Rumi Air - my thoughts and install pics

JOII

I checked out the Rumi Air today. The BRU worker took it out of the box just for me :D LOTS of pics, but no measuring tape, sorry! Models are 3y5m, 38lbs, 37", short and stocky and 18m, 23lbs, 31", on the small side for her age. She REAR FACES in the car, though she is of the proper weight she is NOT TALL ENOUGH for this seat. I just used her as a model since I could. :)

Firstly, I thought it looked promising and was excited for the seat. I STILL like the way it looks, even after seeing it, though I know I am in the minority lol. But for me, this seat is a big dud :(

Good - I love the little latch drawer on the bottom. Install was very easy. I like where the head rest lays, didnt seem like there would ever be a big gap, sort of how it is on the GN when you first raise it up.

Bad - Crotch strap is REALLY short. Really. I thought I was doing something wrong, but its just that short. I could barely buckle my 3 year old in (she is chubby in the thighs though). That right there was an immediate no go for me, its that bad.
It was hard to raise the headrest while installed, almost to the point where I could have had to uninstall it to raise it, which defeats the purpose. This is probbaly because of the angle which you need to install it, which pushes the head rest backwards.
The straps are hard to loosen and some times impossible. I realized its because the splitter plate gets STUCK in the drawer on the bottom. It happened quite frequently to the point where I had to uninstall it to move the splitter plate. Twice. And that was just in 10 minutes of playing with it.
The recline makes no sense and was insane in my vehicle. Also, though I properly and tightly installed it, the seat started to slip backwards with my kids pulling on it and getting in and out five times because of the ridiculous gap behind the seat.
The shoulder belt guide while in booster mode seems to be way to close to the neck, bringing the shoulder belt on the neck.
The harness straps are too close together and it didnt come with harness pads.
It LOOKS horrible rushed/cheap. The plastic is loose and misaligned everywhere. There are places where you can lightly pull and completely separate one plastic piece from another.

Lowest setting
5716630164_849171af51.jpg

Highest Setting
5716630996_d1f79e7c7c.jpg

Back of the seat, Little latch drawer, I like it.
5716629558_b628d23450.jpg

How the straps got caught. The splitter plate would fall behind the bar and get hung up there.
5716060751_845314e29c.jpg

Front view of a baby who didnt want to model (she was yelling STUCK :p I guess she knows she is too little for it :) )
5716594496_ec8545568f.jpg

Crotch strap
5716595242_6c4d79940a.jpg

Straps on neck (her chest clip is high but the straps are like this either way)
5716601538_07afdb3cef.jpg

Front:
5716042893_55c2ae2005.jpg

Side view:
5716044169_9ce2c966c2.jpg

HUGE GAP:
5716046963_0bc7f2e9c0.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

JOII

oops, I just saw other people were posting their pics in the other thread too, I didnt want to feel like I was stealing it, sorry for another thread :eek: :)

Kat_Momof3

thank you for these pics... I was hoping the line and the recline was an OPTION (like the MAX it could be reclined)... unhappy to see it is required.

and with the height restriction of 34" minimum, your 18mo old tester is right... she can't use that seat... lol.

Spam

I don't like it. It looks weird. How easy would it be to install unproperly by pushing the seat back against the vehicle seat like most other seats? So many parents don't thoroughly read the manual, just seems to me like it would probably be used incorrectly a lot.

JOII

I installed it "normally" too.

5716040997_204c403721.jpg

Looked fine, functioned fine, my daughter looked good in it. No idea whats up with the recline, its bizarre.

nmb

I installed it "normally" too.

Looked fine, functioned fine, my daughter looked good in it. No idea whats up with the recline, its bizarre.

I'm wondering if the angle at the front of the seat causes an increase in forward head excursion? Seems possible... Maybe the recline is the answer to that.

njkj

That recline is outrageous! Not only does it look funny and is a HUGE mis use factor but how much harness height is that making the seat lose?

jess71903

Ambassador
I'm usually willing to give a seat a chance, but that thing looks terrible. I think they need to go all the way back to formula on that one. They can keep the cup holders and the head pillows, but that's about it.

Chris

I played with this with my 4 yr old at bru today and I agree, this is a complete miss. The harness was a beast to adjust, and I didn't install it, so I wasn't fighting the splitter plate. The headrest took two (almost three) hands to move up and down, and I can see people damaging the seat when they wrestle the headrest. There also wasn't a really definite click with each adjustment so it was hard for me to tell if it was in place and how many"clicks" she had left before the harness was maxed out.

It was short!!! DD is on the second to the last slot on the GN with tons of room when boostered. On the Rumi, she was close to the max level in harness (at absolute most an inch left, hard to tell with the way it adjusted. ) and the booster level wasn't much higher. Seemed to me that it would be outgrown as a booster pretty close to outgrowing the harness. I didn't notice the short crotch strap, but I also didn't move it forward for my daughter so I may have assumed that was why it was short. I did notice the very narrow harness, and DD immediately complained. She hated the seat.

The only two things that I liked about this seat were the fact that the headrest doesn't look like it will cause flopping like the GN, and that nifty little storage drawer in the back.

As far as the recline, it was very unclear if this is necessary because the stickers show pictures of how to install with latch and seatbelt, and the seat wasn't reclined, but flush against the seatback. Then there was a big sticker with the level line, and a picture of the reclined seat installed and the big gap between the seat and car. Definitely something that needs clarification

Kat_Momof3

I know it's a first release... but MAN... definite fail... send it back to engineering...

has anyone been in the manual to see if maybe that's the MAX recline, not the required one?? (that's the only thing I see that might redeem a PORTION of the design.

ETA - does anyone know how to contact someone high-up enough at Dorel to make a difference by sharing all this with them??

christineka

I know it's a first release... but MAN... definite fail... send it back to engineering...

has anyone been in the manual to see if maybe that's the MAX recline, not the required one?? (that's the only thing I see that might redeem a PORTION of the design.

ETA - does anyone know how to contact someone high-up enough at Dorel to make a difference by sharing all this with them??

You can try their facebook page. According to the rep there, the recline is mandatory.

Emi's Mommy

Is the upcoming Essential Air 65 in Canada the same as the Rumi Air?

At $229 it's a fair bit less than the Nauti is at BRU.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC