Police cars - do they have seatbelts in the back?

JaRylan

Do people who are detained and handcuffed get buckled up? Just one of the strange things that has popped into my head tonight.

ADS

SPJ&E

In VA they do.

The state police though aren't allowed to put the people in the back...they have to handcuff them (of course) and put them in the front seat and buckle them in if they HAVE to transport them...but they usually just call the city/town police and have them come pick them up. My dad says it's because of a policy about how to treat them and that it looks better on them...seems silly to me!

Okay, that was off topic, sorry!

JaRylan

I'm not sure what they do here in Saskatchewan/Canada. Guess I haven't been in the back of a cop car in a looooong time. The one and only time was when I was 12 and the police gave me a ride home after someone stole one of my running shoes while I was at the Thursday night gym/activity night that the local police used to run at my school. LOL.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm not sure what they do here in Saskatchewan/Canada. Guess I haven't been in the back of a cop car in a looooong time. The one and only time was when I was 12 and the police gave me a ride home after someone stole one of my running shoes while I was at the Thursday night gym/activity night that the local police used to run at my school. LOL.

Hahaha, fun story to tell Rylan as he gets older. :p

Here in Edmonton they have seatbelts, I'd imagine it's standard since it's the law to buckle up...

JaRylan

Maybe it's just on tv (Law & Order last night) where they don't buckle up, lol. Darn it, I hate when tv fails to show proper restraint use. :rolleyes: thinking about all the babies and kids we see improperly restrained on tv and I'm thinking about the accused and their safety.

Hahaha, fun story to tell Rylan as he gets older. :p

For some reason when they asked where my friend and I lived I said that I was staying overnight at her house and then I walked across the back alley to my house in my one shoe in the snow. Crazy kid.

southpawboston

all police cruisers come equipped with rear outboard and center belts, same as passenger cars, per FMV regulations i believe. whether or not the arrested passengers back there are required to wear them, i wouldn't know. i think in some states it is not even a requirement for rear passengers to wear seatbelts, but i may be wrong on that.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Maybe it's just on tv (Law & Order last night) where they don't buckle up, lol.
Most states do not require passengers under a certain age (usually legal driving age) to be buckled :thumbsdown: Most public service or emergency workers are also not legally required to buckle *SIGH*

ThreeBeans

Most states do not require passengers under a certain age (usually legal driving age) to be buckled :thumbsdown: Most public service or emergency workers are also not legally required to buckle *SIGH*

When I was working, you are not required to wear a seatbelt in the back of the ambulance when you are transporting a patient. It interferes with patient duties. You just can't do the stuff you need to do when you are strapped down. You are however required to wear a seatbelt when not patient loaded. I always did when I was driving.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
That, I can understand -- I've heard of service/rescue workers being allowed not to buckling in other vehicle types when they're not even helping anyone, though & that bothers me....

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
all police cruisers come equipped with rear outboard and center belts, same as passenger cars, per FMV regulations i believe. whether or not the arrested passengers back there are required to wear them, i wouldn't know. i think in some states it is not even a requirement for rear passengers to wear seatbelts, but i may be wrong on that.

Your correct most states after the age of 18 the rear passengers are not required by law to be restrained. It's just the front seat passengers must wear a seatbelt.

beeman

If the seat has a seatbelt installed, you must use it in Saskatchewan. The cops probably don't buckle them in so that they can get another ticket.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
My dh is a county officer, he's got a cruiser that's a '02 it has switchable belts in the back that are L/S out board and center lap only. He cuffs and buckles prisnors and also lockes the seat belt (after i showed him how to do this) LOL he will be getting a new car this week that's a '07 he's so excited!
our state doesn't required anyone over 18 to be buckled in the back seats or in trucks until i think this changes july 1st. but i'm not sure of that. so he's not required to buckle them but for his safety since he doesn't have a cage he dose buckle and lock the belt when he has to transport .

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, they have belts, and no, you are NOT allowed to install carseats in them (there's that grate between the seats of many cars, some back seats even have plastic molded seats....easy to hose out...).

I hate they never wear their belts on Bones... I mean, you'd think SHE'd be smart enough?!?!?! :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC