Was going to buy a Radian- should I not with the SL issues?

KristinJ

I need a new seat for my DD since we were rear-ended. I've already purchased a Roundabout 55, but am considering returning it and getting the Radian 65. Weight isn't an issue to jump to the 80...she's a peanut at 21 lbs and nearly two years old.

I like the low profile of the Radian, and I like that it offers more leg room rear-facing. I'm hesitating on buying one even to try out because I've heard the harness adjuster is a HUGE pain, and with everything going on with the SuperLatch not working....

should I go ahead and buy one and plan to install with the seat belt? Or, just stick with my Roundabout? I drive a Dodge Grand Caravan, and she sits in one of the captain's chairs (sometimes drivers side, sometimes passenger side).

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I much prefer my Britax to my Radian, especially rf'ing. My dd will be 21mo in a couple of days and is pushing 30lbs and is quite comfortable in hers with plenty of room to grow.

armywife12

I wouldn't get one unless the extra weight limit was needed or you needed a narrow seat. I felt this way before the SL issues too though. With such a peanut, I'd go with a Compass True Fit. It is low profile, has a shell a tad taller than the Radian, offers a ton of leg room, and isn't having any issues right now. Any Britax convertible will work as well but won't offer as much leg room.

christineka

I love the radian! (Glad I have an old one with the old latch strap.) I'd have no qualms about buying a new one on sale and installing with a seatbelt.

The true fit is a nice seat too if you have room.

cookie123

I don't have the new Marathon, but I hated the old one between the adjuster and the high base. I like the Radian much better - I like it's slimness and it's low profile. I gave up adjusting the harness, but the last couple of days I have had to adjust it and it works pretty well rf if you just grab the harness at the back of the seat and snug up the harness on the kiddo, then pull the harness adjuster strap. I use a seat belt install rf in the center as it doesn't fit work behind the driver in my car, although the passenger is okay for a short person in front.

KaiLing

Weight isn't an issue to jump to the 80...she's a peanut at 21 lbs and nearly two years old.

The Radian has always been the best choice for my giant boy, but I don't love it. I don't think peanuts *need* Radians. (I sometimes wish I had a peanut. They're so easy to scoop up and cuddle on the go.)

Stelvis

I mean, if you can get a seatbelt installation, there's no reason to think it's not safe. And many people don't have the SL issues. The question is, do you want to give your money to a company that is treating their customers like this? If you don't need the narrowness or the huge weight limits, then I'd look at other options first.

christineka

The Radian has always been the best choice for my giant boy, but I don't love it. I don't think peanuts *need* Radians. (I sometimes wish I had a peanut. They're so easy to scoop up and cuddle on the go.)

Peanuts don't *need* radians, but they are nice seats for small kids too.

aisraeltax

im torn. if you are looking at a Radian XT, i would say yes go for it. but if you are looking at any of the SL's, unless you purchase from amazon, diapers.com or some other place that accepts returns, i would say NO!!! Apparently purchasing from SK is a mistake b/c they dont do returns. I know for a fact Amazon does but honestly, i would stay away from SL's right now. :(

this is opposite my advice prior to this incident. i have LOVED Radians...i have bragged about how awesome the company is for releasing crash data, etc. etc. etc. I am almost heartbroken over a car seat company.

Stelvis

There is a lady right now who bought hers off of SKJP's site 3 weeks ago and is having SL issues, and was told by Susan yesterday that "they do not accept returns.". So yeah, if you buy one, buy off of Diapers.com or somewhere that you're sure you can return it after using it. And test out the SL right away in any car/seating position you might potentially use it.

dhardawa

I wouldn't buy anything from Sunshine Kids. You might be able to get around the LATCH issue by installing with the seatbelt, but how many other problems does the seat have that they are covering up and lying about?

jjordan

If you have a reason why a Radian is the best seat for you, then I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. However it sounds as though any number of other seats would work just as well in your situation. If you like Britax, no reason not to stick with that.

bnsnyde

We have 2 Radian XT's (so no SL issues) but will want a third one within the next two years. I am hoping they come out with a new improved one. We truly need the 3 in a row.

I have trouble with seatbelt install on these FF, so I want SL!!!!! But I don't want to buy one b/c I heard of the problems.

I can play the waiting game as I don't need the seat right away.
For now, I bought a new Britax seat for my toddler instead of the Radian, as I didn't want to deal with the Radian RF, if it even fit that way. They do not fit RF in our van, third row (I tried). They are FF but the straps are super hard to adjust. i hate that about it but I have the kids in the same amount of clothing now each day, so the straps stay at the same adjustment level. One thing I like is the kids can buckle by themselves, ages 3 and 4. And the seats are very sturdy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC