Who has re-harnessed their kiddos?

njkj

Were they happy, mad or did they even care?

I just ordered a FN85 for Ds (5y11m) b/c he has been fall asleep in the car a lot lately and I am still kind of iffy about him in a booster and am constantly looking back making sure he is sitting right. He was all for it until after I hit the buy button LOL. He said he was afraid the crotch buckle would hurt his parts :rolleyes:. So I showed him the belly pad and he is ok now. I guess I just need some reinsurance I am not the only one re-harnessing LOL

ADS

Keeanh

I re-harnessed my 6yo when he was 6y3m because of the way he slept in the car, and because he would occasionally turn around and slip his shoulder out of the belt to yell at someone in the back seat or look at something we had passed, or whatever. He sometimes calls the Frontier a "baby seat", but at 6 he understands that he could die or be seriously hurt in a crash, so he doesn't really mind. He gets frustrated that he usually needs help buckling, but he can't buckle his booster in my van anyways (always beside another seat), so I don't know what the big deal is there :rolleyes:.

ETA: The only time the crotch buckle hurt his "parts" was when he forgot to take his cup off after hockey. :ROTFLMAO:

christineka

My ds moved to a booster at 4.5 years because he was 40 pounds. He went back to a harness when he was almost 5. Then he went back and forth between boosters and harnessed seats through the years. He's now 8 and back in a harness. He did complain about the radian when he had the short strap, but he's been fine with the long strap and every other seat I've put him in.

stephie1012

DD has been going back and forth without any issues. She likes both for different reasons. Last week i forgot her booster in DHs truck so she had to ride in her old regent that DS uses now. She was mad at first then go so excited then she can move all around, it was hilarious.

smileybrea

CPS Technician
DS had gone into a booster at 4yrs before I knew better. I put him back in a harness just after he turned 5. I was concerned about his reaction but I let him pick out his seat cover and told him he would be so cool in the car because his new seat would be like a race car driver. After the seat arrived, he asked why he had to be in that kind of seat so I pulled up crash test videos for him to watch and he never asked again. He knew he was safe and that was all that mattered. We tried boostering again when he was about 6.5 but went back to harness. He's 7.5 now and doing amazing in his booster :D

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My 7 year old is currently back in a harness for now-- by her choice. She was primarily in a booster, but after our crash she worries about falling asleep and out of position in a booster (even though I don't usually let her be in a booster when there's potential to fall asleep, since she's not a good booster sleeper yet.) She says that the tightness of the harness "feels safer" to her, and she doesn't "get so worried about not being safe" when she's in one. So even though I believe they are equally safe, I let her be harnessed right now. We are also planning to re-rear face her soon because she still freaks out every time we go in the car, and after talking about it she told me she wishes she could be rear-facing like her little sister "because it's so much safer." In this case, she's been through a lot, and I'm willing to do a lot to help her feel safe right now.

DanaherMama

I put my oldest daughter back in a harnessed FR85 at 4.5yrs after being in a HB TB since she was 3 years old.... Don't get me started, I was that young highly uninformed mom who saw that her child "fit" in the booster and thought it would be "easier for field trips in preschool" because there was not 1 single child in her class that was harnessed...(there is an EXTREME lack of knowledge in car-seat safety in my area :rollseyes: ... So glad that I found this site a couple years ago so that my oldest dd is harnessed and my youngest dd rf'd to passed her 2nd birthday (boy did I get some funny looks around here) and my son will rf to the extent of his boulevard 70!! THANK YOU CAR-SEAT.ORG!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I knee-jerk reaction reharnessed *everybody* when I first found the board, about two years ago. Kids were aged 4-7 at the time. I don't recall too much complaining, other than from my "sassy" kid who will complain about anything, just to argue. (He told me the other day that he could out-stubborn the laws of physics. :cool:) They had all been boostered since age 3 or so...

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
My 6.5 year old goes back and forth between a harness and booster. He usually doesn't care where he sits, unless he has a friend in the car with us he'll usually choose the booster. I just got a ProSport (harnessed) for him, and he LOVES that he's now in a 'race car' seat since he knows what Recaro is.

lovemybabies924

My oldest is going to be re-harnessed as soon as his fr85 shows up because he has trouble staying in position

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

jennzee

I have. About 8ish months after moving Ryan to a booster full-time, I started getting worried about the head-slump he was experiencing in the Nautilus. He was also struggling to sit properly all of the time. We were getting ready to take a long vacation, so with those two factors in mind, we bought FR85 and when it came, I installed it in harness mode (mainly because we would be doing 3 across for the long drive and I wanted him harnessed for that, so making it a booster temporarily didn't make sense)....he never even questioned me. I still haven't switched it back and he's perfectly content. I still don't think he's 100% mature enough to booster full-time, so I'm happy to let him ride boostered in dad's car and harnessed in mine for the time being (he's a couple of months shy of 7).

ElfJewel

I had my DD2 in a booster at 3 (before I knew better)- I thought if her sister had to be in one she should be too :eek: She went back in a harness at 6 when I realized how unsafe she was (she's very wiggly) and she hasn't complained. We are talking now about getting ready to booster her again when she outgrows her Nautilus, but she understands now and we are practicing in her sister's booster. DD3 has a booster for grandparents cars and doesn't complain about going back and forth, even when she was RF in my car. I think as long as you act like its normal kids don't care ("This is your new seat so you'll be safer"). I have also reharnessed kids that I babysit and none of them cares.

andre149

My nephew rode harnessed with me last summer because he wouldn't stay in position well enough in a booster... he was happy. He liked that the seat was "cushier" and he was still able to do the harness up by himself. It was in a MA, he had just turned 6 and had about an inch left to grow in the harness (he's a tiny guy lol). He had no complaints about it at all and liked it better in fact.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

We reharnessed DD2 because she wouldn't sit properly in her booster. We got her a Frontier 85 a few months ago. She is currently 5 yrs 10 months.

Kat_Momof3

Damian was about 5... he had a mild scoliosis which made him fall asleep upright, but end up with his head in his lap in boosters... So when tax time came and the sale went, I was going to buy him a Britax Husky... but my grandma surprised me with a Regent (still bought the Husky, but for Jeffrey)... he outgrew it 9mo later, when he was 6.5yrs old, but there you are... he had a HUGE growth spurt, almost all of it torso height)

Jeffrey was 4.. he hadn't been in a booster long and I just found out about the seats that lasted longer. Well, after I got a Scenera for Ruthie to use as a spare seat, I realized I could put him in her Marathon... so that's what I did (at 13mo, she was already nearing the top of the shell on the Evenflo Triumph 40lb limit, so it's not like I could use the seat we'd had prior to the Marathon, which I bought with the money I got from relatives for christmas)

I would have left him in it until he outgrew it, but as I said, then I got a Regent AND a Husky, when I thought I would only get one.

Anyway, he was happy to ride in a harnessed seat... until his brother got a booster and he wanted one, too... I compromised and let him make the move at 6yrs old, 50lbs, and over 50", so I wasn't disappointed... and he probably would have stayed harnessed longer if I'd insisted, but he was more than able to ride in one maturity-wise.

Damian had gotten bruising on his back before being harnessed, no matter how padded the booster was... but in the Regent (or in the marathon... he was AT the top slots and Jeffrey was younger, but if I had just him and Ruthie, I let him use it), he was much more comfortable. Fortunately, his spine stopped curving in that 9months... and then he was able to sleep bolt upright in about any booster... which was also good because he kept growing that fast and outgrew the Old style Parkway (the tallest booster on the market at the time) at 7yrs old... hit 4'9" by 8yrs... and is now a whopping 5'6".

Ironically (and this is my point, I guess) Damian misses being harnessed... if I show him a pic of when he was in the Regent, he'll say how he loved that seat, because it was so snug and he didn't have to think about sitting still or worry about falling asleep or anything.

What Jeffrey misses (probably because he was in a booster so little early on and then was harnessed for so long that he was really ready for the booster move moreso than his brother) is a highback booster. he still thinks that vehicle seats should come with "pillows" (headwings) for sleeping. He CAN sleep bolt upright (has been able to since he could sit unassisted), but he prefers some headwings for support.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC