HELP!

Jessica61624

I'M at a consignment shop and there is a lovely century seat. I bought it to the owner attn and she seemed surprised. Also wakes her how they wash the straps and she admitted to putting them in the washer. I told her is it not ok and she said she couldn't sell them dirty. What else can I do?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Probably nothing, other than buying it to keep someone else from getting it.

If your state has a law against selling crashed seats you could try that. Ask her to price it wasn't in a collision. (California has such a law. Not sure others do.)

Pixels

Expired = illegal in a state with a proper use clause. Same with washing them any way other than how the manufacturer instructs. Sometimes legal is a more effective argument. You can also point out the liability that she is taking by selling a seat that she knows is unsafe.

Jessica61624

She flat out told me its the parent responsibility to check them. One was 2008 and an evenflo was 2007al! The officer said there is nothing he can do. I'm going to review them anywhere I can! Before I got kicked out I wanted all the shoppers there of the dangers of buying a used seat and that she admitted she didn't care.

KristinJ

oh man, that is terrible. You should contact your local news station...and let her know you will be contacting them. Hopefully the fear of bad publicity will help her realize that it IS her job to sell safe items to parents...and that she should be well aware of what to look for when accepting a used seat.

Jessica61624

KristinJ said:
oh man, that is terrible. You should contact your local news station...and let her know you will be contacting them. Hopefully the fear of bad publicity will help her realize that it IS her job to sell safe items to parents...and that she should be well aware of what to look for when accepting a used seat.

I didn't even think of that! I'm going to contact them all!!!!

Jessica61624

Starlight said:
All Century seats should be expired by now, too. A pity she doesn't care. :(

That's how I knew it was expired. I wasn't even looking but it was obvious!!!

Another mom I seen in the parking lot had her 8 month old ffing in a smart seat!! I didnt say anything I already caused enough trouble.

Last edited:

Jessica61624

This is what I wrote...changes? Any thing to add?
A kids consignment shop, Just for kids, in Everett is knowingly selling unsafe children car seats. I visited the shop and noticed a century car seat. I knew that it was expired because the company sold to graco and stopped manufacturing seats sometime around 2000.I brought the seat to the owner and she told me its the parents concern not hers. She refused to remove the seats. This is a huge safety concern. Manufactures test car seats and know how long they will perform properly. Each seat is stamped with a DO NOT USE AFTER month/year.
The seats I pointed out clearly stated do not use after Dec 2008 and July 2008.

As car crashes are the #1 killer for children the last thing we need is to be using expired and unsafe seats.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I might drop "why" you knew it was expired -- just that the seats were expired, you pointed it out, and she called the cops on you instead of removing the seats.

Generally speaking I'm not a huge proponent of being a consignment store vigilante, but... calling the cops!? Good gracious.

Jessica61624

Carrie_R said:
I might drop "why" you knew it was expired -- just that the seats were expired, you pointed it out, and she called the cops on you instead of removing the seats.

Generally speaking I'm not a huge proponent of being a consignment store vigilante, but... calling the cops!? Good gracious.

I don't usually go either because I can't deal with the massive amount of stuff! I went for a rf mirror since dd broke ours.

Jessica61624

Here a picture of the evenflo expired 2007
IMAG0624.jpg

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The people that run that store are jerks!! Sorry it was such a mess. I only saw a couple car seats in there and they were current but I haven't been there for years.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

Jessica61624

An Aurora said:
The people that run that store are jerks!! Sorry it was such a mess. I only saw a couple car seats in there and they were current but I haven't been there for years.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

I think they are doing bad. They wont let you use store credit for big items now. They need the cash!

Last edited:

mom2kk

If you have the fortitude to handle it as far as time and being 'out there', please do go to the media! Not only will the shop possibly change their ways, but just by discussing it on the news people may pay attention to when their own seats are expired, etc. Go for it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC