Question Do you let your kiddos pick their own seat cover?

kidrepair

DD3 will be getting a FR85 soon and I was going to go with the Livia cover, I don't think she will care, DD2 will be needing a new booster by the end of the year, (our PW is expiring), I was going to get DD2 a matching PWSGL in Livia, problem is, she is used to the nice plush granite cover on her PW and is really wanting another plush cover, and if I read correctly the only cover that is all plush is the Cowmoo, not crazy about it but she has decided that is what she wants and now DD3 wants the same in her FR. I realize the cow only comes in the SG, we do not have latch now but hoping to once our ancient van dies....soon I hope.

So do you let your kids pick their own seats?Or do you get them what you would prefer? I know if I got Livia they would be fine with it, but they are old enough to voice their opinion even if I'm not crazy about the pattern, and will 2 cows in the backseat drive me crazy? LOL

ADS

christineka

If there are options, I let them pick. I'm more interested in pleasing my oldest children so they'll love their boosters even if no one their age rides in one. I do car seat switcheroo with the younger 4 so often that they just get what they get. Fortunately, the boys' only request is no pink, the baby doesn't care, and the 6 yo is just excited to have a different car seat.

amelia222

Yep, I showed dd the options for MA covers and she fell in love with the moo. She talked about it every day for a month until I finally broke down and bought one. She was 20 months at the time.

crunchierthanthou

yes, if they're all the same price, but I'd try to talk them out of anything cowmoo. :p

I let ds pick his Monterey cover, but there aren't many options. I was kind of surprised at the one he went with.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I guess it depends how strongly I feel (or my kid feels) about it. Some seats I have a definite preference(s). Others I don't.

crunchierthanthou said:
but I'd try to talk them out of anything cowmoo. :p

Ah! Finally a point on which we don't agree! (I love cowmoo but so far haven't had the opportunity to own any.)

Mom2FiveGirls

Yes, I let them pick. I choose the seat, they pick the cover. Or I have narrowed it down to a couple of seats and then let them try them out and see which one they like best.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yup, absolutely. Kid cooperation is key. I usually go even further & choose a couple carseats for the kid to tell me which is most comfortable & then I let them choose the cover (sometimes from a few of my own personal favorite design options though)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org {please disregard typos!}

msg221

I have part-time kids, so I chose the covers. Plus none of them were old enough at the time to voice any opinions. When it's time for boosters, I'll let them choose. It'll probably be Nour & Zain's choice, since they will be in them most of the time.

agave

Unfortunately I didn't even have a say in the covers on my current seats but my oldest will have input on her next seat and cover.

gsdguenter

So far I've picked all the seats and covers, but have purposely chosen covers I know DD1 would like. DD2 hasn't yet voiced any opinions, but is starting to follow DD1's obsession for princesses and girly things :rolleyes:

For boosters, or if we end up needing/wanting combination seats then I will let them pick covers, maybe even seat after I decided which seats/boosters work well for them. It won't be a free for all, but a choice from ones I've already deemed appropriate, kwim.

BudgieStew

Not until the latest seat I bought/ordered. I wanted a CowMoo PW for DD but she wanted the Pink Sky. If the Liva was available in Canada I would have ordered that one happily though. I bought a TB last week as well but didn't let DS have any choice in cover as the store had what it had and there were no other option then the SpitFire which is quite nice by the way.

scoutingbear

I have picked all the covers so far (not a lot of choices...we got GN"s when they first came out...our choice was grey, grey, grey, or grey. We bought the first 2 turbo boosters before the Let's Go cover (which we have one of also), and the most readily available one around here is any type of combination of black and red, radian 65? grey, and we have an old style RSTV...grey.) I let A pick which Harmony he wanted...but at waly world that day and he chose the camouflage instead of pink. The only one that truly has had a choice so far has been C for his Frontier 85 and he chose Maui Blue. M has color in her CCO and MR, but I chose those.

Pixels

So far my child has been way toying to express an opinion (4 months or less) or I was buying clearance seats where you get what you get, take it or leave it. I do plan to let her choose which cover she likes the next time I buy a seat, assuming it's not a clearance deal. I will limit/guide her choices as the cover must be GN.

leighi123

For the first radian, I got nitro because I liked the red better than any of the other colors at the time. Ds didn't really care.

When I got Flora, he picked it out off the website, he calls it his surfer seat.

For Bently, I got it because its the same color as my dad's car interior, which means my dad will leave it in the car. If I had a contrasting/stand out color, he would be taking it out of there all the time which is a pain.

Now we never use the nitro cover, and he doesn't seem to prefer one seat over the other between bently and flora, probably because he likes the flora carseat best, but my dad's car best, so either way he is happy.

I want to sell one of the covers and it will probably be nitro if I can figure out what a fair price is!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC