Add us to the two Radian cover club!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I had emailed Russ about the short harness straps and a couple of other things about my Radian. Sure enough, they are officially too short. Oh, the SafeStop, that's what I had emailed about.

Well, he's sending us an entirely new seat with the harness channel and everything!!!! It'll be at my house in a week (I'll be there in two weeks).

Wow.

Wendy

ADS

broken4u05

That is great you are getting a new seat. That is really cool of Russ.

O and what is russ's email? My seat did not come with a safestop and i wanted to email him.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
That is great you are getting a new seat. That is really cool of Russ.

O and what is russ's email? My seat did not come with a safestop and i wanted to email him.

SORRY!!!!:( I totally forgot to PM you this info when I got back. I brought my sister home with me for a visit (she just flew home this am) and I totally forgot. Forgive me?:eek:

broken4u05

yeah i forgive you. It is no big deal i forgot about it too till Wendy's post. Did you have a good visit?
And thank you Jacqui i will email him in the morning.
So Wendy what covers will you have now?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
So Wendy what covers will you have now?

I have no idea what's coming. Beggars can't be choosers and all that. Right now we have Dessert, the ugly brown (Piper's choice). So anything that comes will be an improvement. :)

Just thinking of what I can do with two. We actually signed Piper up for school two days ago (we were going to homeschool) so there will be use for it in a three across for field trips, I'm sure. Maybe I can let my neighbor use one so her 43 pound 16" torso kid can get out of the EB 3 in 1 she's using with the harness. Just think of the possibilities!

I am so stupidly excited. LOL This'll make two Radians, two Wizards, and a Parkway just for one kid. My stash of seats had seemed so pathetic. And two cosco high rise boosters as spares. Which will get more use in field trips too, I'm sure. Since Piper is going to school now (a Montessori school from 6 months to 14 years) I'm very tempted to do a car safety class once a semester or something.

Wendy

broken4u05

I love Montessori schools.I have never seen how they work from K and up (i would love to though) but i love it for younger children. Sounds like a good idea. So you don't have to send back the old seat? That is great.

ETA. I just emailed Russ. Lets see what will happen with my seat. I emailed him about the safestop and how hard it is to tighten the harness

Last edited:

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I've just joined this club again too. My new Radian should be here early next week. He told me to expect a granite cover, so that's likely what you'll get too.

broken4u05

I've just joined this club again too. My new Radian should be here early next week. He told me to expect a granite cover, so that's likely what you'll get too.

What was wrong with your radain? I am hoping they send me a new one but not sure they will

I am having the opposite problem-- my 5 yr. old dd's Radian harness straps are too long, with the SafeStop being used. I can't tighten it quite tightly enough against her torso; there's always just a bit too much slack no matter how much I tighten it, although I'm not sure it's enough to consider it "unsafe". If I were to put my slender 3 yr. old dd in this seat, though, she could climb out of the harness! :eek: I've emailed Russ about it; maybe he will have some ideas for me.

broken4u05

i emailed russ and he emailed me back for the cerial number and said he would try to help me out. He was also seemed very nice he said that my email was not common and asked how i came up with it same name at my user name. So now i am waiting for another email

supercrunch

I am having the opposite problem-- my 5 yr. old dd's Radian harness straps are too long, with the SafeStop being used. I can't tighten it quite tightly enough against her torso; there's always just a bit too much slack no matter how much I tighten it, although I'm not sure it's enough to consider it "unsafe". If I were to put my slender 3 yr. old dd in this seat, though, she could climb out of the harness! :eek: I've emailed Russ about it; maybe he will have some ideas for me.

Let me know what you hear back. I just moved my 3yo ds into a Radian, and I am also having trouble getting the harness snug on him. I could fit my whole hand in there yesterday and I couldn't get it any tighter. (we are using the safe stop, as he is only 30 lbs)

I took him out of the seat and finally did get it a little tighter by adjusting it without him in it...but it still wasn't as tight as it should be.

broken4u05

Wow there are many problems with the radian. It is a new seat though. I hope they work out some of the problems soon

Starlight

Senior Community Member
mine is a short strap... with ds1 in it, abt 45 lbs, barely in the top slots, I have about an inch of strap left hanging out of the adjustor.

I've been emailing with Russ about my difficult-to-tighten harness problem, and in the process I've figured out what the problem is--

The indentation, or groove, that runs under the seat for the harness to rest in, is compressed against the vehicle seat cushion when the seat is installed. My seats are fabric upholstered, and while not squooshy, are not the firmest either.

Here is how I explained it to him:

After taking the seat out several times, adjusting the harness in several different height slots, and reinstalling it to see how both girls fit, I think I can see what the problem is. On the underside of the seat is the shallow groove/indentation for the harness path, leading up to the front of the seat to the recline bar mechanism and the harness adjuster slot/path. When the seat is installed correctly with a rock-solid installation (again, I am using the LATCH and top tether), the bottom of the Radian compresses fairly deeply into my vehicle's fabric upholstery. The thin harness webbing moves fairly easily underneath for tightening/loosening the harness, but once the SafeStop portion is pulled under the seat, it seems to have much more difficulty
moving along underneath the seat base. After it has stretched out a little bit, with the fabric covering of the SafeStop bunching at the back of the base and seat bight, I am no longer able to continue tightening it to the point that I need to for my particular sized child(ren). I can only assume that this is not the intended way that the SafeStop should function, with the cord stretched taut perpetually, and the fabric bunched up at the back of the seat.

I tried a neighbor's hefty 35 lb. 2-1/2 yr. old in the seat, in the 4th harness slots also, and I can get it tightened adequately for her,
barely-- I have to pull quite hard to get the SafeStop stretched up under the seat a little bit, but can't go further by more than a cm. I
assume this issue would not be much of a problem for larger toddlers and preschoolers.

Also, I changed the harness slots to the topmost position and reinstalled the seat, and with that configuration there is no issue with
tightening at all. But in any position below that, the amount of slack in the harness increases, causing the SafeStop to be pulled into
position underneath the seat base and stretched in a way I can only assume affects its intended function.

He emailed back that, while only a handful of people have reported this particular problem, they did improve the design by deepening that channel about 7 months ago. Newer seats should have no trouble with this issue. He is sending me a new seat, and I'm sending back the old one (keeping the cover). :love:

Last edited:

LuvBug

dang maybe I should buy an older DOM radian just so I can join the club too lol!!!!!

Ok not really, Im holding out for the new triumph, but if it isnt all it is said to be the radian is our only other option for a spare for the 3 kiddos.

Yayness! :love: Russ says they'll probably mail out my new seat next week, so within the next 10-12 days I should have my new Radian! :love:

He also confirmed that the cover for the Radian 80 CAN be used on the 65's-- the plastic shells are the same, only the steel is different. :thumbsup:

becca011906

Senior Community Member
my seat is the same way when i try to tighten it it's a coastal so it's got the flatter back too... :( mabye i'll email in a week or so... don't want to bombard them emails but it's and issue when i let allie ride in it can't tighten it at all, i have to leave it tightened up on abby.

solmama

I hadn't really thought of this as an issue, but I'm not as into car seats as you all are. Our Radian also has the same problem. I cannot tighten the straps while my daughter is in the seat. I have to take her out, tighten, and then put her back in. I usually just leave it, so it can be a bit of a struggle to get her strapped in.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC