Grandmas car

Jessica61624

I'm very torn on this. My mom lives 2.5 hours away. Recently her van broke down. She's driving a 93ish Chevy truck. It's got two sideways seats in the back. I know those are not safe. It doesn't have air bags. But the belt has two separate retracters so a car seat cannot be installed. The only option I see is a hbb. The issue is my dd will be 4 next month and is only 37 lbs. Would you allow her to use a hbb in that situation? I believe she's mature enough.

ADS

Brianna

At less than 40 pounds I wouldn't put him in a booster. The high back will put him that much closer to the airbag. I don't know much about the RSTV, but if you search for threads on it you should find some good info.

Jessica61624

briheartzu said:
At less than 40 pounds I wouldn't put him in a booster. The high back will put him that much closer to the airbag. I don't know much about the RSTV, but if you search for threads on it you should find some good info.

There is no air bag.

littleangelfire

It is shoulder belts, right? If so, you don't have to have a tether anchor installed. It would be a good idea, but it's not a requirement when using the RSTV with a shoulder belt.

Here's their website: http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/
Here's a pic of my son in his:

4687201808_365d18a729.jpg

And yes, it would be preferable to a booster at this point.

Jessica61624

littleangelfire said:
It is shoulder belts, right? If so, you don't have to have a tether anchor installed. It would be a good idea, but it's not a requirement when using the RSTV with a shoulder belt.

Here's their website: http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/
Here's a pic of my son in his:

And yes, it would be preferable to a booster at this point.

Yes its solder and lap. I'll get on the computer and look at their site. I has no idea about them.

andre149

I would definitely go with a RSTV, I wouldn't be comfortable boostering a kiddo that small and also I wouldn't be comfortable with anyone but myself booster training my kiddo without me there.

Dillipop

Are you sure that you can not lock the seatbelt for a carseat? My IL's had an early 90's Buick with the seatbelt that had 2 separate retractors. But the lap belt was able to be pulled out all the way to lock it- so when you slowly put it back in, it clicked and locked. It was perfectly suitable for a carseat and even had instructions on the lap portion to use it that way. If that is possible, I'd put a seat in. If not, then definitely the RSTV.

mamakc

Why does your DD need to go in Grandma's car? Is it possible to switch cars during the visit?

Jessica61624

Dillipop said:
Are you sure that you can not lock the seatbelt for a carseat? My IL's had an early 90's Buick with the seatbelt that had 2 separate retractors. But the lap belt was able to be pulled out all the way to lock it- so when you slowly put it back in, it clicked and locked. It was perfectly suitable for a carseat and even had instructions on the lap portion to use it that way. If that is possible, I'd put a seat in. If not, then definitely the RSTV.

In the manual for our seat it says not to use seatbelts with two retractors.

Dillipop

I believe that is if neither of the belts lock for child seats, meaning there is no way to lock the belt as you couldn't use a locking clip on it or a belt lockoff. If the lap belt locks, it is just like installing with a lap belt.

mommyfrog

My MIL has a truck like that and you can not install a car seat in the front without a belt shortening clip. You would need to get together with a tech to learn how to use one of those and I'm not sure where you get one either. I just refuse to let my kids ride in her truck. I'm mean like that!!

Pixels

Jessica61624 said:

Some manuals simplify things and just say no belts with two retractors. A seat can be safely installed if the lap portion locks, or by using a belt shortening clip on the lap portion if it does not lock. The manufacturer doesn't want to get into all the different possibilities so they simply ban them all. What's important is that the lap portion of the belt is locked and holding the car seat tight. It does technically contradict the manual, so I understand if you are not comfortable with it. You may be able to get an okay from the manufacturer if you call them.

Jessica61624

Pixels said:
Some manuals simplify things and just say no belts with two retractors. A seat can be safely installed if the lap portion locks, or by using a belt shortening clip on the lap portion if it does not lock. The manufacturer doesn't want to get into all the different possibilities so they simply ban them all. What's important is that the lap portion of the belt is locked and holding the car seat tight. It does technically contradict the manual, so I understand if you are not comfortable with it. You may be able to get an okay from the manufacturer if you call them.

If the lap portion locks I am ok with it. I just thought it was not ok since the manual said. I trust the techs on this board. I'm glad I asked because it may be possible to install her seat then. If it matters its a frontier 85.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC