Question Is this safe?

mamakaimon

So my 16 month old is RF in a True Fit.

The other day we had to pull the seats out and I saw the top tether swinging so I go to clip it back to the back of the seat and see this:
DSCN7423.jpg

So I call and they send me this:
DSCN7420-1.jpg

After calling them to find out what the heck it is, the send me instructions on how to attach it. Three steps. Easy. So I do and I get this:
DSCN7426.jpg

It pushes the inside part up but it still has a gap. It's not a completely closed hook. I emailed back with this picture and have not received a response. I've triple checked the super simple instructions and I know I have it on right.

ADS

mommycat

That is really wierd. But I think it is probably fine to use. Have you tried it on a tether anchor? My gut feeling is that it will slide through with a bit of effort, and that the springy tab is mostly there so the tether doesn't get detached by mistake when it is loose. Once it's in tight, the hook is kept on by tension, and in a crash situation the springy tab wouldn't hold up to any load anyway. I am also guessing that the part they sent you might be a solution for a broken-off springy tab as well, since it would obstruct the opening enough to keep the anchor from slipping out easily.

ETA I will be looking forward to seeing their answer.

mamakaimon

I haven't tried it on a tether anchor. I was able to clip it on without uninstalling the seat. I have however clipped it to the back of the seat.

No the plate doesn't slide. It's hard to explain but it clipped on to the sides and to the top hole near the actual strap

oh and in the instructions they sent me the final picture shows no gap

amyd

This is a common issue with the TF. My tether was like that too (I don't have the seat any longer). Initially, they were sending directions on bending it back with a screwdriver. There's some old threads on it somewhere. I'll see if I can find one. IME, the tether stayed attached just fine when the seat was installed FFing.

mamakaimon

Wow! Thanks.

Actually it doesn't surprise me. DH commented about the fact that they even had a piece to do this. He said that it must be a common problem.

mamakaimon

Update:

They reviewed the picture of the fix and they decided that they are replacing the seat.

I'm a little nervous though because I cut the strap off that held the latch buckle to the seat... I couldn't get the install tight enough because it got in the way. They said they would send me a new seat and then have me ship back the current one. And that I could keep the cover. So do you think they will overlook this?

mommycat

Really? I wasn't expecting that but glad to hear it. Guess my gut feeling was off. ;) Hope the new seat will be problem-free.

mamakaimon

I wasn't expecting it either to be honest. Especially after reading a bunch of threads about it on here. But if they think it's best then I'll go with that. The CS Rep has been really nice and very helpful.

LittlePeanut

I don't think that's an issue. I've heard of a few people who found the tail that held the UAS strap to the seat was getting in the way and cut it too. Not that I'd recommend that since things that are BRIGHT ORANGE are not intended to be cut ;)

mamakaimon

Should I be upset that they replaced my seat with one that is a year older?

Mine has a DOM of 2010. They sent me a 2009.

They just knocked a year of life off my seat.

ETA: wait a minute this isn't the same model! There's no level ball on the front and the manual doesn't specifically say that it can be used more upright for older children!

mamakaimon

I called them. They have a picture on file from when I called them about the strap (whether it was considered fraying or normal wear). That pic showed the level indicator. So even though the CS rep was unaware that any of my model came with that feature. She's investigating. And will call me back.

mamakaimon

Well that's what I was thinking too. It's not right that I get an older seat.

I don't think that's an issue. I've heard of a few people who found the tail that held the UAS strap to the seat was getting in the way and cut it too. Not that I'd recommend that since things that are BRIGHT ORANGE are not intended to be cut ;)

I missed this when I posted before. I just wanted to say that I know full well not to mess with my car seat. I actually came on here for trouble shooting help because it was getting in the way. And I read a bunch of comments from techs saying that *they* would be comfortable cutting it off. So I made the decision that I was comfortable with cutting it as well based on the information I read.

mamakaimon

So apparently the model listed on the bottom of my seat doesn't correspond to the features of the seat. The model number according to both the sticker and the manual is 630C. But according to the woman I spoke to the 630 models don't have the level ball (that she knows of). Even though mine apparently does. And the manual that came with it refers to it and has a picture of it.

It's confusing. They're "investigating" the issue.

mamakaimon

It's been over a week and I haven't heard anything from them. I tried to call yesterday but the call centre closed at noon so I missed them.

I'll have to call Monday.

lenats31

Personally i would not feel good at all about using the seat with a tether hook like that. Good thing they replaced the seat for you. This just shows that this is a defect tether hook that is not safe to use.:)

SORRY LittlePeanut, I didn´t mean to quote you!
Lena

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
So apparently the model listed on the bottom of my seat doesn't correspond to the features of the seat. The model number according to both the sticker and the manual is 630C. But according to the woman I spoke to the 630 models don't have the level ball (that she knows of). Even though mine apparently does. And the manual that came with it refers to it and has a picture of it.

It's confusing. They're "investigating" the issue.

They added the ball indicator on the Canadian seats in 2010. Your seat would have a red line on the side of it indicating for it to be level to ground. Those seats were allowed to be installed more upright as well. Measuring on the exterior they allowed 35* which actually equates to about 30* on the interior since the inside angle and outside angle don't match.

Also, I didn't reply sooner, but the top tether really isn't a significant risk from what I've been told. The problem has been around for awhile and they've been aware of it long enough to have a fix available for it when a parent complains. However, the little flexible thing isn't what's holding the top tether on and if the tether is properly attached and tightened it's not going to come off in a collision. If you'd like my source you're welcome to message me and I can give you more specific details. I'm also surprised that they completely replaced your seat, but it's nice that they've given you good service.

As for the flexible little orange strap, CMVSS 213 and 213.1 require that the UAS comes attached to the child restraint. That little strap is meeting that part of the requirement. It doesn't do anything from a functional crash perspective, but it is keeping the UAS with the seat and that is required by standards. In technicality you probably shouldn't re-sell if you've cut it off, but from a functional/safety perspective, there is absolutely no safety concerns with cutting the strap.

mamakaimon

They added the ball indicator on the Canadian seats in 2010. Your seat would have a red line on the side of it indicating for it to be level to ground. Those seats were allowed to be installed more upright as well. Measuring on the exterior they allowed 35* which actually equates to about 30* on the interior since the inside angle and outside angle don't match.

My seat has a DOM of 2010 and it has the level ball on it. The replacement seat they sent me has a DOM of 2009 and no ball. But they both have the same model number on the sticker. It might be a minor issue but I'm annoyed at the downgrade and the year they took off the use of the seat when they were the ones who decided it was necessary to send me a new seat. I didn't ask for one.

Also, I didn't reply sooner, but the top tether really isn't a significant risk from what I've been told. The problem has been around for awhile and they've been aware of it long enough to have a fix available for it when a parent complains. However, the little flexible thing isn't what's holding the top tether on and if the tether is properly attached and tightened it's not going to come off in a collision. If you'd like my source you're welcome to message me and I can give you more specific details. I'm also surprised that they completely replaced your seat, but it's nice that they've given you good service.

I had read this on here before actually. But I emailed them a pic just to be sure. My email said "I put (the piece) on the clip. However the inside piece still does not come to touch the hook. See the second attached picture. I can clip it, it’s just not completely closed. Is that safe? " I didn't imply that I wanted a new seat. Just confirmation that the fix was correct.

As for the flexible little orange strap, CMVSS 213 and 213.1 require that the UAS comes attached to the child restraint. That little strap is meeting that part of the requirement. It doesn't do anything from a functional crash perspective, but it is keeping the UAS with the seat and that is required by standards. In technicality you probably shouldn't re-sell if you've cut it off, but from a functional/safety perspective, there is absolutely no safety concerns with cutting the strap.

I head read this on here before cutting it too. I generally don't mess with my seats! But I searched for threads on trouble tightening and I had read this. So I felt comfortable cutting it. I won't be selling it because I'm supposed to ship that seat back to them. But because they are investigating the differences between the seat they sent me and the seat I have, I currently have both. I'm only using mine though, and it's RF since my DS is only 17 months.

That said it's been nearly two weeks since they said they would investigate and call me back. I called yesterday just to ask for an update and I was told by the woman on the phone that she could not speak intelligently about what is going on because there are so many people involved in it already. She said she would speak to her supervisor and call me back. She hasn't. So I still don't have a clue what's going on.

ETA: I just got a phone call. They are looking for a Canadian approved/stickered version of the seat I have. They are just having trouble locating one and that is why it is taking time.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC