3rd Row for Adults in Acura MDX?

kalishea

Hi there,
Anyone (TechnoGranola?) have an 2008+ Acura MDX that can tell me how comfortable the 3rd row is for 2 small adults? I have taken a test drive and climbed in the back but I would like an opinion from someone who actually has and uses it. This would be a 3-4 times a year situation for 2 small adults to ride in the back about 50 miles.
Any thoughts? We are also looking at the GMC Acadia.
Thanks!

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm 5'6", so I'll ride in our 3rd row tonight and see what it's like. I've only ever sat back there when the car's been parked. We have a 2011.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thanks for PMing me the thread folks!

I'm 5'4 and my mom is 5'2 and we ride there for 110km one way (so back that far several hours later) a few times a year and it's bearable. We chat the whole way and that hour goes by quick. In the winter the windows get frosty back there and I find I get chilly so we have a fleece blanket we can throw over us. It's bumpy back there compared to the 1st and 2nd rows which are super smooth.

I wouldn't want to do a longer road trip as my knees would get sore fromthe angle they are at. My mom said she'd be fine for longer.

Oh you'll need to do the calculation to convert 110km to miles but I checked your 50 miles and it was about 80km which is around a 45 min. highway drive here and I think anything under an hour is totally doable. And if you have a break in between, you can do another hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree with Techno, it's . . . bearable for a little while. I think of it as a kids' seat really. I took a couple of pics so you can see what it's like with my legs, lol. I'm longer in the legs than in the torso and I had to turn my size 9s sideways to get my feet in (I crawled in through the back). The 2nd pic I took holding the phone right up to my eye.

As I was sitting there, I was reminded that the ride felt a lot like sitting in the back of a school bus :D. Definitely not as nice as riding up front!

Attachments

• 3rd row legroom.jpg
    3rd row legroom.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 3rd row eye level.jpg
    3rd row eye level.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 18

I'm 5'7". I've been in the previous generation's 3rd row. Only for about 30 min, but I can't see how another 30 min would be unbearable. If it's just 3-4 times a year, I think it's totally doable. I think I just shifted sideways a bit or spread my legs. Not really that big of a deal. I've been in far worse backseats (like the jump seat of a compact truck).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC