Abandoned baby in Walmart.

JaRylan

They actually have video surveillance of the person believed to be the person who gave birth entering the store...she exited 14 minutes later.

Baby John Doe's mother still missing

Wed, May 23, 2007 06:10 PM CST
E-mail this to a friend

Baby John Doe remains in hospital in serious, but stable condition.

Linda Nosbush has researched family dynamics and child development for years. She says this mother may have felt abandoning her newborn was her only option.

LINDA NOSBUSH/National Council of Early Childhood Development: This young woman and her young child did fall between the cracks of our support systems within Prince Albert. Obviously this is a sign to us we need to be more excessable.

The woman who gave birth in the washroom at Wal-Mart in Prince Albert is still missing. Police say their main concern is for her safety and they haven't decided if charges will be laid.

SGT. RHONDA MEAKIN/Prince Albert Police Service: It's still early in the investigation. We only have the little infomation provided to you. So until we get the whole story, we can't even begin to look at that yet.

This criminal lawyer says police have a few options. They can either not press charges or the mother could face jail time.

KRIS EGGUM/Defense Lawyer: Depending on where the child was found in the washroom, if it were on the floor maybe they'd look at it better than if the child was found somewhere else in a more dangerous position.

Until the mother is found the baby will remain under the care of social services.

YVONNE SKRUDLAND/Child and Family Services: If there aren't any parents able to care for a child then we would become invovled. We would look for a safe place for that child to live, until some plan could be put inplace. First thing we look at usually is family.

Nosbush says funding has recently been secured to hire an outreach worker to help in the obstetrics unit within Victoria Hospital.

LINDA NOSBUSH/National Council of Early Childhood Development: So this person will help to contact and talk with the young mom and help her with her plans before she leaves hospital to help to make sure she has the resources that she needs to parent her child.

Prince Albert police have obtained video surveillance of the mother entering the Wal-Mart store and exiting after giving birth. Its expected police will release that video to the media and the public Thursday.

ADS
Wow. She must have been really scared. I can't imagine being so scared that I wouldn't know what to do or where to go. It happened in Canada, right? I know here there are laws that you can safely leave your baby at the firestation/policestation/hospital, etc. without being charged...it was put in place to avoid things like that...I am not sure statistically if it has helped or not.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Wow. She must have been really scared. I can't imagine being so scared that I wouldn't know what to do or where to go. It happened in Canada, right? I know here there are laws that you can safely leave your baby at the firestation/policestation/hospital, etc. without being charged...it was put in place to avoid things like that...I am not sure statistically if it has helped or not.

We have the same laws in the US too. What a sad situation for both mother & baby. I hope both are okay and she gets the help she needs.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
It depends on where you live. Some states don't have Safe Haven laws. However, even in states that don't have them, you're still less likely to get into legal trouble if you drop the baby off at a hospital vs. a Walmart.

R&J'sMom

This disgusts me. I don't care how bad your life is going, leaving your helpless, newborn baby in Walmart should never be an option. There are so many places to go for help and this "mother" did not choose any of them. She should be locked up for a long time.

beeman

Well, now you can get everything at walmart :eek: ! I'm sure we have safe haven laws here. It's so scary when this stuff happens so close to home.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm not sure if we have safe haven laws here per-say, but we have free health care, and social workers on every maternity ward, so there's no reason why this woman couldn't have delivered her baby at hospital and then told someone she didn't want to keep him/her. (I haven't read the story yet.)

How scary... at least the baby is safe & I hope mom gets the help she needs.

JaRylan

The Walmart staff held a barbecue to raise money for a trust fund for the baby. I'm wondering if there will be an update tomorrow on the news.

JaRylan

On the news tonight they said that the mother had come forward with some other members of her family. So far no charges have been laid. She is over eighteen. The local news is doing a poll about whether or not she should be charged.

So sad.

ThreeBeans

Statistically, women who abandon/kill their newborns are...

1. Late teens/early twenties
2. White
3. Educated or from educated families
4. Raised in a very religious home

The belief is that these girls/women are so afraid of what their families will do to them being pregnant and not married that they go sort of into a dissociative fugue during pregnancy and delivery :(

JaRylan

Statistically, women who abandon/kill their newborns are...

1. Late teens/early twenties
2. White
3. Educated or from educated families
4. Raised in a very religious home

The belief is that these girls/women are so afraid of what their families will do to them being pregnant and not married that they go sort of into a dissociative fugue during pregnancy and delivery :(

This situation is probably the exact opposite. The Walmart is in northern Saskatchewan and they said the woman was from LaRonge - which has a large native population, that tends to have a high dropout rate and also has a high rate of drug and alcohol abuse. At least she has now had medical attention. There are a lot of foster kids in the province that are FAS (fetal-alcohol syndrome).

But I know what you are saying about the state of mind that can happen to a young person in this situation...I had a friend in highschool who denied she was pregnant and then delivered in the summer and gave the baby up for adoption.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC