loose, so it's easy to get him in. (I am assuming she knows she has to tighten.)

ETA: And don't be afraid to leave your mom an 'ace in the hole'. For my ds, that was 'fruit' snacks/gummies. The ones in the little packets, with character on them, ya know? When ds was little and my mom had him she always had a packet or two of those in her purse or pocket. Instant cooperation! So if there is something ds doesn't get often but loves and is easy to carry, be sure to leave your mom some!

zactayaus

If he always rides RF'ing, I'd install it RF'ing also. And I would put in whatever seat is easiest for your mom to use in HER car. Which seat has better access to the adjustor? Which tightens more easily? And I would leave the harness very loose, so it's easy to get him in. (I am assuming she knows she has to tighten.)

ETA: And don't be afraid to leave your mom an 'ace in the hole'. For my ds, that was 'fruit' snacks/gummies. The ones in the little packets, with character on them, ya know? When ds was little and my mom had him she always had a packet or two of those in her purse or pocket. Instant cooperation! So if there is something ds doesn't get often but loves and is easy to carry, be sure to leave your mom some!

Thank you for your advice on the Fruit Snacks. LOL. DS loves them but only gets to have a pack about once a month and when he sees them that's all he can think about.:p Very, very good advice.

As for the seat I'm leaning toward the MR. He is so squished RF in the RA55 it's hard to buckle him. I just hope the buckle on the MR doesn't stick. I haven't had it happen in this particular seat but it was a common occurrence in our GN and they are the same type of buckle. If I had decided to FF him I would have probably gone with the RA55 just for the buckle reason.

cpsaddict

I was going to say leave the RA55 rf. DD is in a MA70 rf and super comfy. It's way easier for me to get her in, too. I put her on the back seat and while she gets in her seat, I go around to buckle her(she's outboard because my preggo belly does not cooperate with her center). Plus, the harness on the RA55/MA70 is so smooth and easy to adjust.

Oh, I have a big kid, too! At her 2yr, she was 36.5" and 32lbs. Yikes. I think her legs are finally catching up to her torso, thank goodness.

zactayaus

I was going to say leave the RA55 rf. DD is in a MA70 rf and super comfy. It's way easier for me to get her in, too. I put her on the back seat and while she gets in her seat, I go around to buckle her(she's outboard because my preggo belly does not cooperate with her center). Plus, the harness on the RA55/MA70 is so smooth and easy to adjust.

Oh, I have a big kid, too! At her 2yr, she was 36.5" and 32lbs. Yikes. I think her legs are finally catching up to her torso, thank goodness.

Just when I thought I had my mind made up!;):p

Kat_Momof3

it's easier to wrestle a defiant child in rearfacing than forward facing... because deadweight just slides down to the floor when the seat is facing front.

plus, he's still little and familiarity is a good thing... so give him what's familiar... a rearfacing seat.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Thank you for your advice on the Fruit Snacks. LOL. DS loves them but only gets to have a pack about once a month and when he sees them that's all he can think about.:p Very, very good advice.

Good, glad to have helped! :D

Dillipop

it's easier to wrestle a defiant child in rearfacing than forward facing... because deadweight just slides down to the floor when the seat is facing front.

plus, he's still little and familiarity is a good thing... so give him what's familiar... a rearfacing seat.

This. When rearfacing, I find it much easier to hold a child down to get them strapped in when being defiant. I have little to no luck holding a ffing child down, as they tend to slide right out of the seat.

Put whichever seat fits best in your mom's car. Make sure the adjuster is easy to reach and you'll be good to go.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC